Charge Time With Level 1 Charger

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EV2016

Please excuse me if this question has been previously answered but I need to know something quickly so I can address an issue if it exists. I just had the on board charger replaced, for the second time. I did not have access to my normal Level 2 charger so for the first time I used the Level 1 that comes with the car. When I got home I plugged the car in and it said the charge time would be 16 hours and 10 minutes and that the battery was at 38% charge. As I've said, I've never used the charger that came with the car before but from what I remember that seems like a longer than normal charge time. The weather this morning was 19° F and I know that that will definitely effect the amount of charge the battery will hold but does it also drastically reduce the rate of charge. When I got up this morning I used the EVO app to check the status and it said it still had 7 hours and some minutes and was at 72%.

Can anyone tell me what the average charge time is for a battery at the 38% or so level or even the charge time to charge a completely exhausted battery using a Level 1 charger? I just need to make sure that the new on board charger is functioning correctly.

Thank you very much for your help.

EV2016 said:
Please excuse me if this question has been previously answered but I need to know something quickly so I can address an issue if it exists. I just had the on board charger replaced, for the second time. I did not have access to my normal Level 2 charger so for the first time I used the Level 1 that comes with the car. When I got home I plugged the car in and it said the charge time would be 16 hours and 10 minutes and that the battery was at 38% charge. As I've said, I've never used the charger that came with the car before but from what I remember that seems like a longer than normal charge time. The weather this morning was 19° F and I know that that will definitely effect the amount of charge the battery will hold but does it also drastically reduce the rate of charge. When I got up this morning I used the EVO app to check the status and it said it still had 7 hours and some minutes and was at 72%.

Can anyone tell me what the average charge time is for a battery at the 38% or so level or even the charge time to charge a completely exhausted battery using a Level 1 charger? I just need to make sure that the new on board charger is functioning correctly.

Thank you very much for your help.

Thats about right for the time. The max output would be 1440 watts, or ~1.4 kWh (based on 120V*12A). Since we have a 27 kWh battery...and the efficiently is several hundred watts less, we are looking at around 1.2 kWh (+/-) per hour, which in turn would put a full charge around a day to charge depending on climate and other conditions.

Wow... I guess I've been spoiled.

Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate everyone who shares their electrical knowledge with others as I have none! :D

EV2016 said:
Wow... I guess I've been spoiled.

Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate everyone who shares their electrical knowledge with others as I have none! :D

I don't even have an L2 installed yet, so all my charging is done with the included L1. Your charge times are the same as mine.

Back