SmoothJ

Re: Chargepoint stations and less than 6.6 kWh charging

Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:07 pm

jysl wrote:At my old work place Chargepoint I see max 5.91 also (this is before the new OBC)

So I think it just that CP charger. The one that was use is duel 6.6 shared so if two car is charging I am getting 2.87 one car I see 5.91

I wish I can say it was just that charger, but I tried to two in different cities with the same result. As stated before ~0.6 kW isn't going to hurt me, but I was curious of what others were charging at.

I would need to get that BT ODB module and really test it out to see.

GizmoEV

Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:58 pm

I just finished building an OpenEVSE L1/L2 50A wide voltage deluxe kit. This gave me a chance to test out how the car behaves with varying pilot signals. On 240V the EVSE changes the pilot signal in 2A increments. Any setting 28A and the car charged at 27.5A which came out to 6.6kW. When the pilot signal was set to 26A or lower the car charged at about 10% lower than the pilot setting. I really don't understand why Kia did this.
David D. Nelson

Blue 2016 Soul EV+ & Cloud 2018 Soul EV+ :D :o

notfred

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:33 am

Just to clarify what you measured
1) Max draw is 27.5A so at 240V 6.6kW
2) Car draws 10% less than what the EVSE signals up to the max of 27.5A

I think the reason why the did it is that knocking the charge power down by 10% increases the safety margins with little meaningful difference in time to charge. Electric car charging at home is one of the toughest things to do in terms of combined load and length of time. There are things that draw more current but they run for a shorter time, and there are things that run for longer but they draw less current.

There have been news stories about charging fires with Teslas, and Kia didn't want their name associated in the media with burning down houses:
http://energyblog.nationalgeographic.co ... weighs-in/
https://forums.tesla.com/en_CA/forum/forums/melted-plug

acadiandad

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:00 pm

GizmoEV wrote:I just finished building an OpenEVSE L1/L2 50A wide voltage deluxe kit. This gave me a chance to test out how the car behaves with varying pilot signals. On 240V the EVSE changes the pilot signal in 2A increments. Any setting 28A and the car charged at 27.5A which came out to 6.6kW. When the pilot signal was set to 26A or lower the car charged at about 10% lower than the pilot setting. I really don't understand why Kia did this.

I had noticed similar results at L1 with my openEVSE but I hadn't taken the time to double check the pilot signal waveform. Good to know I wasn't imagining things !
Ottawa, ON CANADA
2016 EV Lux+Sunroof - Titanium

SoulEV2016

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:01 am

With Torque Pro, now, you can view the Pilot DUTY provide by the charger point.
Pilot DUTY is the max alloyed current that the charger point provide.

Usefull to see a problem with the plug ... or the electronic of the charger point. ;)

Kia Soul EV 2016 Ultimate 27 kWh - Mountain hard driving (fast). Drain 1/3 of Battery after 32km. - Unlimited highway speed (153km/h at regulator).

Return to “Batteries and Charging”