Using a spambot to generate fake traffic on quieter forums.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JejuSoul

It's not happening on this forum, but on the many related little used myEVforum pages on this same website, it seems a spambot is being used to generate fake traffic. What do people think about using such a tactic to increase the likelihood that this website will attract more active users. This website is free for us to use because it relies on advertising. It needs to keep attracting new users to exist. It competes with Facebook, a company employing far more ruthless and evil tactics. Should I just ignore the spambots?

Here's what I wrote on the I oniq forum.

It's becoming embarrassing to post on this forum given that 90% of the content seems to be posted by a spambot. The same spambot, using about 10 different names posts to all the 'quiet' forums on this website. Most annoying of all is that the spambot replies to its own fake posts with fake comments. At first I thought the spambot must be a Hyundai one, attempting to increase interest in this car. But given that it posts to many different 'quiet' forums, and the spambot avoids the forums which are frequented by actual users, it seems that the spambot must be run by the owner of the website.

Here's an example of the spambot in action. There are hundreds of pages like this all across this website, but fortunately not on our forum. If you look at the time the supposedly different users joined the forum it becomes immediately apparent that they are in fact the same.

spambot4xsq8.png

It usually isn't to generate traffic to a forum.

Most spammers do it to get a higher SEO rating on pages and attract more clicks to their ads.

-
The sister site to this forum myi oniq.com which has been dead for quite a while now (after the failed attempt to create fake traffic and generate some genuine users) has now been taken over by regular spambots.

Back