What SOH I have ?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omar

Hi,

I am a new Kia Soul EV owner. My car is 2015, I bought it 45 days ago. Its ODO is at 25,500 Miles now. I can't access the UVO services. Also I do not understand how to get the BMS data that some of you guys is using to calculate the SOH of the battery.

My car can drive around 122 miles on a single charge. However the dashboard shows normally 100 - 104 miles range. Consumption rate is on average 4.9 - 5.2 Mile/KWh. However it might reach as low as 3.9, or as high as 6.1. Regen braking is significant I guess, because my city elevation changes along the roads.

Can I guess SOH from such observations ?

-
I'll give a wild guess for your SOH. 95%

I have a 2015 with original battery. It has done 73,000km.
The GOM will show about 165km at 100% SOC. Fuel Economy 8.5 km/kWh.
I have had my car for 5 years and am confident the SOH is about 95% based on many years of BMS data.

To get a better answer than a wild guess I suggest you ask again in a year's time after collecting some more data.
The thing to look for is the rate of decline. That can vary enormously.

If you are getting 122 miles when the EPA is 93 your SOH is well above 100% and into Keebler magic elf levels.

IanL said:
Get the Android app Soul EV Spy, and a Konnwei OBD2 Bluetooth dongle.

Konnwei makes a tonne of models (KW910, KW912, etc.). Are they all suitable, or are some recommended over others?

IanL said:
KW902 is the one you want.

I ordered one off of eBay. Looking forward to messing around with it. :) I'm particularly interested to see how quickly/slowly the cells come out of balance. Since by charging to 80% every time, we're not cell balancing (unless the BMS is designed to do that when set to 80% max charging), I'm curious to see how frequently (if at all) we'd need to charge to 100% to balance the cells. Thank you!

Back