Day time running lights

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badoogie

Hi, anyone know if there is way to enable DRL? Manual says they turn on automatically but they only come on when lights are turned on.... Trying to figure out if this is by design or some issue with the car. Thanks.

badoogie said:
Hi, anyone know if there is way to enable DRL? Manual says they turn on automatically but they only come on when lights are turned on.... Trying to figure out if this is by design or some issue with the car. Thanks.

This is an erroneous part of the manual, Soul EVs don't have automatic DRLs. The manual also says you can turn the start up/shut down chimes off but that, too, is false.

-Drew

irfca said:
That's odd, because DRL are a legal requirement at least in Ontario, Canada.

I should have been more clear; the US Soul EVs do not have automatic DRLs, despite what it says in the manual.

I have no doubt that the Canadian cars meet all legal requirements and therefore probably have DRLs.

-Drew

Hmm, I think there are a few States in the US that require it too.

I havn't thought about that in years as both my trucks have Auto lights (come on by themselves at night) and DRL all the time.
Unless I switch it (knob) to just plain off , and even then I think DRL are on

There is a way to turn them on during the day:
In the headlight knob, instead of having it on Auto, go to the 2nd setting. The first is off, 2nd is DRL, 3rd is headlights&DRL on, 4th is auto. Turn to 2nd setting.

tylety said:
There is a way to turn them on during the day:
In the headlight knob, instead of having it on Auto, go to the 2nd setting. The first is off, 2nd is DRL, 3rd is headlights&DRL on, 4th is auto. Turn to 2nd setting.

The second setting is running lights, not DRL.

The LED eyebrows will come on (as they would as proper DRLs), but so will the tail lamps and dash lights. This runs the risk of accidentally leaving your headlights off at night because by all indications to the driver, everything is on. I believe it would also give you the "lights on" chime when exiting the vehicle.

Actual DRLs are independent of other lighting systems and turn on and off automatically. Why the Soul EV doesn't have them is a mystery, especially because the feature is mentioned in the manual.

In a misguided effort to reduce battery load, Kia decided to forego DRL's on EV's, although they are probably present on EV's sold in Canada. The LED array above each headlight serve as 'Parking' lights, and would do a fine job as DRL's. Can't believe that running these LED's would have a noticeable effect on range.

A dumb, dumb decision by Kia. Really remarkable considering how well-thought-out the rest of the car is. I routinely drive with my headlights on just because of this misguided thrift.

I opened up the headlight assy & found the wire feeding the LED eyebrow light & the amber front side light. Cutting that wire on both sides & feeding it with 12V that is always on when the car is operating would give you a DDL. I could not find the desired voltage from the fuse block nearby, so it is now a future project, which may require a wire to be run through the firewall to find the appropriate 12V source.

cybermorse said:
In a misguided effort to reduce battery load, Kia decided to forego DRL's on EV's, although they are probably present on EV's sold in Canada. The LED array above each headlight serve as 'Parking' lights, and would do a fine job as DRL's. Can't believe that running these LED's would have a noticeable effect on range.

The DRL's on Soul EV's are present on EV's sold in Korea. And I think you are correct there is no noticeable effect on range. There must be another reason why this feature is disabled in the US rather than 'misguided effort to reduce battery load'.

I was just wondering if anyone has found how to activate the DRL on US versions?

Thank you. Dealership informed me that there is a company in Bellingham Wa. That activated the DRL on cars purchased in the US but we're going to B.C. If anyone might have information on such a company. I'll post if I find out as sell.

not sure what the US arm looks like

but on my Canadian model with DRL this mode in the picture turns on the LED bars only

8MFk6Yt

http://imgur.com/8MFk6Yt

The switch is the same, although that turned on the marker lights not true DRL. Doing so also turns on the tail lights and side marker lights. I am looking for DRL that are always on, 50% brighter that current LED and you can leave the switch in auto as in our K9.

I will be talking to an KIA EV tech next week.

Well, the meeting with the dealership EV tech was pointless. Was not even going to look into it. I was able to activate other KIA models before myself so just going todo the same again.

nibularr said:
not sure what the US arm looks like

but on my Canadian model with DRL this mode in the picture turns on the LED bars only

8MFk6Yt

http://imgur.com/8MFk6Yt

8MFk6Yt.jpg

In my car in "auto" mode the front LEDs above the front lights will always light up, even when the front lights do not need to work.
I have one of the first batch of Kia Soul EV cars in the Netherlands (August 2014), and apparently there DRL was included.
In the Netherlands only the Kia Soul EV ExecutiveLine is sold, nothing to choose, only color.

That is exactly what I would be looking for it to do. further research is required.

Back