2016Electric

Re: Soul Spy?

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:49 pm

SiLiZiUMM wrote:
2016Electric wrote:Glad to hear she is ok (GF) and glad to hear the car held up well. I'm assuming then that there was no intrusion into the back seat area...
BTW, how's the public charging infrastructure in Quebec? Ours around TO is .. fairly under-developed.
I'll be curious to see what kind of range you get over the winter. I'm waiting on some real world info about that before proceeding.

Indeed, the back seat is 100% correct, the trunk got the impact. I have some pictures here (in french): http://menu-principal-forums-aveq.10973 ... 32396.html

The public charging infrastructure is really great here, and it's developing very fast! We now something like 30 Level 3 chargers in the province (we have 2 in Quebec City), and a lot of level 2 chargers (over 700 I think). I hope Ottawa would get one soon, my sister lives accross the river (in Gatineau)!

Yikes! That's a nasty one. The person that hit your car must have been moving quite quickly, or been driving something quite heavy.. Still, glad everyone was ok.
Thanks for the pics though.. they really show how well built this little car is.

Good to know your charging infrastructure in QC is being built out at a good rate... indeed, I hope things work our for some chargers in Ottawa too! Perhaps after October 19th, things will begin to move along ;)
I know of two fast chargers in the area I live, and while they aren't all that far (less than 2 km), the traffic around here is just so horrible that it would probably take at least 30 mins to get to them! Would certainly need a good level 2 charger at home - which seems like a no-brainer to me given how convenient that would be (and not that hard to install either).

I've really got to get out and test drive one of these!

TyrelHaveman

Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:59 am

Hey folks,

I just wanted to join in here on the CAN bus discussions. I currently have two LEAFs and use Leaf Spy Pro, but my wife wants to switch to a Soul EV. I'm a software developer and have some experience with Android development, but I don't have much CAN bus experience other than reading some early discussions of when folks were reverse engineering the LEAF.

If we get the Soul EV (probably this weekend), I'd love to learn some CAN stuff and do some reverse engineering to help out this effort.

tractioninc

Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:21 pm

That's excellent! Here's to a good experience at the dealership.
Kia Soul EV+, Porsche 928

TyrelHaveman

Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:57 pm

tractioninc wrote:That's excellent! Here's to a good experience at the dealership.

We got it. 2016 Soul EV+ w/Sun & Fun, Titanium Gray.

I have an OBD-II bluetooth adapter that I've used with Leaf Spy... now to find some software I can put on my laptop to start recording the CAN bus messages so I can help reverse engineer it. Any suggestions?
Tyrel Haveman
Bellingham, WA, US
12.2 kW Solar Array!
2016 Kia Soul EV+ Sun & Fun, Titanium Gray
2013 Nissan Leaf SL
Former: 2013 Nissan LEAF SV, 2012 Nissan LEAF SL

AlKl

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:46 am

So,
last weekend i made again some traces and found out following:
ID4B0 is the tire rotation speed: 4x 16Bit values (Intel Format). I used factor 0,033 to get km/h.
ID594 byte 5 is a 8Bit SOC value (factor 0,5 for %) (maybe for display)
ID598 byte 4+5 (Intel format) is a precise SOC value. I calculated factor 0,00445 according to SOC.
Some diagrams of the trace are in the German forum: http://www.goingelectric.de/forum/kia-s ... ml#p250271
So i think we have first values to work with...
I also got following status bits:
ID 18 byte 0: doors; byte 3 and byte 5: light, byte 7: seat belt
ID 50 byte 1: wiper & light; byte 2: turn signal & wiper
D 120 central locking system
ID 433 byte 2: Parking break switch status

Example msg:
55D 67 84 46 E1 20 50 00 01
Byte 0 = 67; Byte 7 = 01
Last edited by AlKl on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

JejuSoul

Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:15 am

This is great.
Being able to collect data for speed and SOC in real time gives a great way to measure performance.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

TyrelHaveman

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:41 am

AlKl wrote:So,
last weekend i made again some traces and found out following

Fantastic finds, AlKl!
Tyrel Haveman
Bellingham, WA, US
12.2 kW Solar Array!
2016 Kia Soul EV+ Sun & Fun, Titanium Gray
2013 Nissan Leaf SL
Former: 2013 Nissan LEAF SV, 2012 Nissan LEAF SL

JejuSoul

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:13 pm

There appears to be an easier way for us do all this.
A company in Hong Kong is selling Kia's complete diagnostic toolkit for 155 USD. (Another 85 USD for the software)
See http://www.adkautodiagnostic.com/v15-gd ... -2329.html

The Soul EV is in the list of supported models. Is this too good to be true?
It is the same GDS software that produced the images of battery voltages in the service manual that I posted earlier.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

notfred

Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:35 am

That looks fantastic! A CAN bus monitor in the middle to dump out what it is sending and receiving should tell us everything we need.

Where I am cautious on this is that many of the dealership diagnostic tools want to talk to headquarters to get updates etc and part of that is often authentication and authorisation to run. We would need to know that this will run without being plugged in to the Internet and talking to headquarters and without needing some magic codes that are only handed out to dealers. It's almost at the price point where it would be worth just taking a risk and buying it anyway, especially as there seem to be a whole bunch of useful cables. Any indication from other forums of if someone has bought one of these for other Kia models and it has worked?

The other alternative is someone being friendly enough with a local dealer mechanic to do the CAN bus dump with the diagnostic tool at the dealership.

Birkeland

Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:55 am

I have too done some research and found that the diagnostic toolkit mentioned should do the job. If someone is serious about buying this product and put some effort to dump the data and present it here, I am willing to donate some dollars for the purchase. Anyone else?
Owner of a 2015 KIA Soul Exclusive, Titanium Silver

Return to “Technical Discussions”