JejuSoul

MY2020 Soul EV. 64kWh.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:31 am

Opening a thread to talk about the next generation Soul EV.
We don't really know anything about this car yet, other than it has the codename SK EV.

InsideEVs has published some rumours - New Kia Soul EV To Ride On Kona Platform, Go 186 Miles Per Charge

But these seem to based on a mistranslation of a Korean news article - 기아차, 신형 쏘울 '몸집' 키운다…美 전략형 모델 육성

What it says suggests the entire Soul range will be updated onto a bigger frame.
Kia Strengthens New Soul " Bigger " -
Kia Motors will change the concept of its third generation " Soul (SK 3), " which will be released later this year, from a cross-over utility vehicle (CUV) to a sports utility vehicle (SUV).
The comment about the EV's range is -
In addition to models of internal combustion engines, such as gasoline and diesel, the new Soul will also be introduced as electric cars that significantly increase its range. The new Soul EV is expected to share next-generation battery system modules with the Kona, EV and N iro EV, which are about to be released this year, to secure a range of more than 300km.

There is nothing about the new Kia Soul EV riding on the Kona Platform.

There isn't anything else in the Korean press that explains what is coming. We will know more by the middle of the year.

Edit: I removed a sentence because it was wrong. The Kona does come in gasoline and EV versions.
Last edited by JejuSoul on Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

JejuSoul

Re: Next Generation Soul will be Bigger!

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:45 am

-
Here's some spyshots of the new gasoline Soul. - 2019 Kia Soul seen running winter tests

Doesn't look much bigger to me.

Some more photos of the new gasoline Soul. - New 2019 Kia Soul Spied With Sporty Center Exit Exhaust
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

HIKia2016

Wed May 02, 2018 12:02 am

JejuSoul wrote:Opening a thread to talk about the next generation Soul EV.
We don't really know anything about this car yet, other than it has the codename SK EV.

InsideEVs has published some rumours - New Kia Soul EV To Ride On Kona Platform, Go 186 Miles Per Charge

But these seem to based on a mistranslation of a Korean news article - 기아차, 신형 쏘울 '몸집' 키운다…美 전략형 모델 육성

What it says suggests the entire Soul range will be updated onto a bigger frame.
Kia Strengthens New Soul " Bigger " -
Kia Motors will change the concept of its third generation " Soul (SK 3), " which will be released later this year, from a cross-over utility vehicle (CUV) to a sports utility vehicle (SUV).
The comment about the EV's range is -
In addition to models of internal combustion engines, such as gasoline and diesel, the new Soul will also be introduced as electric cars that significantly increase its range. The new Soul EV is expected to share next-generation battery system modules with the Kona, EV and Niro EV, which are about to be released this year, to secure a range of more than 300km.

There is nothing about the new Kia Soul EV riding on the Kona Platform.

There isn't anything else in the Korean press that explains what is coming. We will know more by the middle of the year.

Edit: I removed a sentence because it was wrong. The Kona does come in gasoline and EV versions.

I was told today by my dealer that they had 20 2018 EVs in stock, and after they were sold, there would be no more deliveries for 2018...and not to expect a 2019 Soul EV. I hope he is wrong.....

JejuSoul

Wed May 02, 2018 1:02 am

-
It was the first day of the Jeju EV Expo today. Kia debuted the new N iro EV.
The Soul EV on display was exactly the same as last year. I looked at the VIN and it is brand new.
Hence for now we must assume that the 2019 Soul EV will be identical to the 2018.
I suspect the new version will be MY2020.
Last edited by JejuSoul on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

HIKia2016

Wed May 02, 2018 1:07 am

JejuSoul wrote:-
It was the first day of the Jeju EV Expo today. Kia debuted the new Niro EV.
The Soul EV on display was exactly the same as last year. I looked at the VIN and it is brand new.
Hence for now we must assume that the 2019 Soul EV will be identical to the 2018.
I suspect the new version will be MY2020.

Thank you for the update.....good news/bad news. Good that they are continuing with the Soul EV, bad that there will not be a battery upgrade for 2019

JejuSoul

Next Generation Soul EV will be Bigger! And for Europe only.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:41 am

-
News of the next generation Soul EV has arrived. - Link to Korean News Article

First the obvious. It will not be based on the Kona platform. Instead it will be based on the N iro EV.
There will be 64kWh and 39.2kWh versions. It says the battery will be just like the N iro EV.
Hence we have to assume that the new Soul EV will also use SK Innovation's new NCM811 cells

And the surprise. The new Soul EV will be released only in Europe. Not even to South Korea. wow!

Also in Europe sales of the gasoline Soul will be phased out. - Kia to offer Soul in Europe as electric car only

--------------------------------------

Delivery of MY2018 Soul EVs to the USA seems to have stopped. - https://www.facebook.com/groups/SoulEV/permalink/1760851550662117/
No news on whether they will get the MY2019.

28 June 2018 wrote:...Should you be looking to get a new Kia Soul EV in United States, don't wait long as inventory is quickly dropping.

Both Oregon and Washington have sold out. Closest new 2018 inventory is Southern California; were 9 new Soul EVs remain available. In all of US, only 76 news Soul EVs remain … mostly in northeast...
Last edited by JejuSoul on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

HIKia2016

Re: Next Generation Soul EV will be Bigger! And for Europe only.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:16 am

Thanks for keeping us updated! Much appreciated. My lease is up middle of next year...so hoping that there is a new SOUL to trade to...or at least another EV option.

BEC

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:25 am

I hope that "Europe only" business is a misinterpretation or something. I would like nothing better than to get a 2020 MY Kia Soul EV with a significant range boost in September of 2019 when the lease is up on our current 2016 one. Adding some more range is about the only thing I'd really want to change. Otherwise it's perfect for us as it is.
Bernard Cawley
Auburn WA

2016 Caribbean Blue/Clear White EV

JejuSoul

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:48 am

-
A twitter post by Jonny Smith, a presenter from Fully Charged, shows a new Soul EV in camo testing in Death Valley, USA.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Carpervert/status/1019984637689548800

-

JejuSoul

Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:59 am

-
I went to the main Kia dealer on the island today to have a look at the N iro EV. The dealer told me the Soul EV has been discontinued, and they no longer sell it.! He said there will be no new Soul EV. I am assuming that means no new Soul EV in South Korea.

In this Youtube video Steve Kosowski of Kia Motors America states the new Soul EV will be out later this year. He was the main spokesperson for Kia Motors America 4 years ago when the Soul EV launched, so I think he knows what he is saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yyRx7-LU7U

Return to “News and Main Soul EV Forum Discussions”