Not charging on schedule

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbj

Hi there

Our car rarely charges on schedule and wondering if anyone has any ideas. The override button is definitely off - we check and triple check so it's not that. We do however have to charging schedules/reservations set up and are wondering if that might be it. We connect the car when we get home, double check that it isn't charging immediately (ie override is off), get up in the morning and nothing has happened.

What I'd like to do is to remove the reservations and start again but have been unable to find away to do that. So I guess question #2 is does anyone know how to remove charging schedules/reservations from the car?

Thanks

Mike

The charging times screen is accessible from either the EV screen or the Setup screen. There are 2 schedules that you can set, once set you don't seem to be able to delete them but you can turn them off with the little slider next to the schedule. Car should be ON but in Park when doing this.

When you turn the car OFF it pops up a little display in the instrument cluster showing if the charging timer and the HVAC timer are set.

When the charging timer is set and you plug it in then the middle charging light will flash for a few minutes. When the HVAC timer is set then the HVAC timer button (bottom right) will be lit when you plug the car in.

If the schedule is set to only charge to 80% and you are over 80% then it will look like it will charge but not actually charge. This also seems to stop the HVAC timer from working.

You do need to check if the light of Schedule button is "Orange".

My suggestion is either wait for the upgrade of the firmware or use the EVSE schedule instead.

I had same problem so called kia support and they were very good. You have to make sure the button next to "chargeport open" button with logo of a clock and charge cable is not press down. Press it one more time if it's down to deactivate manual charging and allow for timed charging. When you want to charge right away. You have to press that button down.

Hi Mike,

I'm new here and I created an account to gripe about this specific issue. Did you plug in your car after the scheduled time had started? If so that's the issue. You need to be plugged in before the schedule start time, only then will the schedule work. If you plug in afterwards the schedule time you need to override the schedule, but then you can't control th charge threshold (80/100%).

Hope that helps. I found this to be very annoying and not mentioned at all in the operator manual.

We schedule for midnight start everyday of the week. We only had to plug in last night (Saturday) because the battery was at 21%. This Sunday morning it was at 21% still. Why didn't it charge? We plugged the car in at 6pm. This is really problematic but we don't want to avoid scheduled charging get. As.this saves so much money.

Update: we just got home and set a new charging schedule for Sunday (today) 11:40am. It started charging on schedule. The only reason we can think it didn't previously charge when we had the schedule set is that we don't plug it in every day. Something must mess up the scheduled charging if the software expects to charge and isn't plugged in so that if you plug it in on the next night it doesnt charge. I hope this isn't the case because it means the car needs to be plugged in regardless of the battery level just to avoid messing up the weekly charging schedule.

dmichaud said:
We schedule for midnight start everyday of the week. We only had to plug in last night (Saturday) because the battery was at 21%. This Sunday morning it was at 21% still. Why didn't it charge? We plugged the car in at 6pm. This is really problematic but we don't want to avoid scheduled charging get. As.this saves so much money.

Just got our Soul EV. Took some getting used to, but I've concluded that if you plug in after the start of your schedule it won't turn on. Gotta do it manually at that point. If you plug in before the start time, middle light flashes for a minute or 2. You end up needing to set the start time later than you think you'll usually do your last driving.

We have a 2016 Spark EV. Chevy's programming is entirely different. You set the rate schedule for summer and winter, when you want to leave, and then select "rate and departure time" if you want it to charge off peak. It'll then calculate time needed and start charging then. So you just plug in. If it needs to charge by go time, it'll do so at the right time. If you want to manually override, you can do so by either removing the charger plug and plugging in again (U get a beep pattern), or do it from the touch screen - which it will remember so you have to remember to turn automatic back on.

Back