Car won't charge

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmlkiasoulev

I have a 2015 Soul EV with just under 14K miles. Last night, when I did a scheduled charge I was notified that "the car would not accept the request" and therefore didn't charge. I have tried using the 240 fast charger (clipper creek) and it does NOT throw an error. Shows it charging for about a minute or less, then clicks off. No faults on the car side either. I also tried using the trickle charger. Same thing. I do hear a faint clicking from under the hood when it starts charging. Seems about 30-60 seconds or so and it shuts down. I have less than 50 miles left and that could create problems getting it to a dealer...

I've called two dealers (but it's after hours, of course and I probably won't hear back til Monday, but I'm going to keep trying). Any tips??
Thanks!

have you checked the switch that it turn OFF the scheduled charge ?
(left under the steering wheeling like the LEAF).

note :
you can not schedule a charge when you don't have GPS cover.
you can not schedule at the start of the car, you must wait 10-20 second (GPS cover).

Yes the charge timer is the first thing to check. One car in Germany was taken apart because the charge timer was inadvertently set. The car was just waiting to start, there was nothing wrong with it. The owner and mechanics did not pay attention to the flashing middle light in the charging panel.

Second try a fast charger. It is probable that this will work. It will give you enough charge to get to the garage. The most likely fault if there is one is a faulty OBC. They will replace it.

Same thing happen to mine this week 220 won't charge I can hear the car click for a few time but it can't start the charging. The 110 just stop after a min or two no click sound.
I go to DC charger it charge fine. After that I go home and try the 220 again and is working.
Any one see this before?

The Charging Fault Error is the one main fault that has effected about 10% of our cars. It has now been fixed. The replacement of the On Board Charger is expensive, but no driver has ever paid for this. It has always been covered by the warranty. There is also no need to worry that these faulty OBCs will last until after the warranty expires, and then need to be replaced at the owner's expense, because Kia is now replacing non-faulty old OBCs with the new fixed version at the annual service check (this has been mentioned in reports from Korea, Canada, and France).

Update
Only a week later and I am no longer convinced everything is fixed, nor so optimistic about the warranty. see the latest post in the other thread Charging Fault error.

Oh oh ....

Came home around 9pm at 25%. Set for timed charging at 11pm to 80%. Center dash light blinking.

This morning at 08:40: no lights on dash. Battery at 41%.

Fault light on portable EVSE. Unplugged and tried several things. No charging.

When plugging in the portable EVSE to socket *no* Fault light. However, after plugging in at car --> "Fault" light.

(A few days ago: 2km short of 16,000km)

Very busy at the moment. Will try a 3.8kW public station soon and report back ...

UPDATE:

Charged without trouble at two different Level 2 public EVSE :)

(The RFID card system I use limits me to 16A/240V for a cheaper monthly fixed fee.).

It appears (so far) that my portable KIA-supplied EVSE (9-10amps/240V; Model PSE13-00104) has quit on me. When plugged into the standard socket I have used for 1+ year the three lights behave as normal (Fault light off). But as soon as I plug it into the car (timer OFF or ON) the Fault light on the EVSE comes on and does not go off even after unplugging it from the car. Only a power cycle resets the fault light.

Does anyone know ... Is the EVSE covered by the car's 7 year-warranty ?

Back