ksoul2084
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 10:48 am

Re: What to watch out for? (Besides Battery Health)

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:32 am

A 240v charger will probably be necessary at home since it will take too long to fully recharge using 120v overnight with a fresh battery with the full 27kWh capacity.

I think you'll be fine on all but the coldest days. Maybe there is a public charger near your office or halfway home on your commute that you could bail to for a quick boost if range ever becomes an issue on very cold days?

mammlouk
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: What to watch out for? (Besides Battery Health)

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:33 am

ksoul2084 wrote:A 240v charger will probably be necessary at home since it will take too long to fully recharge using 120v overnight with a fresh battery with the full 27kWh capacity.

I was figuring with the length of my commute I could stay in the 30% > 80% charge parameters most of the year. You are probably right for when it's cold though, especially if I want to preheat in the morning.

ksoul2084 wrote:I think you'll be fine on all but the coldest days. Maybe there is a public charger near your office or halfway home on your commute that you could bail to for a quick boost if range ever becomes an issue on very cold days?

That's the thing. I work outside of the city and there are no chargers between home and work for me. There is 1 charger that could sort of be considered as being on my way home. It's 16 miles from my work and 4.5 miles from home. If I'm cutting it that close on my commute then this car might be a bad investment. :lol: I wonder if I can convince the dealership to put in the battery pack and BCM with heater. I mean since they're replacing it anyway... I spoke with the dealership doing the warranty work yesterday and they said they've go absolutely no ETA on the battery coming in, but they're hoping within 3 months. :lol: Online KIA parts sites show the cost to be equivalent between the parts. You would think it would save KIA money to replace with the heated option now that the car has moved to a colder climate versus gambling on whether the non-heated pack would fail again within the next 5 years.

mammlouk
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: What to watch out for? (Besides Battery Health)

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:32 am

Well it's been a little bit, so I suppose I should post an update. I decided to move forward with the purchase. Hopefully I don't regret it later.

I got a call today saying that my EV Battery has been replaced. I'm just waiting for the KIA dealership to complete the inspection I requested as a sanity check before closing the purchase with the other dealer who is selling the vehicle. I did some comparison shopping in the meantime and nobody could come anywhere near the $8,000 price I'm paying. Assuming the inspection doesn't come up with anything unexpected I'll be going to pick up the car this weekend.

keaton55
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:03 am
Location: US

Re: What to watch out for? (Besides Battery Health)

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:21 am

JejuSoul wrote:-
If the winter temperatures where you live are below -26C then I would avoid this car.

Weather is a very important aspect for all the electric cars. Before I used to live in Canada and I made a big mistake by buying a Prius. I could barely use the car and it stayed in the garage most of the time. Then I sold the car and after moved to Oregon decided to buy a Kia Soul. However I'm planning to buy a flat in Germany soon and not sure if I have to sell the car and buy new one there or take it with me.

mammlouk
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: What to watch out for? (Besides Battery Health)

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:10 am

keaton55 wrote:
JejuSoul wrote:-
If the winter temperatures where you live are below -26C then I would avoid this car.

Weather is a very important aspect for all the electric cars. Before I used to live in Canada and I made a big mistake by buying a Prius. I could barely use the car and it stayed in the garage most of the time. Then I sold the car and after moved to Oregon decided to buy a Kia Soul. However I'm planning to buy a flat in Germany soon and not sure if I have to sell the car and buy new one there or take it with me.


Thanks for the feedback! We don't usually get temperatures anywhere near the -26c mentioned by Jeju. I've seen it that low maybe once or twice, but that's usually only because of windchill and if we had one of those exceptional days I could take a different vehicle or possibly telecommute.

ksoul2084
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 10:48 am

Re: What to watch out for? (Besides Battery Health)

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:50 am

mammlouk wrote:Well it's been a little bit, so I suppose I should post an update. I decided to move forward with the purchase. Hopefully I don't regret it later.

I got a call today saying that my EV Battery has been replaced. I'm just waiting for the KIA dealership to complete the inspection I requested as a sanity check before closing the purchase with the other dealer who is selling the vehicle. I did some comparison shopping in the meantime and nobody could come anywhere near the $8,000 price I'm paying. Assuming the inspection doesn't come up with anything unexpected I'll be going to pick up the car this weekend.

This is exciting news. I think you've gotten an excellent deal esp. considering you've still got 3 years of warranty on the entire drive-train, and a new battery. :)

Please post updates in the future after you've used the car for awhile so we can learn how it goes for you.

Remember, speed is the enemy of range with this car on the highway.

mammlouk
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: What to watch out for? (Besides Battery Health)

Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:33 pm

ksoul2084 wrote:This is exciting news. I think you've gotten an excellent deal esp. considering you've still got 3 years of warranty on the entire drive-train, and a new battery. :)

Please post updates in the future after you've used the car for awhile so we can learn how it goes for you.

Remember, speed is the enemy of range with this car on the highway.

Thanks for all the input getting to the decision. I'm pretty excited. I picked up the car on Saturday. I guess I should've had a discussion with the sales guy in advance because I assumed he would put it on the charger for me since they knew I was driving up to get it from over an hour away. I was already planning to stop for a charge, but being my first go at owning an EV it made me a little nervous that they only had it charged to around 50%.

After picking it up we drove about 25 miles from Denver,CO to Castle Rock,CO. I put it on an EvGO level 2 charger for an 1 hour and 40 minutes while I went to eat lunch with my family. Then I drove it the rest of the way home to Colorado Springs, 42 miles mostly highway, but construction has traffic going around 60mph most of the way. I got home with 24 miles of range left no problem.

Ran a couple of errands on Saturday night and Sunday. Kept it on the level 1 charger whenever it was parked until I got it charged up back up to full. Drove it to work and back plus an errand yesterday. Everything is good so far. I'll put it back on the level 1 charger tonight when I get home.

I posted a few pictures here

IanL
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:57 pm
Location: Jersey, English Channel Islands

Re: What to watch out for? (Besides Battery Health)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:34 am

Same colour as mine 8-)

I wasn't aware of heat pumps and battery heating when I bought it (2018 model) in January, but we've had a mild winter. How do you tell if your Soul EV has them fitted?

notfred
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 2:28 pm

Re: What to watch out for? (Besides Battery Health)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:11 am

Heat pump is easy, just look at the air conditioner plumbing under the hood. If you have a heat pump there's an extra valve block on the left side of the car. There are pictures in a thread somewhere here.

Battery heater I think can only be determined by using Soul Spy or Torque and watch it heating the battery at low temperatures.

notfred
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 2:28 pm

Re: What to watch out for? (Besides Battery Health)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:39 am

Found the thread with pictures of the heat pump valve block:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=992

Return to “Buying a Kia Soul EV”