is it true kia lease doesn't allow 4 normal wear and tear?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evsoulkia

here's the setup. I'm buying in CA. My deal is all negotiated. (fyi, I had a better time getting a root canal.)
I'm now with the finance guy. Ready to sign the paper work. And he says something like:
do you want to buy the power protect program?
What's that?
Well, the kia lease doesn't allow for "normal wear and tear", well, actually Hyundai really doesn't allow it in their lease contracts. All other car company's do. Toyota, BMW, Mercedes...they all allow normal wear and tear when you turn the car in. but not this lease.
he reads me the back of the lease contract.
he reads me the part that basically says you have to turn the car in with 4 equivalent quality tires in good condition, no scratches, dents, dings etc. on the car.
Then he goes on to explain that this type of coverage comes from kia/Hyundai and it cost $599. Can't be negotiated. EVER. He hands me the product pamphlet.
It says power-protect.com. I look it up. it's from a company called Safe-Guard Products International, LLC.
I say this is from a third party not Hyundai. He's assures me it's from Hyundai. I can plainly see it's not. But he wont back down.
He's certainly lying about the company.
Was he also lying about kia having a different kind of lease without normal wear and tear???

Here's the KIA lease-end info. Yes, they allow for normal wear and tear, including scratches and dents under 4" in length, etc.

https://www.kmfusa.com/lease-end-self-assessment#

evsoulkia said:
here's the setup. I'm buying in CA. My deal is all negotiated. (fyi, I had a better time getting a root canal.)
I'm now with the finance guy. Ready to sign the paper work. And he says something like:
do you want to buy the power protect program?
What's that?
Well, the kia lease doesn't allow for "normal wear and tear", well, actually Hyundai really doesn't allow it in their lease contracts. All other car company's do. Toyota, BMW, Mercedes...they all allow normal wear and tear when you turn the car in. but not this lease.
he reads me the back of the lease contract.
he reads me the part that basically says you have to turn the car in with 4 equivalent quality tires in good condition, no scratches, dents, dings etc. on the car.
Then he goes on to explain that this type of coverage comes from kia/Hyundai and it cost $599. Can't be negotiated. EVER. He hands me the product pamphlet.
It says power-protect.com. I look it up. it's from a company called Safe-Guard Products International, LLC.
I say this is from a third party not Hyundai. He's assures me it's from Hyundai. I can plainly see it's not. But he wont back down.
He's certainly lying about the company.
Was he also lying about kia having a different kind of lease without normal wear and tear???

I would go to ANY other dealership other than that one, then explain to to the sale manager it's because his salesperson is a lying sack of _ _ _ _.

Latroon said:
Here's the KIA lease-end info. Yes, they allow for normal wear and tear, including scratches and dents under 4" in length, etc.

https://www.kmfusa.com/lease-end-self-assessment#

That's a terrific - thanks for the link!

Ever said:
I would go to ANY other dealership other than that one, then explain to to the sale manager it's because his salesperson is a lying sack of _ _ _ _.

I'm a little meaner than that. I'd buy the car elsewhere then go to the original dealer immediately thereafter for something trivial like a spare cabin air filter or a quick charge (provided they have one). Make sure the original salesturd sees you with the new car with the other dealer's tags.

I did just this when I went to buy the original Honda Insight in 1999. Hard to imagine now but the car was very hard to get your hands on when it launched and dealer #1 told me they wouldn't pull their sole Insight out of the showroom for a test drive without a full cash deposit, and perhaps I should consider a Civic or an Accord that was easier to get to. No problem. Bought the car ten miles away the same day then came back to dealer #1 because I needed to order floor mats. The salesman was absolutely incensed that I had gone elsewhere. I casually mentioned that had he bothered to pull the car out for a test drive I would have likely bought it there. Felt fantastic.

mtndrew1 said:
Ever said:

I'm a little meaner than that. I'd buy the car elsewhere then go to the original dealer immediately thereafter for something trivial like a spare cabin air filter or a quick charge (provided they have one). Make sure the original salesturd sees you with the new car with the other dealer's tags.

I did this on 2000 with a Dodge Grand Caravan SE, the sales guy insisted there was NO SUCH model that year (which was had none in stock - showed him one on their OWN web site, he claimed it was an error.) Went to the next town, found one with what I wanted, paid cash and came back to the local dealer to get a mat for the rear. Made SURE to look up the sales fool to say - "Guess what - if you had BOTHERED to check your regional inventory..."

So was anyone who leased their Soul EV offered any kind of protection plan for excess damage when you return your leased vehicle. I know when we leased our Focus they offered Wear Care which would cover anything over the normal wear and tear. It was about $5 month for the length of the lease. I didn't get it but my salesman told me his own story about when he returned his last car. His wife had hit a curb pretty good and scuffed the wheel of their Fusion pretty bad. They charged them $450. I guess from things I've read I'm worried about Kia and lease return so I was just wondering if there were options.

I was offered a whole menu of protection plans to choose from. I wasn't going to sign up for any, but I ended up selecting a plan that covers any interior damage because I have small children. I'm a Costco member, so after a promotional discount the plan only cost $10 per month, or $360 over the course of the lease.

I leased two weeks ago from Kia Marin in Novato, CA. 36 month lease.

They said normal wear and tear were ok. He said as long as the tires were usable and dings were smaller than a credit card I shouldn't have a problem. I don't recall them offering any additional coverage.

We leased on Dec 30, in New Jersey - and same story - finance guy pulls out the information about the wear/tear coverage, cost @ $600. So I immediately think "scam". But apparently there are state-by-state differences - and in looking at the lease document, which appears to be specific for New Jersey, there truly are no exclusions for small dings, mismatched tires, etc.

So at this point, we took it, but have 60 days to cancel. Want to talk to my regular State Farm insurance agent (that we've used for years) to see if she has any thoughts.

So of course it's a scam, but it might or might not be wise, depending on where you are.

Back