Battery temperature

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slobodanc

Reading some Nissan Leaf discussion they mention a battery temperature displayed in control display. Seems their battery can heat up causing lifespan issues.

Since I started using L3 charger I would like to see my battery temp in Kia. However I didn't see any mention of battery temp in manuals or forums. Is there some way to see battery temp short of using special equipment like OBD reader?

If battery does get hot is there a fan for battery that I could hear, either sitting inside or outside next to the car? So far L3 charger seems to be working at full speed so I assume no heat issues. However as the weather gets warmer I am concerned that at some point it may start getting hot.

thanks

Battery temperature sensors are known and shown in the Torque Pro PIDs.

The Soul EV has a battery fan in the trunk where the spare wheel would be in the gasoline version. The air intake is under the passenger seat. The battery fan speed control is also shown in the Torque Pro PIDs.

The Leaf has no active cooling of the battery so that is why they have a battery temperature gauge. With the fan in the Soul EV to cool the battery we should be OK.

Thanks

So if I stand at the back I might be able to hear it.
Not an issue right now, but if I used L3 during summer would like to know if the fan is activated.

I haven't played with the Torquo Pro yet.

thanks, much appreciated

My car's cooling fan is often audible while charging even at 110v (I'm in Atlanta). Even with the fan I'm concerned at the thermal capacity of the air cooling while quick charging. I've used CHAdeMO when summer temperatures are well into the 90's (mid-30's C) and worried the whole time about the battery pack temp.

If you use A/C with closed window, the battery fan drain the cold air in to the battery.

more examples on this thread : http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=685&start=30#p6767

-
Some interesting posts on the difference between the battery temperature management of the Soul EV and N issan L eaf.

1. A long road trip between Montreal and Quebec, requiring multiple Chademo stops. - Défi Montréal-Québec Aller-retour : Analyse des résultats

2. . A long road trip between Los Angeles and Palm Springs in mid-summer. - Palm Springs Summer TMS Torture Test!

tms_testholby.png

3. A long road trip in Japan in mid-summer. An 1,150 km Round Trip To Kyoto In An e-N V200.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFaZuKj9RYo

tractioninc said:
My car's cooling fan is often audible while charging even at 110v (I'm in Atlanta). Even with the fan I'm concerned at the thermal capacity of the air cooling while quick charging. I've used CHAdeMO when summer temperatures are well into the 90's (mid-30's C) and worried the whole time about the battery pack temp.

Well during the summer I would hear the fan at the front which I assumed is cooling for the power converter units. So that would be different. The battery fan is a different unit and according to NotFred it is in the back.

Thanks Jeju for interesting posts.
Looks like my "hot" summer max 30C temps should be manageable.

BTW in general to avoid battery heat buildup (extend lifespan) what would be a good temp limit for L3 charging? I have only 10 min driver to L3, so assume more or less ambient temp battery.

20C?

slobodanc said:
tractioninc said:

Well during the summer I would hear the fan at the front which I assumed is cooling for the power converter units. So that would be different. The battery fan is a different unit and according to NotFred it is in the back.

You're absolutely correct -- thanks for reminding me and for calling that out. The front fan is for the powerplant coolant radiator and air-conditioning evaporator; the rear fan is under the false-floor in the cargo area.

tractioninc said:
.... the rear fan is under the false-floor in the cargo area.

Oh sweet. I can do a test L3 charge at say 20C, open the trunk and listen for fan at the end of the charge to see if battery is getting hot enough to activate the fan. Awesome :)

I charged mine throughout the winter, and even in my small garage. I have never heard that fan kick up (just picked up my car in December). This is most likely due to the batteries not getting hot enough, so we will see how this spring/summer plays out.

Finally did hear it, but only once.
I think that day was about 20C maybe bit warmer.
I did L3 charge for about 20 min, then drove about 40 km
When I plugged in at home on L2 I heard the fan activate.

So I am guessing up to 20C outside temps L3 charge should not heat up the pack too much.

Thanks

I am bit confused though. If external temp is just 13C in 2nd graph yet the fan starts from the beginning of the session, while on warmer 32C day it started later. 13C day charge starts at 9.5 SOC while I never go that low. I only have about 10km to the charger and start around 20-30 SOC. So I expect my pack to be much colder when I start charging.

Anyway to be safe I am going to limit my Chademo charging to max 10C outside temp.

Reading that Tesla thread about fast charge limiting after a certain number of L3 charges. Interesting.

I drive really fast (look at my signature).

usually, the FAN stay on service before i get to the 43kW charger and when i left it to my home (and charge at 1kW).

so, you have a 35-70km at 152km/h ...
then 43kW charger ...
then return to home at 152km/h (minimal travel = 27km) ...
and plug for a 1kW charge for the night.

I don't have a garage (cats are happy to hunt mice around the car) : http://www.automobile-propre.com/forums/kia-soul-ev/les-isolants-de-tuyaux-sont-apprecies-des-rongeurs-t5846.html

Back