ksoul2084

Re: Analysis of a replacement battery.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:42 am

JejuSoul wrote:-
After 6 months my car with a replacement battery still shows 110% SOH. It has lost 0.1% from Max and 0.0% from Min.
This GOM reading is higher than when the car was new.

That's fantastic!

Looking forward to seeing how mine works out in this harsh Canadian climate.

JejuSoul

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:25 am

-
Another test of the replacement battery.

I drove 90km today using 40% of the battery.
It was 32C and I had the air-con on the whole time.
Drove mostly at 80km/h. The energy consumption was 7.5km / kWh.

These figures suggest I can get 225km from a 30kWh battery.

-
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

IanL

Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:23 pm

That sounds reasonable. My equivalent values are 6.9km/kWh and 214 km. That's with lots of hills and an average speed of about 32 km/hr, mostly without heating or aircon.

What are you using to get SOH? Would it work with a 2018 model?

EVDee

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:39 am

90km only using 40%? :shock:
90km and I've got maybe 20% left with no A/C use and mostly around town driving..

I had mine looked at earlier this week, but haven't heard back from them yet. Really hoping Kia approves it this time around vs having to go back in a few months to have it done again. According to SoulSpy I'm anywhere between 67% - 71% as it keep bouncing every time I calibrate it.

JejuSoul

Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:54 am

IanL wrote:...What are you using to get SOH? Would it work with a 2018 model?...

I have a 27kWh Soul EV with a replacement battery. It has 96 updated cells, and an updated version of the BMS.
The new usable capacity seems to be 30kWh.
On both the original battery and the replacement, the BMS has PIDs which show Maximum and Minimum deterioration from a capacity that is usable capacity + early years buffer.

The 2018 Soul EV has 100 cells, and a different version of the BMS. The usable capacity is 30kWh.
It does not have these 2 PIDs.
All Hyundai / Kia electric vehicles share the same BMS; with the exception that the 27kWh Soul EV has the extra PIDs. for Maximum and Minimum deterioration.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

nibularr

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:17 am

im currently going through the process with Kia Canada to try and get a new battery, currently only getting 58KM on a full charge with 115,558
km on odom. hoping i get one of these 2018 batteries here. that would be a bonus

EVDee

Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:09 pm

Hopefully in the next while I'll get to join the club of getting a new battery replacement. So far the ordeal has been quite the test of my patience, but hopefully today is the final step before getting approved.

It took 3 days to get a hold of the dealership and had I not known what others have shared here, I would have been passed off as "there's no error light, so everything's fine." non-sense. So Kia took my car in to do their scans and something that was only supposed to take a few minutes ended up taking the entire day. Whatever, I work all day so it didn't matter. After that, they told me that they had to wait for Kia to get back to the them - fair enough. Two weeks and nothing from them, so I call..

Dealer: Yeah, they wanted us to do more scans
Me: ..well when were you going to tell me that?!
Dealer: We can take you in at 2. (It's noon, I'm at work and my job is on the road)

So after getting my friend to do me a huge favor, they scanned it, updated the BMS and called me to tell me it's ready.

Dealer: All good to go!
Me: Is there anything I need to know?
Dealer: Nope, the tech did an update and now everything is fine.
Me: Schedule an appointment for Monday morning, because it most certainly isn't okay.
Dealer: ..okay.

Took the car in this morning and I got the sense that they really didn't think the scan would reveal anything (and frankly had I not ensured that the BMS recalibrated, it wouldn't have) only to have the tech act surprised when the reading is worse than before. I was told the same story: Kia has to take a look at the data and will get back to them with how to proceed. However he really tried to downplay the idea that they'd replace the battery - no error codes, it's high mileage (still in warranty) and still works fine, yada yada yada.

I've clocked ~146,000km and am at ~65% SoH - they damn well better replace the battery!

Wish me luck.

Return to “Technical Discussions”