Lelik

Re: Soul Spy?

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:05 am

Checked the SOH is 81%, battery max.cell detoriation_pct 58, max cell V 3.74 battery min.cell detoriation_n 2. Also I noticed that after I charged to 100% last night, the spy shows following SOC_display 100%, battery.SOC 95%, battery.SOC_precise_pct 75%.

Any thought about these numbers? Should I call Kia to get my car checked?

JejuSoul

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:43 am

-
Looks like one of the cells has gone bad. If so you will be getting a battery replacement soon.

To be sure, please post the voltage heatmap screen.
Once after driving - try accelerating up a hill - stop at the top and take a screen shot.
Once when charging - try to get a screen shot just before charging finishes.
Any bad cell would stand out clearly. And it would be the same cell on both images.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Oinq

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:58 am

Force a battery calibration. Chargebt 100%, discharge below 20% and charge again to 100% that will update the BMS. After this do what @Jejusoul said above.

I suspect you will get a new battery soon from Kia.

Ps, are you Dutch?

Code: Select all

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GHPRH6iS98wNhViDA

Soul EV 2016

Lelik

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:36 am

Thanks for suggestions, I will try to do that. I noticed that cell 1 has lower voltage than the rest. I'm Russian, but living in Canada, Vancouver. I used to drive Nissan Leaf for 3 years same route and lost like 4% over that period of time. So I hoping it is either the bad battery or some software issue. I have called Kia and scheduled a check up. They told me that based on VIN the BMS software was updated, but it might be worth to try the update one more time.

Does one bad cell cause the battery replacement under the warranty?

Lelik

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:05 pm

After discharging to 20% and charging back to 100% cell #1 showing 4.10v the rest showing 3.88-3.90v, so it’s clear that the cell#1 is bad. The temperature above cell#1 was 33C and the rest 28C. Car display shows 100% charge, however the soulspy soc-display 75.5% and soc precise only 49.8%. So I assume that the cell#1 reaches the max voltage and tell BMS to stop charging to avoid overcharge. I will let battery seat overnight and cool down in this case the voltage will dropdown a bit and car should charge a bit more till cel #1 again reaches the max voltage. Does anyone have battery cell replaced? Or it has to be whole battery pack?

Oinq

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:46 pm

When I bought my car I was told they will repair or change the pack, that was their decision.

Soul EV 2016

JejuSoul

Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:37 am

Lelik wrote:After discharging to 20% and charging back to 100% cell #1 showing 4.10v the rest showing 3.88-3.90v, so it’s clear that the cell#1 is bad. The temperature above cell#1 was 33C and the rest 28C. ...

Yes. Cell #1 has gone bad.

Technical details -
The Soul EV battery pack has 192 polymer pouch type cells.They are laid out in a series string of 96 sets of 2 parallel cells. A group of 12 cell pairs form a module. There are 96 cell voltage sensors, and 8 module temperature sensors.

Cell #1 is in module 1. Because Cell #1 has gone bad it heats up faster than the rest, hence the temperature of module 1 is higher than the rest.
The car normally charges until the cells reach about 4.12V, (it depends on the temperature). When one cell is bad the car stops charging early.

I have a Hyundai BlueOn electric car with a single bad cell, and this behaviour matches what you are seeing.

Kia has never 'fixed' a faulty cell by replacing just the one cell. They have always replaced the entire pack. I assume that this is easier for the local mechanics. Kia has never been pro-active in fixing a pack that is failing, they will only do a replacement after the SOH has reached 70%. However once a cell has gone bad the entire pack will deteriorate quickly. You will be getting a new pack soon. And luckily for you it will probably be a 30kWh pack that replaces your existing 27kWh pack.

This issue is also talked about here - Battery Ageing Model
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Lelik

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:52 am

So to accelerate the battery degradation I need to go completely opposite of what every EV onwer does. Discharge to very minimum and use quick charge as frequent as possible.

Oinq

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:30 am

Lelik wrote:So to accelerate the battery degradation I need to go completely opposite of what every EV onwer does. Discharge to very minimum and use quick charge as frequent as possible.

make the battery hot and you will definitely kill it.
Lot's of highway, ac full on, charge it at hot days on quick charge, like certainly accelerate his life cycle.

Soul EV 2016

ksoul2084

Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:18 am

So recently my SOH reading dipped below 80% for the first time (79%).

SOH: 79%
Max cell det %: 42.3
Min cell det%: 16.9%

Then after driving more and dipping to 7% SOC and charging to 100% again it reset to:
SOH: 91%
Max cell det %: 37.3
Min cell det%: 0.6%

I find the SOH to be fairly misleading, not really sure what it's telling me?

I find the Battery SOC prec(ise?) value to be a better representation of my overall battery state of health, since when the battery is at 100% SOC, it seems to how the actual available percentage of the battery vs. when it was new.

So on my soul battery SOC at 100% , SOC Prec = 58.72%. In my experience this represents an accurate estimation of the range I will get from the charge.

SOC Prec 100% = 150kms range (when new).
SOC Prec 58.72% = 88kms range now (what the GOM typically shows).

Of course, depending on my driving habits I can squeek up to 110kms out of the range, but typically no more than 100kms.

So what good is SOH? Do others find SOC Prec to a better indicator of overall battery health?

Return to “Technical Discussions”