Turtle mode 17 miles left

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LegoZ

My car went turtle mode with 17 miles left, SOH is 95.8. I missed it the first time I looked at the screenshot but when in LDC inhibit mode (went from low battery(fuel) directly into solid turtle and flashing ready light) the last 10 cells are just gone from the view.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W1p91H6QDmhfuXL0oWBfNhd29EdWBSo0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OnkqSKejGqYzjronwGiEVNK4bwkiczW0

-
The second of the two images shows that the cell #87 at 3.14V is much weaker than the others. The car will shut down once this cell reaches a critically low voltage, not when the average voltage of all the cells gets so low.

The SOH measure used by SoulEVSpy only looks at the deterioration of the worst cell. I am surprised it is showing 95.8% because that one bad cell seems to have lost much more capacity than the others. Perhaps the BMS has yet to adjust.

The first image with 10 cells missing is presumably a glitch. I haven't seen that specific glitch before, but communication errors from the car to the OBD reader are fairly common.

Once your BMS adjusts to the faulty cell I think your SOH will fall below 70% and you can go to Kia and get a replacement battery.
In the meantime it is probably best to keep your car charged in the middle and not use the top or bottom of the pack.

For those times when you do need to drive the extra mile when the car shuts down unexpectedly.
I have driven a car with a highly degraded single cell. You have to learn how to accelerate very slowly, and then once driving at a steady speed to regen frequently. While driving that cell loses voltage very fast compared to the rest, but when charging (regen) that cell gains voltage quickest.

-

JejuSoul said:
-
The second of the two images shows that the cell #87 at 3.14V is much weaker than the others. The car will shut down once this cell reaches a critically low voltage, not when the average voltage of all the cells gets so low.

The SOH measure used by SoulEVSpy only looks at the deterioration of the worst cell. I am surprised it is showing 95.8% because that one bad cell seems to have lost much more capacity than the others. Perhaps the BMS has yet to adjust.

The first image with 10 cells missing is presumably a glitch. I haven't seen that specific glitch before, but communication errors from the car to the OBD reader are fairly common.

Once your BMS adjusts to the faulty cell I think your SOH will fall below 70% and you can go to Kia and get a replacement battery.
In the meantime it is probably best to keep your car charged in the middle and not use the top or bottom of the pack.

For those times when you do need to drive the extra mile when the car shuts down unexpectedly.
I have driven a car with a highly degraded single cell. You have to learn how to accelerate very slowly, and then once driving at a steady speed to regen frequently. While driving that cell loses voltage very fast compared to the rest, but when charging (regen) that cell gains voltage quickest.

-

I have the car at the dealer today and he ran it down to 10% and it acted like it should, however he did notice cell 87 was low and he is keeping it and charging it fully, likely to calibrate the BMS and is getting more information to send to Kia. The tech was extremely friendly and pretty open with knowledge, so I'm pretty happy so far. I am expecting to get it back with sorry bud it's not bad enough yet, and if that is the case I will just use extra care not to put myself in a situation that it turtling me will a. put me in danger, b. make me late for anything important :)

Called dealer to follow up and see what the status was, after full test the battery qualified for replacement. I will be going Saturday to swap out loaner for a rental car and pick up all the other stuff from the car as I assume I'll be without it for a while.

I just got the car back today! haven't had a chance to look at things with soul spy yet though!

When I got it back indicated SOH 92.2%, yesterday i dropped it to 9% on dash and charged fully and SoulSpy still shows 92.2% so lower than the other battery but at least it works.

Back