help request to understand HVAC (heating) troubleshoot reference to check ev light

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neel

hi experts,
as i am facing intermittly check ev system light , my bluetooth OBDII read 2-3 time DTC code but later it read everything but not DTC code OR its cleared by it self not sure , so i already order KW902 which is onthe way ,
i decided to monitor the situation when * check ev light pops
** in toronto we just finished 1 load of snow y'day , its ( --2 , --5 Degree Centi,)
i decide to drive car climate off ,( no heat or defrost nothing ) just heated seat i drove 50 KM -- No check ev light came
i tested this 3 days in raw - NO check ev light at all
** as test 2 - i start heater or defrost on in middle of drive or bigining of driving - check ev light pops (10 out of 8 time) within (3-25 minute any moment )
** once check ev light on it stays on , than i reach destination , i shut off the car , start car same time , light stay on , shut of car again , start again and light is gone
** precisely 20+ time i tested and notice every second start * check ev light goes off " till i start heater again

in my case , this light comes on with heater on means it seems related with HVAC system,
when i bought the car it was end of summer and i tested full AirCondition , so never notice this issue on heater,
my car is no longer in warranty, is any one face this issue ? can any experts suggest what to look related with this issue,
i tap it plug unplug connector with heat pump solenoid valve under the hood but still no luck,

** car overnight parked in (-2 degree C ) , next day go to work with heater on it blows nice worm air ( 23.5 C set point , within 3 minute ) i mean it seems works fine , than check ev light on but heater function normally don't notice any change

** every time heater starts first 1 -2 minute smell like new car (not burning wires) is this normal ??
*** btw when i press AUto ** Climate control it always start heater and AC togather is it normal ?
** it has anything to do with ion clustor ?? or filter ? blower damper ? etc ?
** is HVAC system use all its power for 12V battery ?? i mean solenoid , 3 way valve , coolant pump etc ?
help appriciated , thanks in advace

The HVAC system uses high voltage from the main battery for the compressor and I think also for the resistive heating wires. All the blower fan, solenoids and that kind of stuff use the 12V.

If you have a problem on the high voltage stuff, you need to take it to a dealer. It's 400 Volts DC and capable of delivering 100's of Amps. Unless you are a power line worker and used to dealing with that kind of stuff, you could very easily kill yourself and others around you.

notfred said:
The HVAC system uses high voltage from the main battery for the compressor and I think also for the resistive heating wires. All the blower fan, solenoids and that kind of stuff use the 12V.

If you have a problem on the high voltage stuff, you need to take it to a dealer. It's 400 Volts DC and capable of delivering 100's of Amps. Unless you are a power line worker and used to dealing with that kind of stuff, you could very easily kill yourself and others around you.

Thank you, for mentioned and precautionary advice , appreciated
* i am well aware of not to touch 400v battery , if i don't know what i am doing i never do!!
things can go wrong easily and body become vapor instant , if lucky then they shovel my body if anything left.

** i am here understand the co-relation between HVAC vs check EV light as technical point , as none of forum mentioned check EV light tied with HVAC (specially cabin heater) issue.
** is there any PIDs for torque specially diagnose HVAC system ??

thanks

-
You may find some of the comments on this thread about the HVAC useful.
Heating and Cooling the Cabin - The HVAC System

It's an old thread. No one has commented much about the HVAC in the last 3 years!

There is a diagnostic system for reading HVAC trouble codes from the console unit.

The only known codes so far are 00 - Normal and 50 - .Cluster ion generator fault.
Code:
Cluster Ionizer Inspection
Press the MODE switch more then 4 times within 2 seconds while pressing the OFF switch.
Display	Fail description
00	Normal
50	Cluster ion generator fault

I expect the Diagnostic Trouble Codes for the Soul EV to resemble these from the Kia Cee'd, but this list is not in our manual.

JejuSoul said:
-
You may find some of the comments on this thread about the HVAC useful.
Heating and Cooling the Cabin - The HVAC System

It's an old thread. No one has commented much about the HVAC in the last 3 years!

There is a diagnostic system for reading HVAC trouble codes from the console unit.

The only known codes so far are 00 - Normal and 50 - .Cluster ion generator fault.
Code:
Cluster Ionizer Inspection
Press the MODE switch more then 4 times within 2 seconds while pressing the OFF switch.
Display	Fail description
00	Normal
50	Cluster ion generator fault

I expect the Diagnostic Trouble Codes for the Soul EV to resemble these from the Kia Cee'd, but this list is not in our manual.

thank you !! Appreciated !! i will try that , also is there any Pids to check HVAC system ? you are well known expert here , may be you encounter or heard this kind of problem when start of cabin heater pops check ev light !! also possible to get Hvac electrical diagram for HVAC to check PTC relay may be intermittently function because 10 out of 7 times check ev light pops , and 3 times it perfectly normal no check ev light at all . thanks in advance.

Back