MassDeduction
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:24 pm

Any consumer implementations of vehicle-to-grid with the Kia Soul EV?

Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:48 am

I read about a vehicle-to-grid pilot project that used Kia Soul EVs. Was there ever a consumer implementation of that in North America? I'd accept a homemade option. Why buy a Powerwall when you can use your car for that purpose instead? :)

IanL
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:57 pm
Location: Jersey, English Channel Islands

Re: Any consumer implementations of vehicle-to-grid with the Kia Soul EV?

Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:54 pm

One would have to be satisfied that the benefit outweighed the cost of the wear on the battery.

Tcalp
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:03 am

Re: Any consumer implementations of vehicle-to-grid with the Kia Soul EV?

Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:26 pm

Who would want to kill off an already crap battery design by storing / using energy for your house constantly ?

There are far cheaper battery options for power walls out there.

MassDeduction
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:24 pm

Re: Any consumer implementations of vehicle-to-grid with the Kia Soul EV?

Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:05 pm

Tcalp wrote:Who would want to kill off an already crap battery design by storing / using energy for your house constantly ?

There are far cheaper battery options for power walls out there.


I wouldn't want it constantly, I'd want it in "storm watch" applications in case the power goes out. Yes, if I had solar, or money was no object, I'd go for something like a Powerwall. But if the power goes out, what a shame it would be to just live with that rather than use that big battery you have sitting in the driveway.

Tcalp
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:03 am

Re: Any consumer implementations of vehicle-to-grid with the Kia Soul EV?

Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:19 pm

Get a propane generator, likely cheaper than any such 'power converter' type system.

notfred
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 2:28 pm

Re: Any consumer implementations of vehicle-to-grid with the Kia Soul EV?

Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:38 am

I looked around a few years ago and was unimpressed with what I could find, many thousands of dollars for not much power.

What you could do instead is just get a normal 12V high power inverter to clip on to the 12V battery terminals and turn the car on so that the DCDC converter is providing the power from the high voltage battery to the 12V system. It's not nearly as efficient but it's literally about 1/10 the cost.

MassDeduction
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:24 pm

Re: Any consumer implementations of vehicle-to-grid with the Kia Soul EV?

Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:40 am

Tcalp wrote:Get a propane generator, likely cheaper than any such 'power converter' type system.


Cheaper perhaps, but not nearly as good for the environment, so therefore of little interest to me.

IanL
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:57 pm
Location: Jersey, English Channel Islands

Re: Any consumer implementations of vehicle-to-grid with the Kia Soul EV?

Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:40 pm

notfred wrote:I looked around a few years ago and was unimpressed with what I could find, many thousands of dollars for not much power.

What you could do instead is just get a normal 12V high power inverter to clip on to the 12V battery terminals and turn the car on so that the DCDC converter is providing the power from the high voltage battery to the 12V system. It's not nearly as efficient but it's literally about 1/10 the cost.


What are the comparative powers of the high power inverter and the DCDC converter? My fear would be the DCDC converter could be overloaded.

EVDee
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 6:53 pm

Re: Any consumer implementations of vehicle-to-grid with the Kia Soul EV?

Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:08 am

IIRC - You're limited to around 1kW from the 12v battery. Surge might be a bit higher, but beyond that it's too demanding. A possible good source of information would be from the Prius forums as this is something I've looked at doing myself with my Prius at the time.

Now for the OP question: in North America? Not yet.. I do recall there being a product demonstrated at CES which used the CHAdeMO connector for vehicle to house/grid, but I just can't find it at the moment.
However in Europe there's at least one energy company that includes such device in their service. What's wild is how their grid operates and how during certain periods of time you can actually get paid to take electricity! :o

Only question I have is: will a factory Soul EV do bidirectional, or does that require a special line of software or hardware?

JejuSoul
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:47 am
Location: Jeju
Contact: Website

Re: Any consumer implementations of vehicle-to-grid with the Kia Soul EV?

Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:26 am

MassDeduction wrote:I read about a vehicle-to-grid pilot project that used Kia Soul EVs. Was there ever a consumer implementation of that in North America? I'd accept a homemade option. Why buy a Powerwall when you can use your car for that purpose instead? :)

The outcome of that study testing vehicle-to-grid on 6 Kia Soul EVs found that
Vehicle-to-grid-based energy storage has less overall flexibility compared to stationary energy storage.

My conclusion is better to buy a Powerwall as battery backup than try to use your car.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”