tizjep

Re: 2015 Soul EV: My Battery Replacement Story

Sat May 23, 2020 2:45 pm

tizjep wrote:
tizjep wrote:I bought a 2015 Kia Soul EV from Carvana last month. It was showing about 56 miles when fully charged. It took about a month to get the logistic setup for transporting it to the nearest certified EV Kia service center (Schamburg, IL). I am scheduled for diagnostics next week... I am hoping that all goes well...

5/21/2020
It has been at the dealership since 5/14/2020. They had a tech look at it and have been waiting for diagnostics from KIA since then... They said that the initial diagnostic showed that my battery has low voltage.

5/23/2020
The dealer called today and told me that my high voltage battery was faulty. They have ordered a replacement and expect to have it installed by the end of next week.

Sparky2

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:29 pm

That's great you got yours. I took my 2015 into Garden Grove Kia and they told me that the SOH was 92%. Now keep in mind the GOM says 60Miles at 100% uh... What is wrong with this picture? I submitted a complaint to Kia and they told me there was nothing they could do, they had to go off what the dealership said. So I did a test or two myself. Just a simple little, "run it around the battery charger" until the % just changed from 5 to 4% that should be about 4% charge. I DC fast charged it to 94% using 16.9KWh - so (correct if wrong) (94%-4%)=90% so with the original 27KWh capacity that should yield a SOH of (27KWh x 90%)/16.9KWh = 69.54% which is a far cry from 92% and just into warranty territory. What can I do since they seem to be denying reality?

IanL

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:09 pm

Actually, you have written the formula incorrectly, It should be Measured kWh/(27x90%), which is what you actually did to get the 69.54% SOH.

However, the charger's measurement of kWh includes the power wasted as heat during the charging process. If 1 kWh was waste heat, the SOH would have been 65.43%

Try this: Zeroise the performance meter (the one next to the speedo which states m/kWh), note the mileage, and then drive back down to 4% and see how many miles you have covered for that 90% usage (call that M). Note the m/kWh reading (call that x) and work out how many kWh the car thinks you used. i.e. M/x. Use that to estimate SOH.

Alternatively, go to another KIA dealer, and get them to measure SOH without telling them that you have already had a figure from Garden Grove.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”