Battery and how much is really being charged

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmoothJ

Can anyone please tell me, or maybe point me to the logs, of a completely (or almost complete) dead battery and its charge? I know we have a 27 kWh battery, but I know that is not fully discharged or full charged to prevent the battery from a early death.

I charged my car recently and measured via my watts up (I am saving up for a OBDLink MX Bluetooth). I went from 67% to 100%, and it was 47F outside. According to the watts up, I used 13.08 kWh's for the charge using 1200-1300 watts when I was using the standard charge cable that came with the car (I am saving for a OpenEVSE, and I know the included charger and OBC have very poor effective efficiency at this low voltage).

EDIT:
I just charged my wifes Ford C-Max Energi and its 7.7 kWh battery, and it charged what it needed - starting was 13.18, and the end amount was 20.7... which is 7.52 kWh.

What started this search was the fact that my electric bill went into the kW range - ran 1400 kWh from Dec 17th to Jan 17th. I never, never had that much before. So I needed to find answers. According to my charge log spreadsheet for the Kia, and based on 1:1 ratio... I am looking at only 91 kWh hours being used. So what happened to all that extra power? Not to mention that I have a 5.3 kWh solar system as well, which granted its the winter and not getting much sun... but still.

Are you wanting to get an idea of how much energy is pulled from the wall plug to charge a Soul EV from empty to full to get an idea of how much is really wasted or what? A good estimate on the L1 EVSE that came with the car is 70-80% efficient. At 70% efficiency it would mean that to charge 27kWh into the battery would take about 27kWh/0.7=38.6kWh from the wall. IIRC, Soon after I picked up my first Soul EV I charged from about 4% to full using the provided L1 EVSE and it took about 28 hours and a little over 33kWh according to my Kil-a-Watt meter.

Is that what you were looking for?

BTW, I recommend you build the wide-voltage L1/L2 50A OpenEVSE. It will give you many options for charging when traveling and you can't find a public charge station.

GizmoEV said:
Are you wanting to get an idea of how much energy is pulled from the wall plug to charge a Soul EV from empty to full to get an idea of how much is really wasted or what? A good estimate on the L1 EVSE that came with the car is 70-80% efficient. At 70% efficiency it would mean that to charge 27kWh into the battery would take about 27kWh/0.7=38.6kWh from the wall. IIRC, Soon after I picked up my first Soul EV I charged from about 4% to full using the provided L1 EVSE and it took about 28 hours and a little over 33kWh according to my Kil-a-Watt meter.

Is that what you were looking for?

BTW, I recommend you build the wide-voltage L1/L2 50A OpenEVSE. It will give you many options for charging when traveling and you can't find a public charge station.

Yes, thank you. I am already in talks with OpenEVSE about getting one. However I am honestly waiting to see how much I get back from my taxes first.... :)

I decided to measure how much energy came out of the wall to fully charge my 2018 Soul EV+. I arrived home with 8% SOC being displayed on the console. As you can see from the Torque Pro data below, this was 7.5% SOC display and 8.5% SOC BMS. FIWI, it appears that the two SOC values are the same at 25% and at full charge 100% displayed is really 95% SOC.

I have a commercial grade energy meter I installed on one of the outlets I plug one of my EVs into. I have a modified Panasonic EVSE from a Nissan Leaf which allows it to operate on 120V or 240V at up to 20A. The Kia Soul EV OBC derates by roughly 10% so it only draws 18.5A from this EVSE. This EVSE is what I used to charge for this test. The car had 528 miles on the odometer when this test was done.

Code:
2018 Cloud Kia Soul EV+ charge from 7.5% SOC (display) to 100%										
5/20/2018    OBC charge rate was about 4.5kW at 18.5A, 241.2VAC input (~3.9kW into battery)
             Maximum battery temperature was 39°C before 25°C after, ambient temp was about 15°C
             Values recorded with Torque Pro and Kia Soul EV 30kWh PIDs
             Wall energy measurements taken with EKM Metering Single-phase 3-wire kWh meter model EKM-25IDS

Batt V  SOC BMS SOC Disp  CCC (Ah)  CEC (kWh) CDC (Ah)  CED (kWh)  OpTime  Max kWh  Wall meter (kWh)
Before      340.0    8.5       7.5     412.6     155.7     489.6     176.8      43.7     2.8     6,992.22
After       412.1   95.0     100.0     489.0     184.3     489.6     176.8      51.2    31.4     7,024.72
Difference  72.1    86.5      92.5      76.4      28.6       0.0       0.0       7.5    28.6        32.50

Efficiency  88.0%

Back