Tcalp

Kia Battery Replacement Frustrations [HELP/ADVICE]?

Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:22 pm

Has anyone else had trouble getting Kia to warranty their battery on their Soul EV ? I can't get more than 80KM out of a charge, nor can I seem to put more than ~17-18kW of energy into the battery. I have had my car into the dealer(s) six or seven times now, many times paying out of pocket. Several cases for replacement have been made by the dealer, but KTAC/Kia Canada keeps refusing the replacement. I can't imagine what will happen this winter, as last winter was quite bad. I am nearly at the end of my warranty coverage and not sure what to do at this point.

Part of me is considering contacting local news stations, or filing a law suit, but either seems a process I'd rather not do.

IanL

Re: Kia Battery Replacement Frustrations [HELP/ADVICE]?

Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:51 pm

What does the dealer say the SOH is?

Tcalp

Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:20 am

The first time I brought it in they said 97%, last time I brought it in they said 85%

Tcalp

Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:24 am

On the larger range, I am taking the car down to 3-6% and re-charging to 94% via L3
Notice the kWh delivered, again, from 3-6% (not sure which) to 94%

All of these photos and additional ones have been provided to Kia Service / KTAC.

JejuSoul

Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:46 am

-
From the ABB charging data screen I would estimate your SOH to be around 65%. I don't know when this was taken.
From the 80km drives I would also estimate your SOH to be around 65%. This was back in June.

The SOH on my car varied by as much as 5%, depending on season, driving use and temperature.
I got a replacement battery authorised on a day that showed 69.5%, but kept the car for another 3 months while waiting for the replacement pack to arrive. In that time the SOH went back up above 70%. Maybe because the weather got cooler.

Hence it is possible that in June your car was legitimately above 70% SOH and not valid for warranty.
However the August screenshot of the Low EV Battery Warning is a strong sign that something is wrong with your pack.
For the ---km to appear the car only has a few km left.

I suggest you download the SoulEVSpy app and post the cell voltages. I think one or more of the cells has gone bad.
In the past when this happened the value for SOH as shown by SoulEVSpy or by Kia is also bad, but it may be that the fault in your car is such that the value for SOH is incorrect. In this case real data such as how far it drives, how much it charges and the cell voltages should be used instead of the SOH. You will need to persuade Kia Canada of this. And you will need recent data. The images from June and August won't convince them.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Tcalp

Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:44 am

I got SoulEV Spy today, it says my battery is at 78% SOH, here is a battery cell map.

I did another charge test today (took photos), intentionally drained my battery down to 5% and re-charged to 94%. I was able to consume 15.03kWh of power from the charging station (I assume about 90% of that actually makes it into the battery).

Tcalp

Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:50 am

Also , August was like 12 days ago :)

Tcalp

Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:53 am

The problem that I am having is that Kia Canada "customer service", at the supervisor level, has told me that there is nothing that they can do. I've equally had two different service centers/dealers tell me that there is nothing more that they can do.

JejuSoul

Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:19 am

Tcalp wrote:I got SoulEV Spy today, it says my battery is at 78% SOH, here is a battery cell map.

To me that cell map is an obvious sign that you have a bad battery.
It looks like numerous cells have gone bad, possibly 4 entire modules.
This is very unusual, we have not seen this before.

That SoulEVSpy gives a normal result, is because the BMS itself does not know how to asses the true capacity of this battery.
Kia will use the same erroneous BMS value.

I suggest you focus on the fact that the battery is faulty. The warranty also replaces faulty batteries.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

notfred

Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:15 am

To me that whole battery pack looks quite out of balance.

Are you always charging on L3? Do you ever take it down below 20% and then let it charge to 100% on L2 until it shuts off? The last bit of charging does a cell balancing and I wonder if you are always charging on L3 if it doesn't get to do that, and that means that it also isn't properly working out what the SOH of the cells are.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”