request some technical info . and want to know EWP bench test if possible

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neel

hello experts,
happy thanksgiving (canadian)
i am new owner of Kia soul EV 2016 , i got one with commercially used , working fine no issue ,last 2 days i am getting "EV check light" it pops but goes away , i have my ELM 327 with spy soul Ev it shows limited parameters ( not sure why limited ) its enough to load car detail and DTC codes , i got P0A93 and P0C73 seems EWP related concern, i am already 100000+ km so 5yr. warranty no longer , at present no light on desh and car works fine , so not sure light pops because it has already code stored ? really colling issue ? loose wire ? its thanksgiving weekend no kia dealer will help , so i thought let me do some TLC, i ve few technical questions if anyone encounter will be appriciated

** is EWP can tested regular 12VDC supply on bench ? just to confirm any mechanical or electrical issue ?
** what is function of battery cooling fan /blower ( in the trunk ) work while charging ? or driving ? - i am thinking to inspect that one too
** any toronto kia soul owner has encounter with EV certified GTA dealer ? can suggest megood dealer name or person name where i can trust knowledge and honesty ? in that case i book appointment tuesday.
** is it normal to run radiator fan on Trickle charger plugged overnight from 33% to =93% ) and radiator fan was spinning ??
thanks in advance , help appriciated

I only know the answer to some of these:

Battery fan in the trunk is for cooling the battery both while driving and while charging. It will run at different speeds or not at all depending on how warm the battery gets. I don't think this is your problem, you are getting water pump codes and inverter temperature codes. The inverter is cooled by the coolant circulated by the water pump. I think your problem is with the water pump.

I'm not sure what you mean by a trickle charger - Level 1 is the 120V cord the car came with, Level 2 is a 240V wall charger and Level 3 is DC fast charging.

The radiator fan comes on to cool the coolant and it all depends on how warm things are. It's common when level 2 charging, but I don't charge with level 1 so I don't know if it will come on with that.

notfred said:
I only know the answer to some of these:

Battery fan in the trunk is for cooling the battery both while driving and while charging. It will run at different speeds or not at all depending on how warm the battery gets. I don't think this is your problem, you are getting water pump codes and inverter temperature codes. The inverter is cooled by the coolant circulated by the water pump. I think your problem is with the water pump.

I'm not sure what you mean by a trickle charger - Level 1 is the 120V cord the car came with, Level 2 is a 240V wall charger and Level 3 is DC fast charging.

The radiator fan comes on to cool the coolant and it all depends on how warm things are. It's common when level 2 charging, but I don't charge with level 1 so I don't know if it will come on with that.

thank you appriciate your brief explanation
yes here in north america 120v / leval 1 charger we called trickle charger , i am installing today 220v / 16 amp ,level 2 charger today.
btw, i remove the ground and sand paper it put it back with snug tight and at present no EV system check light although i will focus on water pump wait till light come again diagnose properly with dealer after holiday because they said they can only diagnose either light is stay on or issue in driving other wise they just explain based on histry of code this kind of answer makes more confuse , or direct buy water pump and replace it by my self if it works .

JejuSoul said:
-
There's an old thread with same error - Electric Water Pump
-

thank you sir ,
pic. links seems dead , is there any chance i can view pics.
is any one dismetle the EWP of kia soul ev ? i mean can find picture ?
btw what voltage it runs ? unplug socket and can be tested on12v DC ??

thanks

Neel said:
...pic. links seems dead , is there any chance i can view pics.
Sure.

The EWP in the Soul EV is made by Myunghwa Ind.CO.,LTD in South Korea.
see https://myunghwa.com/eng/sub02/sub04_1_view.php

The pump sits underneath the coolant reservoir. Here's a photo of it.

Here's a picture with the OBC and the High Voltage Junction Box moved so you can see the Reservoir (the white plastic water tank) and pump beneath.

Here's a schematic of where the EWP moves coolant around.

----

The official GDS has an OBD code to bleed the coolant system after any repair. We do not know this code.

Thank you for you help
much appriciated ,
next weekend i am plannig to disassemble pump for physical damage or
any visual electronic burnt or moisture leak etc. if i can find , because at present light is gone(anyway its intermittently) and car is running perfect as well no drivable issue, also weather is dropping everyday now night and early morning is 4-6 C day time 12-15 C
if i didn't find anything in pump , i have to wait till light stady on to go kia dealer , because they clearly said they can't do anything if light is off, history can't give them idea of present issue.

while i disassemble i will take few picture and try to post for other members.

again thank you verymuch

JejuSoul, thanks for your technical references. I'm curious about boosting cabin heat with a hot water reservoir. In my older EVs, I've used a 5 gallon steel tank (outboard motor fuel tank) full of hot water for supplemental cabin heating. According to my calculations, that 43 lbs delivered more sensible heat than 43 lbs of lithium batteries could! However, it is a slow delivery of heat, and much of that heat is not recovered during a morning commute as the tank that started a trip at 180 degrees F may only cool to 120 degrees or so before I park it at work. Much more heat could be extracted by the Soul's heat pump, so I'm looking for clues as to where to splice into the coolant loop in order to input hot water without hurting efficiency (and service life) of the water-cooled components...
A sequence of operations for the 3-way valve and temperature set points would be very helpful.

In the first iteration, I simply filled the 5 gallons of hot water directly from my domestic water heater each morning and then dumped the cool water later, but would like to make it a bit more elegant with an electrically-heated storage tank that heats up whenever plugged in at L2. Th flip side is also intriguing, to fill the reservoir with ice on summer days, but less of a benefit in the temperate Pacific Northwest... However, if that were to also improve service life and summer range by keeping the motor and inverter cold.... there's some potential.

Cheers,
Jay

Back