Weird charging issue

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxs

Hi,

anyone can offer further information on this to me weird issue?

I say weird because it has never happened before in my year and half of 2018 model ownership. I plug my Bosch Power Max 2 into the car for non-scheduled charging session. Disco lights come on, car starts receiving charge. All looks normal. Some time after ... charging stops. No fault displayed on the car, nor on the EVSE. All looks like just like when you end charging by unplugging the cable during a charging session. I unplug the cable, plug it back in. Again car starts charging, all looks good. After a while, this time it's shorter than the first time, the same abrupt stops happen. I repeat it third time, of course it shuts off again after even shorter time, this time the EVSE displays a fault. Which according to Bosch means, that CCID (something similar to GFCI I understand) trips, because it senses some irregularity.

If I power off the EVSE and power it back on .... I can go through the above cycle again.

I read the threads where people have had issues with OBC, but my understanding is there's usually an error displayed on the vehicle's dash, plus the cars refuse to take a charge completely.

I have not tried the L1 charging, to eliminate whether this could be the EVSE being faulty, rather than the OBC or car?

Anyone can offer their own similar experience or advise, before I start involving the dealer which I have no problem, but they are not closest and the car is still charging for my daily needs?

L1 charging went on for night duration, without a fail trip. Which is good news, although I am not sure it validates anything at all. Because the OBC for L2 could be using internally different circuitry than L1 ..... so technically it could still be OBC .... the only way to validate that is to take my L2 charger and try to plug it into 220V curcuit elsewhere and try to charge my car .... don't know anyone with such circuit and correct outlet.

I called Bosch, to find out what sort of an advise they can offer ... whether under warranty or out of warranty. Was 5 mins on hold to only be told ... "Sorry, leave a message" .... LOL ... looks like these guys are really ready for the EV invasion.

I will go over my 220V circuit over the weekend, to see whether I can spot any loose wires on either end, causing perhaps higher resistance and thus making the EVSE trip. I might have a look into the EVSE, but only once I find out that Bosch will not be helpful.

I got the EVSE for about 220$, so it was relatively cheap and there is few features I miss dearly ... like setting up lower amps and have phone app for the charger ... so I would not mind replacing it at some point anyway with a different unit than Bosch.

I will update the thread once I find out more ...

Yep, I could and will at some point (they are hard to find unoccupied during regular hours), but that will only prove the state of the car's L2 circuitry. it doesn't help to validate anything regarding my 220V circuit in the garage or the EVSE itself.

I had a sudden stop of charging about three weeks ago, while the car was unatended.
Some days later the charging didn't start right after plugging in. The car was switched off at that moment. So I switched it on (including HV) and at that moment charging started.
I then cleaned all the pins of the inlet (especially the control pilot pin) with contact spray. Since then charging behavior is back to normal.

BR,
Martin

Back