Checklist for buying used Soul EV

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevemat

Been looking around for a checklist if looking to buy a used Soul EV. Pretty familiar with general used car purchasing but was more trying to figure out a way to check the battery. Seems the warranties are 10Y/100K Miles if capacity drops to under 70%. How does one check the health of the battery. This would be a "kids" car for our upcoming drivers is my initial thought so most of their trips will be short and around our house.

See the thread Setting up Torque to show BMS data

You will need an Android phone and a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle - although watch out for the cheap ones that may not work properly. With this you can then check the State Of Health (SOH) of the battery. One thing to be aware of is that if the firmware for the battery is reflashed then everything is reset so it will show 100% so check the charge and discharge counters show a good amount of usage.

There have been some recalls, you will want to make sure these are done although that can all be done after purchase as long as you have a dealer close by. Not all Kia dealers are Kia EV dealers and only the EV dealers will do the recalls and have the equipment to deal with the EV side of things, so make sure your local dealer is an EV dealer.

I am looking at buying a 2015 Soul EV from a dealer with 16K to 25K and wanted to request a battery health report from him. Is there a specific report name I should request? What battery health parameters should I be looking at? I believe I want him to provide the SOH in percent? Are there other indicators i should request? Would a lay person be able to interpret them? Also, not sure what a good or excellent reading would be reasonable to expect on a 3 year old car with this mileage range? Thanks for any guidance you may have.

Back