test drives and dealer incentives

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timguy

hello. im new to the forum. i dont have a soul ev YET but im expecting the 2017 model to change that detail.

so far ive been on 3 test drives here in hamilton ontario. i have to say the car is very surprising compared to what i expected. my first test drive was about 20 minutes and just in the city to feel it out. my second trip to the dealer i spent about 30 mins doing some dead stop power pulls and generally testing out the performance in day to day situations.
today my wife and i spent about 45 minutes in the little beast. i left the dealer with only 44% battery left and was attempting to do a simulated commute from home to work and back. this city is split by an escarpment so it was important for me to find out what kind of battery loss i would get from the 6km uphill highway section. the trip would be 24km one way and mostly highway driving at 100kph. so essentially 50km round trip and the Range meter was telling me 70km to empty when i left the dealer.

so the downhill of course was as expected some coasting, some regen and some econ throttle. the trip back however i was getting a bit anxious. we reached the base of the hill headed up with 22% battery remaining and the screen giving me constant prompts to find a charging station. at the top of the hill i had lost 5% and was sitting at 17% battery. then i had to trek down the highway and back to the dealer. we arrived back at the dealer with 15% showing and aprox 25km range.

all in all i found it a great test of range anxiety and we made it back with no issue. the prompts are a little annoying and made me very aware of the range but i suppose thats their job. im pretty much sold on the car just waiting for the 2017 to see whats improved.

as for incentives the local dealer here is paying the gov rebates up front so you stand to drop 12,000 of the top of the price. the luxury model i tested was an adjusted price of 40,000 so a purchase price of 28,000 canadian. the dealer is then gong to apply for the rebate to get its money back later.

anyway thats my experience so far. feel free to leave any comments or questions and ill try to answer them as best i can.

FYI you can change the setup to only prompt once about the need to find a charger. That makes it less annoying when you are already heading for a charger.

thats true however i wouldnt plan to charge it everyday. that test drive was a representation of say the second day of commute. or coming home from a trip. also the dealer had it on charge when i picked it up so some of that 40% could have been what they call a surface charge and not a true 40%.

Back