Tugrik

Any hints about 2017 release date?

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:23 am

Greetings! New to the forum. I'll keep this short: my Leaf lease is up in 2 months and I'm going to lease a Kia Soul EV in its place. I picked the Soul after much test-driving and comparing of all the EV options available here in the SF Bay Area, and knowing my wallet can't afford a Tesla. :) My only real question is if anybody knows about what month of the year the 2017 Soul EV model will come out.

The rumors all say the battery life will be mildly improved (the important part), the interior should be notably improved (less important but cool) and the exterior may get a looks update (not a huge worry). But none of the rumors say just when a 2017 model might be released, so I don't know if it's worth waiting.

I'd just hate to start up a 3 year lease to find out that if I'd waited until July (or whatever month 2017 model year releases) I could have gotten one with a bigger battery pack!

inphoenix

Re: Any hints about 2017 release date?

Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:24 am

Tugrik wrote:Greetings! New to the forum. I'll keep this short: my Leaf lease is up in 2 months and I'm going to lease a Kia Soul EV in its place. I picked the Soul after much test-driving and comparing of all the EV options available here in the SF Bay Area, and knowing my wallet can't afford a Tesla. :) My only real question is if anybody knows about what month of the year the 2017 Soul EV model will come out.

The rumors all say the battery life will be mildly improved (the important part), the interior should be notably improved (less important but cool) and the exterior may get a looks update (not a huge worry). But none of the rumors say just when a 2017 model might be released, so I don't know if it's worth waiting.

I'd just hate to start up a 3 year lease to find out that if I'd waited until July (or whatever month 2017 model year releases) I could have gotten one with a bigger battery pack!

I doubt if we will see anything in July. If anything the new models may be available later this year. Have you looked into extending your lease for a few months? There are threads on MNL forum about extensions.
2014 Leaf S/QC
2015 Tesla Model S
JuiceBox Pro 40 EVSE

JejuSoul

Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:30 am

I wouldn't bother waiting. The rumours seem to be just rumours.
Today was the first day of this year's Jeju EV expo.
Last year I bought my Soul EV just after the show.
The car I got is what was called the Model Year 2016 elsewhere.
If this pattern repeats then here are some pics of the Model Year 2017.
The actual announcements are tomorrow, I'll update this if I hear something different.
Also look for the SK Innovation battery thread if you want to make a guess as to whether the battery might be improved.

The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Tugrik

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:40 pm

Thank you for the reply! I asked the dealer directly too, and their response was "no comment on the battery rumors" and "don't expect a 2017 EV model until October at the earliest, probably later." Considering they're trying to get me to sign a lease I'm not sure how trustworthy that is, of course. :)

I got a decent deal, however, so went ahead and picked it up. Glad to join the Soul EV group!

JejuSoul

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:56 am

Tugrik - welcome to the group. I think you made a good choice.
I test drove 6 different EVs today, and I too think that the Kia Soul EV is the best of the bunch.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

mikec

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:41 am

Not sure when exactly the 2017 Soul will debut, but I'm expecting the second half of 2016.

Kia will probably launch a slightly refreshed model at the L.A. auto show in November if not earlier.

I bet they will upgrade the batteries to offer a similar range as the upcoming Hyundai Ioniq EV. It can go 105 miles on a single charge, while the current Soul can do 93 miles.

So, the updated Soul should reach the same...

P.S. here are some rumors and news about the 2017 Kia Soul: http://www.kia-world.net/2017-kia-soul/

vanillagorilla

Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:25 am

I'm mostly torn about the supposed new interior, that's my least favorite part of the current model. But if you wait for the '17, will lease deals be as good immediately? I swear they're practically giving away the current model.
2016 Caribbean Blue Soul EV
2016 Shadow Black Soul EV+

http://ecofriendlycheapassjew.com

JejuSoul

Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:05 pm

Still no hint of any changes to battery or styling for the 2017 model.
More likely is an upgraded navigation with Android Auto/ Apple Car Play

Here's a photo from the currently happening Busan Auto Show.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The original mention of the 2017 Soul EV upgrade was from January 10th 2016 - http://www.kia-world.net/2017-kia-soul/
But that site has a different mention just 5 days later - January 15th 2016 - http://www.kia-world.net/upcoming-kia-models-2018/

The latter link states

Code: Select all

Soul EV: the Soul EV facelift is also in the works and you can expect it hit the market late next year, labeled as the 2018 Soul EV. It may not feature many cosmetic changes, but it will for sure offer a longer range.

JejuSoul

Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:12 am

The 2017 Soul EV has been released in Korea. Prepare to be underwhelmed.

They have updated the VESS. (The sound the car when makes when travelling slowly to warn pedestrians.)
Some adjustments to the schedule timer for the HVAC.
Chademo to 94% instead of 83%

Koreans get the titanium and all white colour schemes that had already been released elsewhere.
Koreans get a new minus option that comes without the navigation.

I hope no one has actually been waiting for this.

http://www.zdnet.co.kr/news/news_view.a ... pe=det&re=

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps anticipating that people are not going to be impressed by the 2017 announcement Kia is also releasing rumours about the 2018 Soul EV today.
This article suggests a 30% increase in battery capacity. Available next spring in Korea and second half of next year in the overseas market.
Also mentions Automatic Emergency Braking system (AEB) and Smart Cruise Control (SCC).
Improved motor 81.4 --> 88 kilowatt motor ; 285 --> 295 Newton meters of torque
The top speed will be 165 km/h from 145 km/h.

see http://www.etnews.com/20160821000081

SoulEV2016

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:10 am

JejuSoul wrote:Also mentions Automatic Emergency Braking system (AEB) and Smart Cruise Control (SCC).

Improved motor 81.4 --> 88 kilowatt motor ; 285 --> 295 Newton meters of torque

The top speed will be 165 km/h from 145 km/h.

At the wheel, so = 170km/h at the dash.
KIA, i love you ... poooOOOOWWEEERR !
Kia Soul EV 2016 Ultimate 27 kWh - Mountain hard driving (fast). Drain 1/3 of Battery after 32km. - Unlimited highway speed (153km/h at regulator).

Return to “Buying a Kia Soul EV”