Soul EV Spy Questions and Answers

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gday

This new area is for newbies, early users and advanced users to ask questions and get answers about using Soul EV Spy. The app has two versions.

Soul EV Spy Lite: Free app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evranger.soulevspy
- Reads data from car, displays most of the data. Does not save data in files. No future improvements (except possibly some translations), DC-charger list from goingelectric.de will probably be removed.

Soul EV Spy: Paid app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evranger.soulspy
- Reads data from car, displays most of the data, stores data in files.

According to the developer who is a member of this forum and will join in from time to time (remember he is busily working on the app as a first priority), the app has some support for every Kia and Hyundai model with a battery:
Kia: Ray EV, Soul EV, Optima PHEV (set car model = IONIQ), Niro PHEV, e-Niro and e-Soul.
Hyundai: BlueOn EV, IONIQ EV & PHEV, Kona EV

Please ask questions and I hope others will reply if they know the answer. The idea is hopefully to eventually create a simple reference document as a basis of knowledge, created by those who are interested in knowing more about the inner workings of their EVs.

If anyone has ideas about developing this document PLEASE join in and share them.

I got the question: "Does the app work with all OBD-II dongles, or is a specific dongle needed?"

The app has been developed and tested using Konnwei KW902. I have tried multiple other dongles, and found that some of them sometimes works correctly reading some of the data some of the time; most doesn't work at all.

Other users have found that some other dongles works too, but in my experience they garble or drop data intermittently.

So, if you have an OBD-II bluetooth dongle already, try it, but look out for data-errors.

If you are going to buy a dongle, I recommend the Konnwei KW902.

I got the question "Any plans to add support for OBD2 via Wi-Fi?"

No. I plan to add features improving the app usability for my wife and myself. We have an OBD2 dongle that works reliably with the app, so I have no plans for supporting other types of dongles.

hello experts ,
i want to test first time my soul battery SOH with soul spy so help needed , i did few attempt didn't work
- i ve bluetooth obdii scanner ELM 327 seems (it supported but not sure because it gave one time VIN # and other detail) work with soul ,
1) when car is off that time should i plug ELM 327 and start car in auxiliary mode or Drive mode and drive car normally and data will start to load in soul spy ?
2) start car in auxiliary mode than plug obd ii and wait till data load and drive with plugged obd ii ?

which is correct way #1 or # 2 ?

sorry for stupid question , but what are correct steps as above to connect obd with soul ev for data load in soul spy .
help appreciated , thanks in advance.

** at present car has 114000 KM
** i am driving from almost a week
** find no major issue , except two time random issue of yellow EV triangle & Turtle (limited power ) pops but i could drive full flange even the light on , but also gone by it self so still not sure what to do ?
** at present i am using only Trickle charger ,by this weekend i will install nema 6-20 ( 240 v /16 Amp) from than i will use that one
** at present 100% charge give GOM 115 Km range
** by above information can any expert (assuming ) my battery is bad enough to claim warranty ?

thanks

where are you located? what is the temperature outside now? are you below zero?
It looks you have some degradation, but it doesn't seem severe.

1 plug the dongle
2 start the car as if you are going to drive. it should be ready to drive.
3 look the screen of the phone/ tablet.
4 search the item SOH, this is your magic number. above 70, no battery replacement will occur :)

The app does not necessarily work with all ELM327 dongles - the one I use is Konnwei KW902 and that is the one the developer is using. Other people have used other dongles successfully - maybe they could mention them here?

The way I use Soul EV Spy is like number 1)
a) plug OBD in (turn on if necessary - mine has a button and a red light shows when it is on.)
b) foot on brake, press start.
c) run Soul EV Spy on your phone and connect via Bluetooth (you do need to set up the app first time - model, OBD) - it will tell you when it is connected. If it does not connect check the set up again.
d) open each tab on the app and take a screen shot with your phone - mine does that with a side swipe. The one labeled Car has the SOH
e) connect your phone to a computer and transfer the images or maybe email them to yourself for your records.

The battery cell voltages and SOH etc show when used in a static situation and may be all you need. Note that the SOH is only accurate at this time for the 27kW battery. The developer needs more data for other years since he has to reverse engineer what users find from official Kia information as far as I understand it.

Hope this helps Neel. I have only been using the app for a few weeks but I find it interesting in terms of what it can show about the internal electrics.

Oinq said:
where are you located? what is the temperature outside now? are you below zero?
It looks you have some degradation, but it doesn't seem severe.

1 plug the dongle
2 start the car as if you are going to drive. it should be ready to drive.
3 look the screen of the phone/ tablet.
4 search the item SOH, this is your magic number. above 70, no battery replacement will occur :)

thank you for info , appreciated !!
- i am from Toronto car is with me almost a week , its MY2016 used 3 years in Quebec ( other state more colder than my state) use as taxi and always on DC fast charger as it used commercial , ) that the reason it has high millage and degrade battery , before i go to dealer and claim warranty i want to confirm that it has bellow 70% life left, i will check my ELM 327 today and update here if not i will order KONNWEI KW902

is this right one ?

https://www.gearbest.com/obd-diagnostic-tools/pp_009860565556.html?wid=1433363&currency=CAD&vip=4452582&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrfvsBRD7ARIsAKuDvMNq6VRFMy7ZhktQ3aoxVFpQmOuj8SNokYsfaTJ3VCjMaBnwSxxesykaAiD5EALw_wcB

gday said:
The app does not necessarily work with all ELM327 dongles - the one I use is Konnwei KW902 and that is the one the developer is using. Other people have used other dongles successfully - maybe they could mention them here?

The way I use Soul EV Spy is like number 1)
a) plug OBD in (turn on if necessary - mine has a button and a red light shows when it is on.)
b) foot on brake, press start.
c) run Soul EV Spy on your phone and connect via Bluetooth (you do need to set up the app first time - model, OBD) - it will tell you when it is connected. If it does not connect check the set up again.
d) open each tab on the app and take a screen shot with your phone - mine does that with a side swipe. The one labeled Car has the SOH
e) connect your phone to a computer and transfer the images or maybe email them to yourself for your records.

The battery cell voltages and SOH etc show when used in a static situation and may be all you need. Note that the SOH is only accurate at this time for the 27kW battery. The developer needs more data for other years since he has to reverse engineer what users find from official Kia information as far as I understand it.

Hope this helps Neel. I have only been using the app for a few weeks but I find it interesting in terms of what it can show about the internal electrics.

thank you so much for brief information , yes i read in this forum not all ELM 327 works ,if it doesn't work i will order this , is this right one ??

https://www.gearbest.com/obd-diagnostic-tools/pp_009860565556.html?wid=1433363&currency=CAD&vip=4452582&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrfvsBRD7ARIsAKuDvMNq6VRFMy7ZhktQ3aoxVFpQmOuj8SNokYsfaTJ3VCjMaBnwSxxesykaAiD5EALw_wcB

It is hard to say if it is the "correct" one because so many companies sell them. It certainy looks like mine.

I did contact the makers (Konnwei) and they told me they would sell individual ones but by the time they replied I had already ordered one from elsewhere so I never got a price . This the company link https://m.konnwei.com/sale-12088290...61ex4bzx9lOJSnKQdRFodyczb3TXca3mfXegVhby2VaHI

This is the one I bought on eBay:https://www.ebay.ca/itm/ELM327-Blue...2KJQySYUgeEBgrInWCFwra79TT8Ahz6GqwV7oj_n9zC8g

Neel said:
- i am from Toronto car is with me almost a week , its MY2016 used 3 years in Quebec ( other state more colder than my state) use as taxi and always on DC fast charger as it used commercial , ) that the reason it has high millage and degrade battery , before i go to dealer and claim warranty i want to confirm that it has bellow 70% life left, i will check my ELM 327 today and update here if not i will order KONNWEI KW902

is this right one ?

Regarding the dongle I already had the OBDLINK MX because the Peugeot iOn basically only uses OBDLINK. When I was sending logs to langemand he told me there was some logs with strange behavior, however I never noticed the minimum issues.

gday said:
It is hard to say if it is the "correct" one because so many companies sell them. It certainy looks like mine.

I did contact the makers (Konnwei) and they told me they would sell individual ones but by the time they replied I had already ordered one from elsewhere so I never got a price . This the company link https://m.konnwei.com/sale-12088290...61ex4bzx9lOJSnKQdRFodyczb3TXca3mfXegVhby2VaHI

This is the one I bought on eBay:https://www.ebay.ca/itm/ELM327-Blue...2KJQySYUgeEBgrInWCFwra79TT8Ahz6GqwV7oj_n9zC8g

Thank you , Appreciated !!

Oinq said:
Neel said:

is this right one ?

Regarding the dongle I already had the OBDLINK MX because the Peugeot iOn basically only uses OBDLINK. When I was sending logs to langemand he told me there was some logs with strange behavior, however I never noticed the minimum issues.

thanks !! let me check with my ELM 327 !!

hi,
i tried with my ELM 327 , it connected with soul spy successfully , i touch CAR tab - it got all parameter of my car including vin# , auxilary battery voltage and OBD version etc , but battery and cell map has no data , other tab has also no data , so not sure its ELM 327 issue , the parameter
i got as bellow

-Battery SOH > Unknown Deterioration ( not sure what does this mean ? the device i have ELM 327 not supported ? )
Aux battery > 13.5
ECU name.7EC > BECM-B+EnergyCtrl
OBD DTCcodes. 7EC : 0 Codes
OBD DTCcodes. 7EA : 2 codes > P0A93 , P0C73
VIN # xx perfectly correct XX

** regarding 2 codes - last night while driving suddenly yellow EV triangle pops, than it gone away , morning while going to work about 2KM its pops again with turtle sign , than i reach workplace than it gone by itself whole day it didn't came so not sure what should i do ? coolant leval is above max line , my car is no longer in warranty (bumper to bumper anymore its 114000 km ) except HV battery and HV system only
** is there anyway to check if pump is really malfuction while driving or its just intermittent errors create cause ?? because i read here many new 5-6 month old soul getting this light and error msg. help appriciated , thanks in advance

Neel said:
hi,
i tried with my ELM 327 , it connected with soul spy successfully , i touch CAR tab - it got all parameter of my car including vin# , auxilary battery voltage and OBD version etc , but battery and cell map has no data , other tab has also no data , so not sure its ELM 327 issue , the parameter
i got as bellow

-Battery SOH > Unknown Deterioration ( not sure what does this mean ? the device i have ELM 327 not supported ? )
Aux battery > 13.5

** regarding 2 codes - last night while driving suddenly yellow EV triangle pops, than it gone away , morning while going to work about 2KM its pops again with turtle sign , than i reach workplace than it gone by itself whole day it didn't came so not sure what should i do ? coolant leval is above max line , my car is no longer in warranty (bumper to bumper anymore its 114000 km ) except HV battery and HV system only
** is there anyway to check if pump is really malfuction while driving or its just intermittent errors create cause ?? because i read here many new 5-6 month old soul getting this light and error msg. help appriciated , thanks in advance

Take it to a garage and get it checked and fixed ASAP! You do not want the power eletronics to fail due to overheating, so don't drive the car when it reports cooling errors! Fixing the cooling is very cheap, in comparison to replacing the motor controller and on-board charger.

DTC Codes: You should google them. Here is what I got from Google:
https://www.obd-data.com/p0a93.html
https://www.autocodes.com/p0c73.html

Neel said:
hi,
i got as bellow

I suspect your dongle is limited in some way.
I would invest in a supported dongle.

Oinq said:
Neel said:
hi,
i got as bellow

I suspect your dongle is limited in some way.
I would invest in a supported dongle.

sure , i will order today , Thank you !!

langemand said:
Neel said:
hi,
i got as bellow

Aux battery > 13.5

** is there anyway to check if pump is really malfuction while driving or its just intermittent errors create cause ?? because i read here many new 5-6 month old soul getting this light and error msg. help appreciated , thanks in advance

Take it to a garage and get it checked and fixed ASAP! You do not want the power eletronics to fail due to overheating, so don't drive the car when it reports cooling errors! Fixing the cooling is very cheap, in comparison to replacing the motor controller and on-board charger.

DTC Codes: You should google them. Here is what I got from Google:
https://www.obd-data.com/p0a93.html
https://www.autocodes.com/p0c73.html

Thank you for explaining concern, y'day i reach at my workplace 5am i stop and start car again light gone, everything become normal !! although 9am i decide to do some TLC, i disconnect + terminal of Aux. battery for 15 minute i connect back i found i can't tight terminal enough it stay loose, so i add brass shim, and tight it like it weld, btw " Ev syst. check light already gone before TLC " obviously perfectly fine dashboard and normal drive able status car since y,day 10 AM till now i drove 65KM light didn't came up even at present i don't have any light on my dashboard, or nothing came on yet , please don't get me wrong i am not trying to ignore or dilute concern after all i ve to face consequence of my own ignorance, i am just describing situation, but although today 10 AM i will go to EV certified KIA dealer very close to my work place . again thank you for your concern. appreciated !!

**** UPDATE ***
i just went kia dealer , he asked at present is light on on Dash ? i said no , in that case he said we can only reset OBD code but they can't diagnose further , if light is ON at present than they can find pin point issue , he said best is monitor and drive if light comes again and very often on/off or stays on come direct here don't drive , regarding price ( only for information purpose soul EV owner in toronto ) they charge $260+ tax to diagnose regardless they find anything or not , thats reason he want me to come when light is on or to often light pops...still not sure to go and reset code ? thanks

Neel said:
i want to upload screenshot of Spy soul . how can i post here ?
This forum can only display images linked via an URL - this means you have to upload your screenshot somewhere else on the internet. Make sure it is accessible for anybody, without any login.
Then copy the full URL into Img-tags, e.g.
Code:
[img]https://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/image-106/10330_2016_soul_ev.jpg[/img]
is displayed as:
10330_2016_soul_ev.jpg

i am planning to order one of this , but this konnwei 902 spread all over online with same name , top of that this issue come to an attention , any experts can share thoughts on this , thank you !!
also this konnwei kw902 has V1.5 but it says blutooth 2.1 and some are 3.0 etc , if i understand correctly this V1.5 is chipset version , and blutooth 2.1 and 3.0 etc are related with blutooth communication in short , obdii V1.5 is not related with blutooth 2.1 and 3.0 . am i understanding correct ? or am i doing mistake ? please update , thanks

*** whole info. mention on here nissan leaf blog.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=23776

Back