What will Torque do that Soul Spy won't?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgeliot

Greetings -
I'm considering buying a Soul EV, my 2017 Leaf having just been totaled.
I used Leaf Spy with the Leaf.
I see here lots of mentions of EV Spy, but then also of the Torque app.

Is there some particular reason to get this Torque app? When I went to download it, it wanted a bunch of rights on my phone that seemed excessive. Is there something I would be able to do with Torque that I couldn't do with EV Spy?

Thanks!

I don't think that there is anything related to reading values from the Soul EV that Torque can do that Soul EV Spy cannot.

Torque wants access to things like accelerometer and GPS data so it can capture things like 0-60 times and try to calculate how many horsepower you actually have, which is something that Soul EV Spy doesn't do but it is kind of pointless for our cars.

I suppose the one useful thing that Torque does do that Soul EV Spy doesn't is to read and clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes. Unfortunately we don't really have details for most of the DTCs on the Soul EV so it's going to be "Take it to the dealer when the error light comes on".

tgeliot said:
... Is there something I would be able to do with Torque that I couldn't do with EV Spy?...

No. In fact SoulEVSpy can show more. (odometer, ambient temp, VIN).
I recommend you get SoulEVSpy because it is easier to install.

Back