fanbanlo

SK Innovation doubles EV battery production

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:25 am

SEOSAN, South Chungcheong Province ― SK Innovation said Wednesday that it has doubled its annual production of electric vehicle (EV) batteries to meet increasing demand at home and abroad.

At the expanded rate, the nation's biggest energy company can supply batteries that power up to 30,000 EVs. Kia Motor and Beijing Automotive Industry Holding are key customers.

Kia's Soul EV, which is powered by SK batteries, was named the best-selling EV in Korea last year after sales of 414, which accounted for more than one third of the domestic EV market. The Chinese carmaker produces two EV models ― C33 and C70 ― with SK products.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/b ... 83736.html

mtndrew1

Re: SK Innovation doubles EV battery production

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:33 pm

If I remember correctly, Kia's goal for the first model year was to sell 5,000 Soul EVs globally. If the SKI production distribution ratio remains the same I guess we can expect 10,000 Soul EVs for the 2016 model year?

irfca

Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:50 am

mtndrew1 wrote:If I remember correctly, Kia's goal for the first model year was to sell 5,000 Soul EVs globally. If the SKI production distribution ratio remains the same I guess we can expect 10,000 Soul EVs for the 2016 model year?

Yes, that was the goal they stated for the Soul EV. I did some poking around http://ev-sales.blogspot.ca/ adding up the various reports for 2014 and through Jun / Jul 2015 ... the total there was around 3,000 give or take (in 2014 468 in Europe, 359 US, 21 Canada, 311 Korea, and through Jun/15, 1294 in Europe, 470 in US, 48 in Canada, 44 in Australia ... unknown for Korea) ... so add in approx the US sales repeated in Korea (similar sales in 2014), that would put total "2015" model sales in 3,500 range ... maybe a bit higher if some reports were guessed wrong / based on wrong info...? Hopefully the 2016 model production and sales will be much higher!
Kia Soul EV Luxury Onyx/Inferno Red Pearl 2-Tone.
Ordered: 16-Oct-2014 - Delivered: 16-Mar-2015

JejuSoul

Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:39 am

I also estimate 5,000 Soul EVs globally for 2015 and 10,000 Soul EVs for the 2016 model year.

20% of the 2015 model are here on Jeju island. In all likelihood next year it will be higher. The South Korean government has just agreed to subsidise 8000 cars next year. 5000 of which will go to Jeju.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

JejuSoul

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:28 am

The new SK Innovation EV battery production seems to be on stream.
These are the global sales figures for the first 6 months of this year.
Info from http://media.daum.net/economic/industry ... 0173004120
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

JejuSoul

Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:50 am

Global sales of Soul EV for July - 725; August - 796.
Majority of these cars are going to Europe (Norway, Germany)

The story I have heard is that next year's increase in battery production will add a further 400MWh (700MWh -> 1.1GWh).
So it is possible the sales figures will go up to 1300 a month next year. Slow progress!

But Hyundai is set to release a small EV next year. Probably the BlueOn II.
It is likely to also use the SK Innovation battery. The first BlueOn did.
If so there will be less batteries available for the Soul EV.

Edit - Ignore the BlueOn II comment.
Latest rumour is that the Hyundai AE will be a Prius lookalike.
The EV version will debut in Jeju in March 2016.
It will use LG Chem batteries.

JejuSoul

Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:05 am

Kia Soul EV Goes Through The Roof - http://ev-sales.blogspot.kr/2015/11/ger ... -2015.html
"... As tradition in the German EV market, there was a lot to talk about in the top positions, beginning with the Kia Soul EV pulverizing the monthly sales record for a single model, by registering 980(!) units in October..."
This is way higher than expected. Given the battery production estimated global sales should be 800 or so each month.

Note also - Chinese EV sales: http://ev-sales.blogspot.kr/2015/11/her ... -high.html
The BAIC E-Series EV sales for October are 2.344. Given the battery production estimated sales should be 1600 or so each month.

I don't know how SK Innovation is doing this. There has been no news of an upgrade to the battery factory.
Most recent news from Korean press is just that the Seosan factory is working 24/7
http://www.etoday.co.kr/news/section/ne ... no=1235324

JejuSoul

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:40 am

Latest news from SK Innovation see http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/new ... |newslist1

Code: Select all

SK Innovation inked a deal with M ercedes-B enz to supply it with lithium-ion battery cells, according to the company on Wednesday.
The move is a major step forward for the company, which is trying to catch up with current top players LG Chem and Samsung SDI.
“We cannot disclose exact quantities or numbers regarding the contract, but it is a large-scale project covering batteries not only for a single electric car model but for various models by the carmaker,” the company said.
In an effort to strengthen its electric car battery business, SK Innovation doubled the capacity of its existing battery manufacturing facility in Seosan, South Chungcheong, last year and is operating the factory seven days a week, 24 hours a day. With the added orders from the recent contract, the company plans to add more production lines to the facility.
Sales of the Soul EV fell in Germany last month to 37 see http://ev-sales.blogspot.kr/2016/02/ger ... -2016.html
That is quite a drop from the 980 we saw in November. Perhaps that impressively large figure included advance orders which are now being delivered. (Possibly to Norway)
Last edited by JejuSoul on Thu May 17, 2018 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Birkeland

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:20 pm

Just a side note. Many of the EVs sold to Germany ends up in Norway. I live in Norway, and my car comes from Germany as part of a shipment of about 200 cars. The ship arrives at Germany where they are registered so Germany can fulfill an enviromental quota of EVs. The next day, the ship continues to Norway where KIA dealership is getting the cars. The demand of KIA Soul EV in Norway has been so high (waiting time for up to 9 months), so KIA Norway are buying cars from other countries to take care of the demand.

I wonder why Hyundai is not opting for the SK-innovation batteries.
Owner of a 2015 KIA Soul Exclusive, Titanium Silver

JejuSoul

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:26 pm

Birkeland wrote:I wonder why Hyundai is not opting for the SK-innovation batteries.
An easy guess is price. I think LG Chem is substantially cheaper. Whether this is because of economy of scale or that LG Chem is deeply discounting at a loss to build market share I don't know. The new Hyundai I oniq Electric's main competitor here is the the Renault Fluence (Samsung SM3). The battle between them will be won or lost on price. Both use LG Chem.

The starting price for an EV here :- Soul 41.5, I oniq 40.0, Fluence 38.9 (million won)
Jeju discount is 19 million won.
Actual price in USD :- Soul 18.0 I oniq 16.8, Fluence 15.9 (thousand USD)
Last edited by JejuSoul on Thu May 17, 2018 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News and Main Soul EV Forum Discussions”