Any hints about 2017 release date?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tugrik

Greetings! New to the forum. I'll keep this short: my Leaf lease is up in 2 months and I'm going to lease a Kia Soul EV in its place. I picked the Soul after much test-driving and comparing of all the EV options available here in the SF Bay Area, and knowing my wallet can't afford a Tesla. :) My only real question is if anybody knows about what month of the year the 2017 Soul EV model will come out.

The rumors all say the battery life will be mildly improved (the important part), the interior should be notably improved (less important but cool) and the exterior may get a looks update (not a huge worry). But none of the rumors say just when a 2017 model might be released, so I don't know if it's worth waiting.

I'd just hate to start up a 3 year lease to find out that if I'd waited until July (or whatever month 2017 model year releases) I could have gotten one with a bigger battery pack!

Tugrik said:
Greetings! New to the forum. I'll keep this short: my Leaf lease is up in 2 months and I'm going to lease a Kia Soul EV in its place. I picked the Soul after much test-driving and comparing of all the EV options available here in the SF Bay Area, and knowing my wallet can't afford a Tesla. :) My only real question is if anybody knows about what month of the year the 2017 Soul EV model will come out.

The rumors all say the battery life will be mildly improved (the important part), the interior should be notably improved (less important but cool) and the exterior may get a looks update (not a huge worry). But none of the rumors say just when a 2017 model might be released, so I don't know if it's worth waiting.

I'd just hate to start up a 3 year lease to find out that if I'd waited until July (or whatever month 2017 model year releases) I could have gotten one with a bigger battery pack!

I doubt if we will see anything in July. If anything the new models may be available later this year. Have you looked into extending your lease for a few months? There are threads on MNL forum about extensions.

I wouldn't bother waiting. The rumours seem to be just rumours.
Today was the first day of this year's Jeju EV expo.
Last year I bought my Soul EV just after the show.
The car I got is what was called the Model Year 2016 elsewhere.
If this pattern repeats then here are some pics of the Model Year 2017.
The actual announcements are tomorrow, I'll update this if I hear something different.
Also look for the SK Innovation battery thread if you want to make a guess as to whether the battery might be improved.

244y7t0.jpg

20q17pf.jpg

Thank you for the reply! I asked the dealer directly too, and their response was "no comment on the battery rumors" and "don't expect a 2017 EV model until October at the earliest, probably later." Considering they're trying to get me to sign a lease I'm not sure how trustworthy that is, of course. :)

I got a decent deal, however, so went ahead and picked it up. Glad to join the Soul EV group!

Tugrik - welcome to the group. I think you made a good choice.
I test drove 6 different EVs today, and I too think that the Kia Soul EV is the best of the bunch.

Not sure when exactly the 2017 Soul will debut, but I'm expecting the second half of 2016.

Kia will probably launch a slightly refreshed model at the L.A. auto show in November if not earlier.

I bet they will upgrade the batteries to offer a similar range as the upcoming Hyundai Ioniq EV. It can go 105 miles on a single charge, while the current Soul can do 93 miles.

So, the updated Soul should reach the same...

P.S. here are some rumors and news about the 2017 Kia Soul: http://www.kia-world.net/2017-kia-soul/

I'm mostly torn about the supposed new interior, that's my least favorite part of the current model. But if you wait for the '17, will lease deals be as good immediately? I swear they're practically giving away the current model.

Still no hint of any changes to battery or styling for the 2017 model.
More likely is an upgraded navigation with Android Auto/ Apple Car Play

Here's a photo from the currently happening Busan Auto Show.

290633_105094_1957.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The original mention of the 2017 Soul EV upgrade was from January 10th 2016 - http://www.kia-world.net/2017-kia-soul/
But that site has a different mention just 5 days later - January 15th 2016 - http://www.kia-world.net/upcoming-kia-models-2018/

The latter link states
Code:
Soul EV: the Soul EV facelift is also in the works and you can expect it hit the market late next year, labeled as the 2018 Soul EV. It may not feature many cosmetic changes, but it will for sure offer a longer range.

The 2017 Soul EV has been released in Korea. Prepare to be underwhelmed.

They have updated the VESS. (The sound the car when makes when travelling slowly to warn pedestrians.)
Some adjustments to the schedule timer for the HVAC.
Chademo to 94% instead of 83%

Koreans get the titanium and all white colour schemes that had already been released elsewhere.
Koreans get a new minus option that comes without the navigation.

I hope no one has actually been waiting for this.

http://www.zdnet.co.kr/news/news_view.asp?artice_id=20160822095452&type=det&re=

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps anticipating that people are not going to be impressed by the 2017 announcement Kia is also releasing rumours about the 2018 Soul EV today.
This article suggests a 30% increase in battery capacity. Available next spring in Korea and second half of next year in the overseas market.
Also mentions Automatic Emergency Braking system (AEB) and Smart Cruise Control (SCC).
Improved motor 81.4 --> 88 kilowatt motor ; 285 --> 295 Newton meters of torque
The top speed will be 165 km/h from 145 km/h.

see http://www.etnews.com/20160821000081

JejuSoul said:
Also mentions Automatic Emergency Braking system (AEB) and Smart Cruise Control (SCC).

At the wheel, so = 170km/h at the dash.
KIA, i love you ... poooOOOOWWEEERR !
oE7jwg.gif

Sounds like the Soul EV is getting the Ioniq's motor (88 kW) at some point, which makes sense.

I would love to have the CHAdeMO default to 94% on my car; it's a major pain in the butt restarting the session to get it up over 83% and it's expensive to do so on the most prominent network where I live (NRG EVgo).

Am glad you guys are positive about those updates.

The reality for the MY2017 is for small software tweaks. Perhaps older cars can get those tweaks with a software update.

The rumour for the MY2018 is just that. It is just a story that puts the Ioniq EV components into the Soul EV.
I had seen an earlier rumour that put those same components into the Niro EV. That rumour is here - http://www.ipnomics.co.kr/?p=51892

Yet more rumours about a battery upgrade coming this year - The importance of 2017 Kia Soul EV
Code:
The 2017 Kia Soul EV is going to be unveiled at the Paris Motor Show 2016, less than two months away. Stay tuned.
What will be interesting at the Paris Motor Show is the new Mercedes EV because that will be our first sight of the new SK Innovation battery.

The 2017 Soul EV is available in Korea. The official page is here. http://www.kia.com/kr/vehicles/soul-ev/features.html

The only difference from last year is the new Minus Trim. For $1200 less you get a car without the navigation screen.

Anyone want to put money on whether or not Kia deletes the 80/100% charge option in order to goose the EPA ratings in the US market (like Nissan did for the '14+ US Leafs)?

If I'm not mistaken such a change would magically give the Soul EV a 103 mile range on the window sticker with no hardware modifications.

mtndrew1 said:
Anyone want to put money on whether or not Kia deletes the 80/100% charge option in order to goose the EPA ratings in the US market .
I would take that bet. I think it is almost certain. Hyundai's new Ioniq EV does not have the 80% option. They have realised that their warranties are safe regardless of the charging rates, and couldn't care less whether the battery lasts much longer than that.

The new price scheme here in Korea shows the 2017 Soul EV from 4,140,000 won. Last year's price was 4,150,000 won, so it looks the same. They have gamed the system by creating a new lower trim that is the same price hence covertly raising the price of the standard version.

our base trim is veeery base so i wonder how they would trim it back any further? also this move leads me to beleive that buying a 2016 might be the better bet as the 2017 in the same trim will be more expensive with no gains.

also i wonder if the 80/100 charge option will/can be deleted by a software update on the 2015 2016 models?

full/minimal range is a good choice :

- basic car for professionnal and many "old" drivers (no tech-savvy)
- full luxury car for house/work drivers and little shiny peoples (geek)

for me, it's good if Soul EV basic offer keep the Chademo plug, 7kW charger and detector on the rear bumper (without cam, no problem).

JejuSoul said:
The 2017 Soul EV has been released in Korea. Prepare to be underwhelmed.

They have updated the VESS. (The sound the car when makes when travelling slowly to warn pedestrians.)
Some adjustments to the schedule timer for the HVAC.
Chademo to 94% instead of 83%

Koreans get the titanium and all white colour schemes that had already been released elsewhere.
Koreans get a new minus option that comes without the navigation.

I hope no one has actually been waiting for this.

http://www.zdnet.co.kr/news/news_view.asp?artice_id=20160822095452&type=det&re=

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps anticipating that people are not going to be impressed by the 2017 announcement Kia is also releasing rumours about the 2018 Soul EV today.
This article suggests a 30% increase in battery capacity. Available next spring in Korea and second half of next year in the overseas market.

see http://www.etnews.com/20160821000081

Long time follower first time poster!

Thanks for linking that information. You're right, I am very underwhelmed and somewhat frustrated at waiting for this. However, how legitimate are these rumors? Are they actually from someone who knows? So even with a 30% increase that would put us around 120 miles per charge? The website was making it sound like this was going to be released in early 2017 which doesn't seem to work with what the first article was saying.

It looks like I need to research when these rebates end.

interesting to note in that article. it says the level 1 charger now locks to prevent theft during charging. sadly the rest is pretty much basic changes and options.

Back