12v battery depleted on brand new car...

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredgagne79

I had a weird issue with my brand new (just 500km) 2019 Soul EV this morning.

As soon as I put it in reverse, a weird “clank” happens and the car stp moving with the message “please chez ev system” (please note that the main car battery was full)

I check the car 12v battery and it was almost dead...

I charged it for a few hour, took a test drive and a few km from home it died again... I waited a few minutes and was able to go back home and check the 12v battery who was again, depleted... I was hoping that the car would have charge the 12v battery while driving as indicated in the manual but it obviously didn’t.

I currently only charge the car on 120v with the provided charger as I am waiting for my 200v chsrger, but yesterday I did full the car at a public l2 charger (so I haven’t plug it tonight)

What could have cause the battery to deplete so quickly?

Thanks!

It probably wasn't looked after properly as it was shipped and at the dealers and they let the 12V get deep discharged. After that it can be damaged and not hold a proper charge. Get the dealer to replace it.

Fredgagne79 said:
I had a weird issue with my brand new (just 500km) 2019 Soul EV this morning.

As soon as I put it in reverse, a weird “clank” happens and the car stp moving with the message “please chez ev system” (please note that the main car battery was full)

I check the car 12v battery and it was almost dead...

I charged it for a few hour, took a test drive and a few km from home it died again... I waited a few minutes and was able to go back home and check the 12v battery who was again, depleted... I was hoping that the car would have charge the 12v battery while driving as indicated in the manual but it obviously didn’t.

I currently only charge the car on 120v with the provided charger as I am waiting for my 200v chsrger, but yesterday I did full the car at a public l2 charger (so I haven’t plug it tonight)

What could have cause the battery to deplete so quickly?

Thanks!

My understanding is that normally the car charges the 12v battery *only* when it is drive mode (the green car light with the arrows on either side is lit on the dash). So you would need to occasionally drive long enough to give the 12v battery a good charge.

Previous poster is correct though, once these 12v batteries are drained completely they are basically toast and need to be replaced. There is also a small chance that your DC-to-DC converter is failing which would prevent the 12v battery from charging from the car as well.

In any case I'd take it to the dealer they will fix you up.

Back