Reset BMS by removing BMS fuse

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimdavi

My 2015 Kia Soul EV battery pack with 52% SOH was replaced recently under Kia Warranty. The previous range was 56 miles. Now I'm able to travel over 100 miles. However, my GOM still reports 54 miles at 100% charge. The estimated range hasn't changed in 4 weeks since the replacement. I have tried to recalibrate the BMS by driving down to 8% and charging up to 100% over the past 3 weeks. I've done this 3 times but the GOM range remains at 54 miles.

I would like to reset the BMS so that it will adjust the GOM using the new battery. Any thoughts about how to do this? I thought about disconnecting the battery, but I discovered today there is a BMS fuse in the engine compartment. Perhaps removing the fuse might reset the BMS computer? Before attempting this I would like to any advice.

i would suggest , drive car till 5-10 KM juice left , than charge with level 1 charger , it will take 15-16 hours to finish 100% charge , than use the car again till juice left less than 10 KM you can use level 2 charger to fill full follow this process atleast 2-3 time and BMS will be calibrate ,
hope this will help .

I've had more or less the same experience as you did. Finally, after about two months, the car actually knows that is has got a new battery.

I don't know why it took so long.

I did get the new software for the BMS before. At that time he car was reset back to the normal factory readings. Of course I still had a bad battery and it took a few weeks for the car to learn it actually couldn't drive 150 km. Unfortunately my dealer could not do this 'reset' again after the battery replacement. Apparently this happens when they put in new software. Because the new software is already loaded you can't load it again and the reset can't be done separately either.

It's probably a good thing you can't reset at will otherwise everybody would do a reset just before they were selling the car to make it look brand new. But it's still annoying in this situation.

I performed my test last night. I located the 10 amp fuse label BMS in the engine compartment fuse box. Kia provides a plastic fuse puller which makes it super easy to remove. I took the fuse out and waited 45 minutes. I then reinserted the fuse. Restarted the car and noticed no change. My GOM range, EV efficiency , driving history all remained exactly the same. My test to reset the BMS unfortunately failed.

Back