ksoul2084

Re: What to watch out for? (Besides Battery Health)

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:32 am

A 240v charger will probably be necessary at home since it will take too long to fully recharge using 120v overnight with a fresh battery with the full 27kWh capacity.

I think you'll be fine on all but the coldest days. Maybe there is a public charger near your office or halfway home on your commute that you could bail to for a quick boost if range ever becomes an issue on very cold days?

mammlouk

Re: What to watch out for? (Besides Battery Health)

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:33 am

ksoul2084 wrote:A 240v charger will probably be necessary at home since it will take too long to fully recharge using 120v overnight with a fresh battery with the full 27kWh capacity.

I was figuring with the length of my commute I could stay in the 30% > 80% charge parameters most of the year. You are probably right for when it's cold though, especially if I want to preheat in the morning.

ksoul2084 wrote:I think you'll be fine on all but the coldest days. Maybe there is a public charger near your office or halfway home on your commute that you could bail to for a quick boost if range ever becomes an issue on very cold days?

That's the thing. I work outside of the city and there are no chargers between home and work for me. There is 1 charger that could sort of be considered as being on my way home. It's 16 miles from my work and 4.5 miles from home. If I'm cutting it that close on my commute then this car might be a bad investment. :lol: I wonder if I can convince the dealership to put in the battery pack and BCM with heater. I mean since they're replacing it anyway... I spoke with the dealership doing the warranty work yesterday and they said they've go absolutely no ETA on the battery coming in, but they're hoping within 3 months. :lol: Online KIA parts sites show the cost to be equivalent between the parts. You would think it would save KIA money to replace with the heated option now that the car has moved to a colder climate versus gambling on whether the non-heated pack would fail again within the next 5 years.

Return to “Buying a Kia Soul EV”