Check EV system error

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biffidum

We are getting a “check EV system” error after periods of highway driving that exceed 15minutes. The car begins to slow and enters turtle mode... the second time we had to stop as the car would not ascend a hill.

Trouble is, if you turn the car off for 2-3 min the error disappears and the car returns to a normal state of charge eg: 70%

So the battery is not depleted, but the EV system doesn’t know this.

The dealership has seen the car and acknowledged the error but can not in-act a repair as the error is not active! So now we get to mess about with not knowing if we will arrive at our destination or not until the damn error sticks.

Anyone else experience this?

2016 Soul with 74000km
Normally mix of driving.
Had the OBC replaced at 15000
No other issues.

Definitely repeatable. It’s spring here so the temperature is around 15-20C

It’s going to a different dealership that wants to keep it and try to recreate the error... yay, some yahoo racing around in my car for a day...

biffidum said:
Definitely repeatable. It’s spring here so the temperature is around 15-20C

It’s going to a different dealership that wants to keep it and try to recreate the error... yay, some yahoo racing around in my car for a day...

You would think this kind of event would leave a trace for their ODB scanner to find. Strange.

Oh the error is in memory... trouble is they will not do any warranty service unless the error is active... ie; light is still on.

When we restart the car the error is gone.

Made it to the dealer with the error still active.
They found that the coolant was low and topped it off. We’ll see if it fixes it.... I am skeptical though as it was just below the min level on the reservoir... they ordered a replacement pump in case the problem reappears.

This happened to my wife today as we were driving up a steep canyon. It went into turtle mode and came to a complete stop. We were able to back up downhill to a spot that had a shoulder and was level.
When I turned it back on in an attempt to back further to a safer spot the indicator light was gone.
We drove home fine.
the coolant level is at the min line.
we are adding coolant.
downloading torque pro to get codes. my son is trying to figure out how to do it. I have an iPhone so he is using his android.

I could not get the Torque pro app to work on my son's phone with the csv files so he deleted it.
good news is the other OBD adaptor I use for my nissan Leaf worked to get the codes on the Soul.
they are as follows:
POA 93- "power limited" no suprise there we were in turtle mode.
POC73- "Electric water pump" this gives ma hope that adding the coolant might fix it.

I did not clear the codes in case it acts up again. we are taking a 100 mile trip tomorrow and plan or first QC. I am slightly nervous, but we are going forward. We are at least driving in the direction of a Kia dealer if it happens again we will take it in and leave it.

We made the 130 mile Round trip with a DCQC at 20%
came home with 40% and L2 charged to 100% and did another short trip out and back ending at 30%
no problems and we did highway speeds elevation gain and full A/C with no return of the error codes.

I was curious what OBD adapter you are using? I have not been able to read a code when my check ev light has been on.

Thank you

just bought 2016 Soul EV+, 4 days later same issue. after a full charge EV light was on, turtle mode came on driving up a hill and car became very sluggish. we pulled off to the side, restarted and issue has not returned. car sent to dealership today for troubleshooting.

wondering if you guys ever got to the bottom of your issue as it sounds identical to mine..

This happened to me every day after work - driving on the hwy up hill to return home the check ev light would come on and then it would go into turtle mode and reduce my speed - I complained the first day - had it in to the dealership - they couldn't figure it out - it happened continuously for a year under the same circumstances - periodically visiting the dealership. Then one day it happened on level road headed to work, turning off the car reset the computer and I was able to get home with the error coming on on that hill again. The same the next day, on the way to the dealership. They had to replace the battery. That was 3 months ago. Yesterday the check ev light came on again. So here we go again.

I was curious what OBD adapter you are using? I have not been able to read a code when my check ev light has been on.

Thank you
apparently, all you have to do is (when the check ev light is on) Hold the HVAC Off button down AND within 4 seconds press the MODE button (next to A/C) 4 times, give it couple seconds and it will start displaying the error diagnostic code in sequence. Mind was 108, according to the chart it's Coolant Valve Open. What a relief, not the high voltage battery.

Attachments

• Error-108.jpeg
    Error-108.jpeg
    873.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SoulEV-CHART.jpeg
    SoulEV-CHART.jpeg
    752.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This seems related to other threads which describe sludge in the coolant. Maybe DC charging overwhelms the cooling capability of the system and evaporates some of the coolant? I haven’t had this problem with my 2016, but I only DC charged twice six years ago.

Back