Turtle mode while attempting freeway speeds

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tofurkeydirky

Apologies for the dumb question. I just got my 2017 base on Saturday, it wasn't from a kia dealership but driving from the dealership I was able to use the freeway to get home going 70mph. Yesterday, 2 attempts and trying to go past 60, the turtle mode came on. I was at 61% the first time and somewhere between 50 and 55% the second time. The only difference between the trip from the dealership and yesterday was charge level of the battery (it was full Saturday) and maybe it got a little bit colder here (I'm in Salt Lake City Utah, it's 26°F/-3°C right now)

-
The probable reason you can't drive fast is because one cell of your battery is really bad. I have had this issue on another EV. In most cases very easy to check. Just find a steep mountain road. A very degraded battery will not be able to accelerate up nor regen down.

If your battery is really bad you should consider starting the warranty process to get a replacement.

Can it go bad like that after a few days? We did do the avenues and there are some steep hills there and regen worked fine on the way down

-
How cold was the night? Did you leave the car outside? Below -20C and the battery starts having power issues.
Did you buy the car from California. Cars from 'hot' states don't have battery heaters, and do badly in cold winters.

I'd still bet this is a bad battery cell, but maybe the cold is an alternative.

OBD 2 dongle and Soul Spy will tell you what's going on, both with cell voltages and cell temperatures.

-
This is also being discussed on the facebook group. - Facebook: SoulEV Forum

One good comment

David Nelson said:
this is exactly what is happening to my 2016 now. There are three high resistance cells causing issues so I'm starting to collect trip data in hopes Kia will replace the battery under warranty even though the BMS says worst cell SOH is still over 70%.

Back