MY2020 Soul EV. 64kWh.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JejuSoul

Opening a thread to talk about the next generation Soul EV.
We don't really know anything about this car yet, other than it has the codename SK EV.

InsideEVs has published some rumours - New Kia Soul EV To Ride On Kona Platform, Go 186 Miles Per Charge

But these seem to based on a mistranslation of a Korean news article - 기아차, 신형 쏘울 '몸집' 키운다…美 전략형 모델 육성

What it says suggests the entire Soul range will be updated onto a bigger frame.
Kia Strengthens New Soul " Bigger " -
Kia Motors will change the concept of its third generation " Soul (SK 3), " which will be released later this year, from a cross-over utility vehicle (CUV) to a sports utility vehicle (SUV).
The comment about the EV's range is -
In addition to models of internal combustion engines, such as gasoline and diesel, the new Soul will also be introduced as electric cars that significantly increase its range. The new Soul EV is expected to share next-generation battery system modules with the Kona, EV and N iro EV, which are about to be released this year, to secure a range of more than 300km.
There is nothing about the new Kia Soul EV riding on the Kona Platform.

There isn't anything else in the Korean press that explains what is coming. We will know more by the middle of the year.

Edit: I removed a sentence because it was wrong. The Kona does come in gasoline and EV versions.

JejuSoul said:
Opening a thread to talk about the next generation Soul EV.
We don't really know anything about this car yet, other than it has the codename SK EV.

InsideEVs has published some rumours - New Kia Soul EV To Ride On Kona Platform, Go 186 Miles Per Charge

But these seem to based on a mistranslation of a Korean news article - 기아차, 신형 쏘울 '몸집' 키운다…美 전략형 모델 육성

What it says suggests the entire Soul range will be updated onto a bigger frame.
Kia Strengthens New Soul " Bigger " -
Kia Motors will change the concept of its third generation " Soul (SK 3), " which will be released later this year, from a cross-over utility vehicle (CUV) to a sports utility vehicle (SUV).
The comment about the EV's range is -
In addition to models of internal combustion engines, such as gasoline and diesel, the new Soul will also be introduced as electric cars that significantly increase its range. The new Soul EV is expected to share next-generation battery system modules with the Kona, EV and Niro EV, which are about to be released this year, to secure a range of more than 300km.
There is nothing about the new Kia Soul EV riding on the Kona Platform.

There isn't anything else in the Korean press that explains what is coming. We will know more by the middle of the year.

Edit: I removed a sentence because it was wrong. The Kona does come in gasoline and EV versions.

I was told today by my dealer that they had 20 2018 EVs in stock, and after they were sold, there would be no more deliveries for 2018...and not to expect a 2019 Soul EV. I hope he is wrong.....

-
It was the first day of the Jeju EV Expo today. Kia debuted the new N iro EV.
The Soul EV on display was exactly the same as last year. I looked at the VIN and it is brand new.
Hence for now we must assume that the 2019 Soul EV will be identical to the 2018.
I suspect the new version will be MY2020.

JejuSoul said:
-
It was the first day of the Jeju EV Expo today. Kia debuted the new Niro EV.
The Soul EV on display was exactly the same as last year. I looked at the VIN and it is brand new.
Hence for now we must assume that the 2019 Soul EV will be identical to the 2018.
I suspect the new version will be MY2020.
Thank you for the update.....good news/bad news. Good that they are continuing with the Soul EV, bad that there will not be a battery upgrade for 2019

-
News of the next generation Soul EV has arrived. - Link to Korean News Article

First the obvious. It will not be based on the Kona platform. Instead it will be based on the N iro EV.
There will be 64kWh and 39.2kWh versions. It says the battery will be just like the N iro EV.
Hence we have to assume that the new Soul EV will also use SK Innovation's new NCM811 cells

And the surprise. The new Soul EV will be released only in Europe. Not even to South Korea. wow!

Also in Europe sales of the gasoline Soul will be phased out. - Kia to offer Soul in Europe as electric car only

--------------------------------------

Delivery of MY2018 Soul EVs to the USA seems to have stopped. - https://www.facebook.com/groups/SoulEV/permalink/1760851550662117/
No news on whether they will get the MY2019.

28 June 2018 said:
...Should you be looking to get a new Kia Soul EV in United States, don't wait long as inventory is quickly dropping.

Both Oregon and Washington have sold out. Closest new 2018 inventory is Southern California; were 9 new Soul EVs remain available. In all of US, only 76 news Soul EVs remain … mostly in northeast...

Thanks for keeping us updated! Much appreciated. My lease is up middle of next year...so hoping that there is a new SOUL to trade to...or at least another EV option.

I hope that "Europe only" business is a misinterpretation or something. I would like nothing better than to get a 2020 MY Kia Soul EV with a significant range boost in September of 2019 when the lease is up on our current 2016 one. Adding some more range is about the only thing I'd really want to change. Otherwise it's perfect for us as it is.

-
I went to the main Kia dealer on the island today to have a look at the N iro EV. The dealer told me the Soul EV has been discontinued, and they no longer sell it.! He said there will be no new Soul EV. I am assuming that means no new Soul EV in South Korea.

In this Youtube video Steve Kosowski of Kia Motors America states the new Soul EV will be out later this year. He was the main spokesperson for Kia Motors America 4 years ago when the Soul EV launched, so I think he knows what he is saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yyRx7-LU7U

-
The new Soul EV was seen in camo charging at a local DCFC here in Jeju a couple of days ago. So it seems it will be released in Korea. The local dealer now says a 39.2kWh version with a range of 250km will be released here next year. ( No mention of the 64kWh version that everyone else is expecting.)

More rumours and latest spyshots here - 2020 Kia Soul EV Spied at The Nurburgring With Full-LED Headlights

-

2020 Kia Soul EV Prototype Reveals Dashboard, Much Improved Range:
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/09/2020-kia-soul-ev-prototype-reveals-dashboard-much-improved-range/

The central display shows this prototype can drive for 437 km (271 miles) on a 92% battery charge.

Design-wise, the layout is definitely more modern, with a new steering wheel, a new, larger infotainment display, larger air vents, a redesigned climate control stack and a new center console featuring a rotary-style shifter instead of a more traditional one.

44e24da2-2020-kia-soul-ev-spy-less-cladding-15-768x400.jpg

I leased a 2016 soul EV because of the cargo space. I love it!! While I am looking forward to more range, it must have room for my family and camping equipment. I would be very disappointed if the Soul EV 2020 didn't have a 240 mile range.

Dave Z

I sure hope that 2020 version with the 64 kWh battery is available by next September 15th when my current 2016 Soul EV's lease is due. After some cursory looks at the alternatives, we would really like to keep the overall utility and fun of the Soul. I will have a look at the Hyundai Kona however as a hedge. The Bolt is too small and while the Model 3 is lovely, it's not quite as flexible with respect to bulky stuff as the Soul (or my current ICE car - Mazda3 5-door).

That the Kona EV is supposed to be available early next year (per Hyundai web site) is encouraging....

-
Ordering for the new Soul EV starts on Monday. We have been told delivery in the Spring.
Everything is pretty much the same as for the N iro EV. 64kWh battery, 150 kW power output.
Two trims prestige and noblesse. The 10.25'' screen comes with the latter.

The two exterior colours shown are both two tone.
1. Platinum Gold with Clear White roof. (SE4)
2. Neptune Blue with Cherry Black roof. (SE2)

The other 4 colours.
3. Snow White Pearl (SWP)
4. Gravity Grey (KDG)
5. Platinum Gold (G3Y)
6 Mars Orange (M3R)

You can find more details on the 64 kWh battery pack used in the new Soul EV in this article that I wrote recently. Although this article is focused on the recently available Hyundai Kona Electric, the same design is used in the new Soul EV pack.

https://electricrevs.com/2018/12/20/exclusive-details-on-hyundais-new-battery-thermal-management-design/

Hyundai’s new 2019 Kona Electric, with its 64 kWh battery and an EPA-rated 258 miles of range, has gotten many positive initial reviews but until now we haven’t known much about some important aspects of its internal powertrain design.

nibularr said:
will you be ordering the new one?
Yes.
I ordered a Platinum Grey 64kWh Noblesse trim.
According to the dealer they closed the list after 2000 orders.
I am surprised that the supply of this car for Korea is so low.

Fully Charged has a brief look at the new Soul EV at the LA Motor Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhuFNKQpWes

There are some details here - https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/models/soul-ev/2020/specifications#soul-ev

Seen in Germany Neptune Blue with Cherry Black roof. (SE2) - I much prefer the current blue with white roof.

Back