warren55

Re: Soul Spy?

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:23 pm

JeroenE wrote:I have a bad dongle that does the same and gives the same error in Soul Spy. It's a small blue translucent dongle, and on the forum you can find other people where it doesn't work.

I think you probably need another one. Can you try the ELM327 identifier app? The one I have doesn't even have all the commands for the first version. Probably just enough to spit out it's V1.5 :(

Anyone considering buying a dongle that doesn't already have one should know that it is a crap shoot at best. These are mostly Chinese knock-offs of the ELM 327 protocol, and some of them can actually be dangerous to use in your car. Buy the recommended one (KW 902) if at all possible! The last time I checked, it was about $16 to $20 US on Amazon.

JeroenE

Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:03 pm

Unfortunately shops on Amazon mostly don't ship to Europe. Or at least not The Netherlands. I ordered another in China, perhaps this one works better.

Oinq

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:55 pm

Code: Select all

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GHPRH6iS98wNhViDA

Soul EV 2016

gday

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:24 am

For those looking for the "right" dongles, this dongle works for me: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/ELM327-Bluetooth-OBD2-OBDII-Car-Code-Reader-Diagnostic-Scanner-For-Android-PC/254140503730?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&fbclid=IwAR3TkThbWnvMK-3ZtybTkzTwlKKn9hzBZAUk-EXD4WKEiiEp8LNU-utqtZU

It was about $20 CDN

I also contacted Konnwei and they said they would sell individual units but they also said it will not work with electric cars - they appear to be wrong! Soulspy works with it.

JeroenE

Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:46 am

Oinq wrote:Delivered Tuesday in Belgium. 17€
Thanks, I did not think of looking at the .de site :oops:

I had already ordered one in China. I will see of that one works better and if not I can always buy the one you found.

I now have a new battery in my car. They did not reset the BMS, so it still shows the old values, even for the min and max deterioration.

I guess it will reset once I make a larger drive. I only drove about 40 km. Not all of it on the high way, but quite a lot. It took 29% and that would make it seem like it used to be.

Also Soul Spy didn't once loose connection with the dongle. I'm not sure if that is related to the new battery.

Edit: They did not make a new readout of the battery, but I did get the old one. It says SoH 49,6%. Unfortunately I do not have the min or max deterioration from that time. The sheet does not mention those either. It is however in the same ballpark as the "new" "bad" SoH that Soul Spy displays. The new calculations are way better than the old one which says 82.8% (as in Torque). Not sure if this is really helpful information, but I said I'd ask.

langemand

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:05 pm

JeroenE wrote:I now have a new battery in my car. They did not reset the BMS, so it still shows the old values, even for the min and max deterioration.
Edit: They did not make a new readout of the battery, but I did get the old one. It says SoH 49,6%. Unfortunately I do not have the min or max deterioration from that time. The sheet does not mention those either. It is however in the same ballpark as the "new" "bad" SoH that Soul Spy displays. The new calculations are way better than the old one which says 82.8% (as in Torque). Not sure if this is really helpful information, but I said I'd ask.

Glad to here the battery replacement went smoothly.

If you share the last Max det and min det from before the battery replacement, and the first Max det and min det after, those could be useful along with the official SOH of the replaced battery.
Improving Soul EV Spy app. Errors: Send me the soulspy.log*.txt-files
Kia e-Soul: 2019-
History:
Kia Soul EV 2015-2019: http://soul.spjeldager.dk/
Nissan Evalia 2015: http://evalia.spjeldager.dk/
Peugeot 106 Electric 2010-2015: http://elbil.spjeldager.dk/

JejuSoul

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:39 pm

JeroenE wrote:...I now have a new battery in my car. They did not reset the BMS, so it still shows the old values, even for the min and max deterioration...

Wow. Normally they replace the entire pack, BMS included. I wonder if they changed all the cells, or just the 'bad' ones.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

JeroenE

Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:21 pm

langemand wrote:If you share the last Max det and min det from before the battery replacement, and the first Max det and min det after, those could be useful along with the official SOH of the replaced battery.
The max deterioration was 59.2 in cell 83. Soul Spy said SOH was 46.1.

According to the dealer I got a new battery so the new SOH should be 110%, I guess.

JejuSoul wrote:Wow. Normally they replace the entire pack, BMS included. I wonder if they changed all the cells, or just the 'bad' ones.
I don't know how I can tell the difference. They said I got a completely new battery. They've reset the BMS once before (they put in new software). I lost my entire driving history and the car started with 150 km range. That hasn't been done this time. At least this is what I mean with a reset of the BMS, perhaps I don't use the right terminology?

ZuinigeRijder

Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:35 pm

JeroenE wrote:
langemand wrote:If you share the last Max det and min det from before the battery replacement, and the first Max det and min det after, those could be useful along with the official SOH of the replaced battery.
The max deterioration was 59.2 in cell 83. Soul Spy said SOH was 46.1.

According to the dealer I got a new battery so the new SOH should be 110%, I guess.

JejuSoul wrote:Wow. Normally they replace the entire pack, BMS included. I wonder if they changed all the cells, or just the 'bad' ones.
I don't know how I can tell the difference. They said I got a completely new battery. They've reset the BMS once before (they put in new software). I lost my entire driving history and the car started with 150 km range. That hasn't been done this time. At least this is what I mean with a reset of the BMS, perhaps I don't use the right terminology?

You can force a calibration by driving to 100%, then below 19% (does not need one drive though) and then charge to 100%. Sometimes you need to repeat this twice.

langemand

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:01 am

JeroenE wrote:They did not make a new readout of the battery, but I did get the old one. It says SoH 49,6%.

JeroenE wrote:The max deterioration was 59.2 in cell 83.

Again, Elmils formula correlates closest to the official SOH! Elmils formula puts the SOH at 48,3%, and given that the readings are taken some time apart, a difference is to be expected.

Of the 5 cars where I have a max det reading taken reasonably close to the time of the official SOH printout, the only two cars where there is a significant difference between Elmils formula and the official SOH, are the cars where the max det reading has been recorded some time apart from the official SOH reading. And in both cases, Elmils formula differs less than 2 percent, where the current SoulEvSpy calculation as well as the Torque calculation differs more.

I will replace the SOH calculation in SoulEVSpy with Elmils formula. It will be available from BETA version 0.1.2-XXXX onwards.

At the same time I will remove the cap at 100% SOH, so the app again will display percentages above 100. This will give you an idea of how close you are to experience a shorter range.

Please note: The SOH calculation is ONLY working for Soul EV model years 2014-2016 (the Souls originally having 27 kWh accessible battery capacity)! Perhaps it works in Kia Ray EV and Hyundai BlueOn EV also, I am unsure of those.

We still don't know where to find data for deterioration or SOH for newer Soul EV models originally having 30, 39 or 64 kWh accessible battery capacity; Hyundai Ioniq; Hyundai Kona and Kia e-Niro, or any of the HEV and PHEV hybrids and plugin hybrids.

For all Korean EVs, HEVs and PHEVs from model year 2017 onwards, I need souldata.log files and the official SOH value from cars having SOH below 100%, to search for the SOH information in the data.
Improving Soul EV Spy app. Errors: Send me the soulspy.log*.txt-files
Kia e-Soul: 2019-
History:
Kia Soul EV 2015-2019: http://soul.spjeldager.dk/
Nissan Evalia 2015: http://evalia.spjeldager.dk/
Peugeot 106 Electric 2010-2015: http://elbil.spjeldager.dk/

Return to “Technical Discussions”