JeroenE

Re: Soul Spy?

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:51 am

langemand wrote:Again, Elmils formula correlates closest to the official SOH! Elmils formula puts the SOH at 48,3%, and given that the readings are taken some time apart, a difference is to be expected.
The reading I have recorded which is closest to the time the battery SOH was determined by the dealer is 52.1 (also at cell 83). This was done in Torque though, not Soul Spy. That was a month after the battery reading was taken at the dealer.

I don't have recorded all the times the SOC went under 19% (e.g. the battery is low warning light on the dash goes on) . Because my battery was that bad I have had this happen a few times in the last months. But I don't know if this happened in the mean time.

I'll see if I can get the battery to go below 19% to re-calibrate.

langemand

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:04 am

JeroenE wrote:The reading I have recorded which is closest to the time the battery SOH was determined by the dealer is 52.1 (also at cell 83).

"The reading" of which value: Max det or SOH? And how close, in time and km?

Max det is read from the car, so it is the same value from Torque and Soul EV Spy.

SOH is calculated in Torque and SoulEVSpy, and at least 4 different formula versions have been released in the past 6 months... So quoting SOH without specifying the source in a way so the formula version is possible to determine, is not usable for formula calibration purposes.

Max det and min det are the values we need for calibration of the SOH formula.
Improving Soul EV Spy app. Errors: Send me the soulspy.log*.txt-files
Kia e-Soul: 2019-
History:
Kia Soul EV 2015-2019: http://soul.spjeldager.dk/
Nissan Evalia 2015: http://evalia.spjeldager.dk/
Peugeot 106 Electric 2010-2015: http://elbil.spjeldager.dk/

JeroenE

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:26 am

langemand wrote:
JeroenE wrote:The reading I have recorded which is closest to the time the battery SOH was determined by the dealer is 52.1 (also at cell 83).

"The reading" of which value: Max det or SOH? And how close, in time and km?
52.1 in cell 83 is the max deterioration.

It was a month apart. I can't tell you the exact kilometres , but there would be a difference of between 2000 and 2500 km.

The reading mentioned above was made at 154444 km and the SOH reading of the dealer was somewhere when the ODO was in the low 152xxx range. I haven't noted it exactly and it isn't mentioned on the form I got either. Usually it will be mentioned on the bill, but since this is done under warranty I don't have a bill ;)

The min deterioration has been 0 for the last few months.

JeroenE

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:43 pm

JeroenE wrote:I'll see if I can get the battery to go below 19% to re-calibrate.
Yesterday I drove some extra km to get the car at 17%. Unfortunately after a night of charging the car still thinks it can only drive 70 km, even though I drove 142 km the day before. I would understand (a bit) if the range would only go up slowly, just like it does in spring. But the car seems very determined to not show any km more than 70 as a range.

The time in the display is showing --:--. The GPS itself is working (I can see that when using the map). The car will also tell me how long I have driven, it will just not show the time. For some reason I can't set the time manually either. I had not tried setting the time manually ever before. So perhaps you can't anyway? I'm not sure about this.

Also the charging times a bit low. I haven driven the car to 40% remaining and it thinks it will take only 4 hour to charge at 230V/16A. If there were no losses that would mean it would only charge 14,7kWh and 60% should be 16,2 kWh. In the past the car would estimate something like 6 hours.

It looks like there is a new battery in (because I can drive like I used to), but the car for some reason doesn't know and it also doesn't get new information from the battery. Or perhaps the car thinks the battery is giving information that is too different from the last information it received so now the car thinks communication with the battery is bad and will not accept new information?

I'm not sure if that's related to the time setting.

On a more on topic note the Soul Spy does seem to get correct information about the battery cells themselves. They started out at 4.12 this morning (except 2 at 4.14) and I drove it to 3.64 (all of them).

Before the new battery it would charge to about half of them at 4.04 and half 4.02. After my commute (with a quick charge along the way!) I'd end up with values like one at 3.42, one at 3.52, some at 3.54 and most of them at 3.64 or 3.66. Of course then the SOC would be 15% (display) and not 40%.

ZuinigeRijder

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:58 am

JeroenE wrote:Yesterday I drove some extra km to get the car at 17%. Unfortunately after a night of charging the car still thinks it can only drive 70 km

Probably you need to do this at least another time like this. Or there is something else wrong. Strange that they did not reset the BMS as part of the replacement.

JeroenE wrote:The time in the display is showing --:--. The GPS itself is working (I can see that when using the map). The car will also tell me how long I have driven, it will just not show the time. For some reason I can't set the time manually either. I had not tried setting the time manually ever before. So perhaps you can't anyway? I'm not sure about this.

This is a Kia issue, it's a satellite problem across all of Kia's vehicles

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussio ... _ds1053034

See also this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1085&start=10
Last edited by ZuinigeRijder on Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

gday

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:32 am

Curiously in my 2020 Soul 64kWh the time has not been affected. I double checked and the time is set by the GPS. I have the option of setting it manually in my car.

JeroenE

Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:19 am

ZuinigeRijder wrote:Probably you need to do this at least another time like this. Or there is something else wrong. Strange that they did not reset the BMS as part of the replacement.
Tomorrow I'll be at the dealer so they can take a look.

ZuinigeRijder wrote:This is a Kia issue, it's a satellite problem across all of Kia's vehicles
Right, resetting helped. Wierd, I thought the GPS rollover already happened last April. Strange this happens a few months later for Kia :lol:

JeroenE

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:44 pm

JeroenE wrote:Right, resetting helped. Wierd, I thought the GPS rollover already happened last April. Strange this happens a few months later for Kia :lol:
After I had reset the range estimate did change! I'm still not sure if they're related.

The dealer did not know either and had yet to hear about other Souls not displaying the time .

They tried to reset the BMS, but that didn't work. Or at least it did not change the displayed estimated range.

So I drove the car once again till 17% and charged it overnight. This morning the range estimate changed again, the range is now at 92 km (instead of 82). The SOH has also changed, it says 93.1% in Soul Spy (I have the latest version with the new formula from Elmil). The minimum deterioration is 13.8, the maximum deterioration is 17,2. So I guess the old SOH would have been around 95% so it's about the same.

I have a follow up appointment next week to check out the range estimate, but then they'll need the car for a few days. They want to see what happens when the car is near empty and then is recharged.

I think I'll see what happens in the next few days and might cancel the follow up if it looks like the range estimate is getting better.

The range as it is now is OK for me, it's only that the displayed estimate is wrong. If it looks like it will take a few weeks of driving to get it the "right" level I'd rather do that than drive around in a loaner petrol car.

ZuinigeRijder

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:04 am

JeroenE wrote:
JeroenE wrote:The range as it is now is OK for me, it's only that the displayed estimate is wrong. If it looks like it will take a few weeks of driving to get it the "right" level I'd rather do that than drive around in a loaner petrol car.

This is the estimated range with the average driving consumption the last 20 drives or so.
You can configure in the User Settings Mode (on your dashboard, with the buttons on your steering wheel):

Energy Consumption Auto Reset
* Auto Reset : The average energy consumption will reset automatically when charge the high voltage battery more than 10%
* Manual Reset: The average energy consumption will not reset automatically when charge the high voltage battery more than 10%

Or manually long press the v button manually on your steering wheel each time you did charge with the Average consumption screen visible on the dashboard:

The LCD display modes can be changed by using the control buttons on the steering wheel.
(1) : MODE button for changing modes or SELECT button for setting the selected item
(2) : MOVE button for changing items or RESET button for resetting the selected item

Still the last 20 drives are taking into account, I guess, but it could that the estimation will faster change, because the latest average consumption is way better.

JeroenE

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:33 pm

ZuinigeRijder wrote:This is the estimated range with the average driving consumption the last 20 drives or so.
You can configure in the User Settings Mode (on your dashboard, with the buttons on your steering wheel):
As far as I know the Auto/Manual setting is only for the display on the drivers console. I have this setting on manual, because I like to have more control about the resetting. Even so, the car records all trips separately in the main console.

In the main console all the trips that I made while the time wasn't working show "gps data unavailable". I guess that's why the maximum range didn't alter: the car wouldn't compute a new one because it had no new data it was willing to work with.

Of course, I don't know why that is. Even if the GPS is not working it will show the driving time, avarage speed and so on in the drivers console. So the car does know that stuff, but won't record it without the GPS working?

Anyway, Friday morning the range had changed to 99 km. The SOH in Soul Spy is now 107.8%, the minimum deterioration is 2.7% and the maximum deterioration is 3.4%. So I cancelled the appointment with the dealer, I'm now confident the range will go back to normal after I made more trips.

Return to “Technical Discussions”