New 2019 Soul EV - Charging Best Practices

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baxpat

Hello Soul EV folks... we just took delivery of our new 2019 Soul EV last week. While the battery is the same as the 2018 model (30 kW), the reserved charging appears to be different. I am not sure if this is specific to Canada or specific to the 2019 model (we are just outside of Vancouver, BC)

There are 2 modes of reserved charging:
a. Start and stop at a specific time
b. Start at a specific time and stop when charge is 100%

If seen lots of reference in the forum to setting the charge to end at 90% to prolong battery life. We don't seem to have this option. Is this no longer the preferred charging routine? I've directed this question to my dealer with no reply so far.

Also if we want to plug the car in so that the climate schedule is followed (and vehicle warmed prior to the morning drive), but we don’t want to charge the car, how do we does this? This is related to not wanting to push the car to 100% charge and degrading the battery...

Looking forward to more activity in this forum!

Those are the same options in our 2018, so nothing new there that I'm aware of. Granted, we're in Canada too - but I doubt that makes a difference. Will be interested to see what others say.

I was under the impression that a 100% charge would actually leave a couple of kW untouched (~28 out of 30kW). I don’t recall the actual numbers, but the ideas was to avoid the damaging effects of a static complete charge. I believe the same applies for the bottom end of the battery, as excessive discharge is also (perhaps more) damaging.

I have been flying electric model airplanes for years and this practice will keep a battery in good shape for a long time.

In the end Lipo batteries all degrade. I’m banking on aftermarket options by the time I no longer have a useable range. These are popping up for the Prius already.

Back