A couple of noises?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicodemus

Hey all, I just bought a 2018 Kia Soul EV with 7,000 miles on it!

I'm hearing a couple of concerning sounds though. Some "knocking" noises when braking, particularly clear when you're backing up. The EV mechanic said that it's from the brake calipers moving. Does that make sense?

I also have a bit of a "squeek" or "squeel" immediately after turning the car off. One guy suggested it was the EBM but the EV mechanic said that it was electric relay turning on and off and was totally normal. Is that also normal?

I basically have two more days to return the vehicle if I'm unhappy with it. Definitely appreciate your help and expertise!

Yes, these cars are so quiet that you can hear the brake calipers engaging when braking at low speeds.

Not sure about the other sound though, my car makes or of ca-thud sound when the high voltage contactors engage/disengage, not a squeak.

In any case, the entire electric drivetrain of the vehicle should be under KIA Warranty for another 6 years or 92K miles. :cool:

I've definitely heard my 2016 squealing quietly in the garage after I have parked it and it's got 67000 on on it without blowing up yet!

Nicodemus said:
Thank you for your input!

6 years? I was thinking 8?

Well in Canada the factory warranty on the EV powertrain is 8 years, or 160,000kms.

Your car is 2018, it's not 2020, so you should have 6 years remaining. ?

Back