Creaking/Crunching Over Dips in Cold Weather

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrivingForce

At temperatures under about 50ºF, I notice a lot of crunching sounds that seems like it's either coming from the brakes, chassis or suspension. At first I thought it was brakes but I'm not sure, and the noises don't always seem to be coming from the front. Sometimes it feels like it's coming from somewhere underneath the car.

I would've guessed upper suspension mounts but the car is not old (2016) and only has 40k miles on it.

Anyone else notice similar noises? And did you find the culprit?

Hello,

I'm also own a 2016 model (36,000km), and I've noticed similar noises. I suspect the suspensions too.
I'm from north of France, and the temperatures here are now below 10°C (50°F).

And since yesterday, I also hear a "rubbing"noise from the front left, when I strongly turn the wheels to the left while driving.

Inex said:
Hello,

I'm also own a 2016 model (36,000km), and I've noticed similar noises. I suspect the suspensions too.

And since yesterday, I also hear a "rubbing"noise from the front left, when I strongly turn the wheels to the left while driving.

Mine also does it... I suspect it is due to poor quality components used in the suspension of this vehicle... At less than 60,000 KM, I'd had the front control arm links replaced (they were clunking), and both rear shocks and upper mounts due to clunks over bumps.
I have just lived with the groaning/crunch/creak sound for the last few years as nothing resolves it.. I doubt it is the brakes, as I just serviced those a week ago when I swapped the tires out for snows, and nothing was wrong with them (just needed the bi-annual cleaning and lubrication I give them since new).

Hmm.. aside from it being electric, you'd almost think this car was a kia :cool:

2016Electric said:
Inex said:
Hello,

Mine also does it... I suspect it is due to poor quality components used in the suspension of this vehicle... At less than 60,000 KM, I'd had the front control arm links replaced (they were clunking), and both rear shocks and upper mounts due to clunks over bumps.
I have just lived with the groaning/crunch/creak sound for the last few years as nothing resolves it.. I doubt it is the brakes, as I just serviced those a week ago when I swapped the tires out for snows, and nothing was wrong with them (just needed the bi-annual cleaning and lubrication I give them since new).

Hmm.. aside from it being electric, you'd almost think this car was a kia :cool:
LOL you are exactly right in that this is a Kia. My wife owns a Hyundai so I knew what to expect!

Edit - for greater certainty, my post should have read "front stabilizer bar links", not control arm links.

Ah yeah.. A kia. Next EV a Tesla? Or am I in for even greater hurt? Lol

Mine too does the same 95,000 Km on it. Very normal of Kia's, :D.
A month ago I drove a RAV4 ev 2014. With 180,000 Km. It handles much better. No sounds. Battey still holds enough charge to cover 170 Km. If Toyota continued that model it would outsell all electric cars maybe except Tesla
Kia, and Hyundai are currently overpriced compared to their quality. Simple example, Kia eNiro has a similar price to the VW id4 !! Which is bigger and a German car!

Back