slavab4

Re: Charging Fault error.

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:17 am

Hi, could anyone share experience how to open kia soul obc and what temperature to heat? thank you

JejuSoul

Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:23 am

-
This thread is mostly about the charging errors caused by a broken OBC. This prevents slow charging.
Fast charging using the Chademo plug is unaffected by a broken OBC.

Two error screens that may be seen when you have a broken OBC are
(These error screens can also be self-caused without doing any harm. Start charging, turn the car on, pull the charging cable out.)

and

------------------

If your navigation system hasn't been updated since 2016 you also see the External Ch arger Error occasionally while fast charging.
After 2017 it was updated to this for fast charging.

---

I very rarely fast charge nowadays. Today was the first time I have ever fast charged my white Soul EV. It is due for a battery replacement on Monday. It repeatedly stopped charging after a few minutes, each time showing the error above. This may be a random glitch. It may be a faulty charging station. But I am also assuming a very degraded battery may have problems fast charging. Has anyone else noticed this?

-
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Kish

Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:43 pm

My 2015 Soul EV just stopped charging today. I'm getting a "External Charger Error" and the dreaded 3-LED blue blink on the dash. I tried multiple Lv2 charging stations, but looks like the OBC is toast. This car already had the OBC replaced before (by the previous owner) and was charging at 28A, so this will be the 3rd OBC on this car once it is replaced.
2015 Soul EV+ | 52k miles
2017 Bolt EV Premier | 62k miles

JejuSoul

Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:56 pm

-
The majority of older soul EVs had their OBCs changed. Most have been problem free since then.
I hope this isn't the start of a second wave of failures.

Here's an official video showing the meaning of the charging lights above the dash.
The 3 blinking lights is the most common error message on this thread for the OBC error, but not everyone gets this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6atkerEFbs
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Kish

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:54 pm

Got my car back after OBC replacement. Took about 2 days, and was covered under EV System Warranty (10yr/100k). After 2 faulty OBCs, I hope they've improved the design by now. :roll:

Looks like the new OBC is able to boost the input current to over 28A (28.6A in this case) in order to compensate for the voltage drop at the input (233V, vs 240V nominally). But either way, it looks like it's hard capped at around 6.6kW. So at full 240V, it would pull 27.5A.

UPDATE:
Looks like I was wrong. It's able to charge a little bit faster than 6.6kW:

2015 Soul EV+ | 52k miles
2017 Bolt EV Premier | 62k miles

ohit1

Fri May 22, 2020 1:21 am

Just thought I'd share the link to the Service Action notice from Kia for this OBC replacement:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/ ... 8-9999.pdf

(how can I attach PDF files directly to a post?)

I am in the UK and currently chasing my Kia dealer to agree and complete this work under warranty given the notice is direct and official from Kia.
No faults yet noticed with the car, but my understand of the Service Notice is replace the part anyway - i.e. "replace the OBC, even if the related DTCs are not present."

Return to “Batteries and Charging”