JejuSoul

Re: Charging Fault error.

Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:39 pm

GizmoEV wrote:Well...add me to the list of those who have had an OBC fail.
Mine is still good, for now, but it looks like most of us are going to get this problem eventually.

GizmoEV when you get your new OBC can you tell us -
1/ what is the version (look at the sticker on the back of it)
2/ is your charging now 15% slower
3/ what version of the Torque Pro codes do you now use for the OBC?

And please don't drop the camera inside the engine, while taking a picture.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

SoulEV2016

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:26 am

JejuSoul wrote:Mine is still good, for now, but it looks like most of us are going to get this problem eventually.

to bad that all member don't have an OBD2 reader to retrieve the number of hours.
we can predict the "before fail" charger life.

like in the industrials devices maintenances (fenwick, motor bearing, hydraulic arm).
Kia Soul EV 2016 Ultimate 27 kWh - Mountain hard driving (fast). Drain 1/3 of Battery after 32km. - Unlimited highway speed (153km/h at regulator).

GizmoEV

Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:37 pm

JejuSoul wrote:GizmoEV when you get your new OBC can you tell us -
1/ what is the version (look at the sticker on the back of it)
2/ is your charging now 15% slower
3/ what version of the Torque Pro codes do you now use for the OBC?

And please don't drop the camera inside the engine, while taking a picture.

1) I emailed the tech and referenced your post above asking him to get pics of both chargers and any info he could share from Kia about the issue. He told me he would do that when the replacement OBC came in and he did the swap.

2) My charging with an EVSE at less than max capability of the OBC has always been slower. I thought all 2016 MY Soul EVs charged slower than the 2015s. My EVSE is a 20A version and I watched the current on the line when charging started. It peaked at 21A and then immediately dropped to 18.4A. I'll definitely be testing out the replacement unit's performance.

3) I'm using the 2016 ones that I think SoulEV2016 posted. The only changes I made was swapping max and min battery temp codes because they were always reversed and maybe a couple of others, but that might have been for the Windows 10 App (I don't think it counts bits the same as Torque Pro does).

I didn't capture the number of hours data when the OBC quit but the morning prior I have these numbers:

CCC=22526.6Ah, CDC=22590.1Ah, CEC=8320.1kWh, CED=8084.2kWh, OpTime=2213.3h
David D. Nelson

Blue 2016 Soul EV+ & Cloud 2018 Soul EV+ :D :o

JejuSoul

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:15 pm

GizmoEV wrote: I thought all 2016 MY Soul EVs charged slower than the 2015s.
Hmm, I used to think the newer version of the OBC with reduced charging started appearing in late 2015. But your car, "White 2016 Soul EV+ that I picked up on 7/17/2015", already had the new, slower OBC. Obviously that version still breaks, as we have seen many times in the thread above.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

2016Electric

Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:32 am

JejuSoul wrote:
GizmoEV wrote: I thought all 2016 MY Soul EVs charged slower than the 2015s.
Hmm, I used to think the newer version of the OBC with reduced charging started appearing in late 2015. But your car, "White 2016 Soul EV+ that I picked up on 7/17/2015", already had the new, slower OBC. Obviously that version still breaks, as we have seen many times in the thread above.

I don't like that even for all the tech knowledge we have on this vehicle, no one here has any info regarding exactly WHAT is failing on the OBC unit. Not a single code, pic, or hint what it may be...

Is it control circuitry (interface with EVSE / interface with Can bus) , rectifier components, voltage/current control components, a blown fuse, a burnt wire or trace... What? You'd think Kia and their contract manufacturer would get on that, and solve the issue on replacement units. Pretty abysmal quality control on such a critical part, and no notice to owners warning them about high probability of failure. I contacted my dealer about this, asking if there is a recall. I was told "no".

Does not give one a warm fuzzy feeling about how Kia runs its EV portion of the business. Surely they must know what's wrong... So why aren't they addressing it?

SoulEV2016

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:01 am

2016Electric wrote:Pretty abysmal quality control on such a critical part, and no notice to owners warning them about high probability of failure.

after 2000h of service, it's not a quality failure ... ;)

but i agree to compare an eBike/eScooter (120 USD) charger with 13 000h of service and the poor 2000h of service of the 3000 USD KIA charger.
Last edited by SoulEV2016 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kia Soul EV 2016 Ultimate 27 kWh - Mountain hard driving (fast). Drain 1/3 of Battery after 32km. - Unlimited highway speed (153km/h at regulator).

JejuSoul

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:03 am

2016Electric wrote: Surely they must know what's wrong... ?

I think that is the wrong question. Better is "Why haven't they managed to fix it?" They have spent a year replacing broken OBCs with a new version that had different hardware and software, but that version also fails. If they know what is wrong, and I agree with you, they probably do, then why did they not fix it properly.

And I agree it's not a quality failure.

2016Electric

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:42 am

With all due respect, I have to disagree that it isn't a quality failure on three fronts:

1 - The fact that units are failing with low hours; these units have to be designed to last hundreds of thousands of KM before failure. At a charging rate of say 22% per hour or so, and added range of approx 33 km per hr, just to last the warranty period of 160,000km the unit has to withstand 4,848 hours of use in full power L2 mode. Units are failing much sooner than that.

2 - The failures are happening at somewhat random intervals. Some people experience failures with very low KM (hours), while others go 40,000 km plus (higher hours). Inconsistent MTBF can signal a quality consistency issue.

3 - Kia is replacing a known weak component with another known weak component. What is that, if not poor quality of service, build, and poor quality customer experience?

I don't mean to sound harsh as I really like this car, but these are not good signs and make me question if I made a good purchase for the longer run, and if I'd recommend the car to others. Reliability is critical, especially for the sacrifices we make to operate a short range EV (high cost vs ICE and use limitations due to low battery capacity) .

JejuSoul

Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:38 am

Here's the worst story yet. from - https://www.facebook.com/groups/SoulEV/ ... 837722094/

Scott Lockhart wrote:We lost our on board charger 3 times. First one at 75000km, 3 weeks later a second one, one day later a third one. Third time it smoked our Bosch charger unit. I guess I should note that even the updated charger (with new part number) also failed. So it may be more complicated then just a solder in the original unit. They kept my car for 3 weeks trying to diagnose the cause.
Kias been great though, they gave us a rental, and they're replacing my home charger that was ruined!

There's no such thing as an updated charger with new part number. Not sure if he meant to say version number, and if he did which of the new versions he is talking about. Am also highly sceptical that this problem has anything to do with bad solder.
But this is the first case of triple failure! And the first case to actually damage some electrical equipment it is connected to. My suspicion is that Kia's technicians botched the wiring while replacing the third OBC.

SoulEV2016

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:14 am

how can you smock a Bosch EVSE charger station ?

that's is the question :

- no breaker on 230v-110v ? (thermal and short circuit protection)
- no fuses on 12v command line ? (EVSE command signal)
- line contactor melting ? (where is the breaker in this case ?!?)

Return to “Batteries and Charging”