JejuSoul

Re: level 2 charging cables/charging rate

Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:19 am

MassDeduction wrote:...All other things being equal, if you've got the time (such as when leaving it on charge overnight), aren't you best off charging at a slower rate for optimal battery health? For example, if it's a 64Ah battery, aren't you best off charging at a rate of 16A (AKA 0.25C)? Sure, if you're in a hurry, charge at the fastest safe rate. But if you've got the time, why not charge at an optimal rate?

There's a lot of factors involved. The best solution is to install a 32A EVSE which allows you to choose any current such as OpenEVSE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIvmYP57eOo

I have a 32A charger and two 27kWh Soul EVs. To charge one car fully at 32A takes 5 hours. The time of day with cheapest electricity rate is from 11pm to 7am.
This is possible to do because I normally charge from 20% to 80% not fully.
Normally however I alternate days, so I don't have to go out in the middle of the night to swap leads.
If I had the option to charge one car all night at 16A then I would prefer this.
But sometimes there will be a need to charge faster.

My next charger will be an OpenEVSE. I do think optimal battery health is best served by slower charging, and that this is more important than the lower efficiency and inconvenience of slower charging.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”