ksoul2084

Re: Thinking of getting a higher mileage 2016

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:27 am

beanman wrote:Interesting. I thought these were generic fobs and the truck release simply didn't do anything as it wasn't a power lift gate. I'm going to check that out.

An observation: when driving this past weekend on an almost full charge, I noticed the lower portion the the battery charge meter, I think only the red dashes that indicate low charge, where intermittently flashing. No idea what that means.

To be honest I have no idea if it's supposed to have a power lift gate. I just assumed so because it was on the fob. It may not... :)

EDIT> I checked the manual, no mention of it at all so I'm guessing that it doesn't actually have this feature.

I've read elsewhere of some people getting their dash consoles replaced under warranty due to the flashing issue you are mentioning. Sounds like it might be starting to fail?

beanman

Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:58 am

I've read elsewhere of some people getting their dash consoles replaced under warranty due to the flashing issue you are mentioning. Sounds like it might be starting to fail?

Thanks. The software engineer in me tells me that it's not failing but an indication of something. Perhaps a post to the technical thread might enlighten me. I think it only happened during acceleration, specifically when using enough juice to go from "Eco" to "Power" on the energy usage meter. But I'll have to watch to confirm it.

notfred

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:11 pm

It was discussed in a couple of threads, I can only find one right now:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=79&p=249&hilit=flickering#p249

I know someone posted a video of it a couple of years ago, but I can't find that now. Some people have had their instrument cluster replaced to try and fix it but then seen it again on the new one. I've not seen anyone post that it has definitely been fixed. I only see it occasionally on mine so I just ignore it

beanman

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Thanks so much for the search. I too am chalking it up to a software glitch. Like a BMS debug mode.
May not be a glitch, but a feature! Just have to figure out what it means.

JejuSoul

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:51 am

-
The button for the trunk door on the key fob does nothing.

The flashing red bars on the instrument cluster is a glitch. It has no meaning.
I would just leave it as is.
The few people who did bother to get a replacement instrument cluster have a mixed response.
Some say it is fixed, some say it is still the same.
But there is one instance where the Kia service technician broke something else during the repair and made the car worse than before.

There's a video and discussion of the glitch here - Red Range Bars Started to Blink w/ Concomitant Loss of R

https://youtu.be/mD2FSW9Tayc
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

notfred

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:46 am

Thanks JejuSoul! That was the thread I was thinking of but my searching wasn't finding it.

thesalmonmousse

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:46 pm

beanman wrote:Hi FueledUpRooster

If it's the same tires as I saw on a few models in Toronto, those are not crappy winter tires, but upgraded all weather tires (Think snow tires you're allowed to use all year round). I'll leave it to others who know more about which tires are actually best for these EVs .. apparently there's a whole resistance line of tires that help with mileage)

I'm about to buy one of these old taxis as well. Mine has had the battery serviced last may so I'm getting a brand new battery with it! Deposit has been placed with the dealer. Should be happening next week.

I was wondering which tires you guys had opted for instead of these "winter" 4 seasons? Presumable you'd want to replace them to get the extra range this summer right?

I've searched around for more info on the low resistance tires but couldn't find much hard data on how much more efficient they are than regular summer tires. There are alot of people complaining about poor braking and grip performance. I'm not sure I'd want to sacrifice safety just too eek out an extra 4-5 miles per charge...

warren55

Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:34 pm

It looks like performance tires would probably reduce the range by about 10% according to this article on a Chevy Bolt. I assume it wouldn't be quite so bad if they were more typical all season tires.
https://insideevs.com/news/335107/how-u ... olet-bolt/

bijan

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:44 am

I'm probably going to get one of these ex-taxis too. I think mine has had the battery replaced at some point, as it was showing 94km range at 71%, which extrapolates to about 130km at 100% (about 125k km on the odometer). There were several other available with lower range. Some that could have battery replaced under warranty, but I didn't want to deal with that...

edmondt

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:33 am

Just want to report back that last night I finally took off that screen at the back of the passenger; turns out inside is a 32GB Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 LTE with a Videotron SIM and a 32GB MicroSD inside.

It was Google account locked, so I spent the night trying to unlock it... It was fun :D

Return to “Buying a Kia Soul EV”