2soul

Re: Battery degradation

Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:29 am

jcallan wrote:I've been wondering about range in cold weather recently - do we know at what temperature the battery heater is activated?

I believe I saw this activated at -20C.. take this with a pinch of salt though, as I'm not 100% certain since we didn't have too many days below -20C, and I wasn't about to sit in a cold car to find out :)
2 Soul EV Excl

JejuSoul

Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:00 am

jcallan wrote:I've been wondering about range in cold weather recently - do we know at what temperature the battery heater is activated?
I've been wondering too!
I have seen it recommended to leave the car plugged in if it will be left unused for a few days in sub zero temperatures. This is to power the heater that will prevent the battery electrolyte from freezing. Tesla cars have a warning message for such an event.
We just had two days of heavy snow and sub zero temperatures. My car had to be left at the bottom of the hill in a school car park, so no chance to plug it in.
The car was left for 48 hours at -6°C under a thick blanket of snow.
The car did not lose any SOC and had in fact gained range when I went back to get it today. It seems -6°C is not an issue.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

ZuinigeRijder

Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:23 am

This is written in the user manual of the Kia Soul EV. According to the manual this works only when the charging connector is connected. And apparently it is an option too?

High Voltage Battery Warmer System
The high voltage battery warmer system prevents reduction of battery output when battery temperature is low. If the charging connector is connected, the warmer system automatically
operate according to the battery temperature. Charging time may shorten compare to vehicles without the high voltage battery warmer system. But, electricity charge may increase because of high voltage battery warmer system operation. The high voltage battery warmer system operates when the charging connector is connected to the vehicle. However, the high voltage warmer system may not operate when battery temperature drops below -31°F (-35°C)

notfred

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:23 am

I think the leaf battery warmer kicks in at -21C and out at -5C. I've seen one day here where the temperature during the day was below -25C and my SoulEV lost 10kms of range sitting in the car park at work.

Elmil

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:57 am

notfred wrote:I've seen one day here where the temperature during the day was below -25C and my SoulEV lost 10kms of range sitting in the car park at work.

Interesting! 10km range would be about 2kWh of energy. Was the car connected to the grid at that time? If not, this might be evidence of what's hinted in the service manual; that the battery heater is operated if needed even if it's not connected, as long as the SOC is high enough. The user manual only tells that the car must be plugged in for the heater to work.

My logger has recorded one occation when the battery heater operated in my car. It was at work in the evening and the car had been plugged in for a few hours at below -20C, just waiting for the pre-heating timer. The log shows that some of the 8 battery modules were at -1C, and the two heater temp sensor values increased from 0C to 18C in 8 minutes, at the same time all battery temps slowly got to or above 0C.
Kia Soul EV 2015 / 115,543 km Sold
Kia Soul EV 2019

notfred

Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:30 pm

Elmil wrote:
notfred wrote:I've seen one day here where the temperature during the day was below -25C and my SoulEV lost 10kms of range sitting in the car park at work.

Interesting! 10km range would be about 2kWh of energy. Was the car connected to the grid at that time? If not, this might be evidence of what's hinted in the service manual; that the battery heater is operated if needed even if it's not connected, as long as the SOC is high enough.
It wasn't plugged in, no outlets at work yet :evil:

Goofcat

Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:08 pm

I have almost 18K miles on my 2015 EV+ bought March 2015. No noticeable mileage loss. The guesstimate range has always been all over the place since I live up the mountain. Mostly it shows 93miles when fully charged. Yesterday I got a 137 estimate when I charged at work after driving around town which is mostly flat.

Like2bcheap

Thu May 05, 2016 12:58 pm

I purchased mine March'15 as well and currently have 17k miles. From new to about November'15, it consistently indicated 106-108 miles if I did charge to 100%. I commute round trip and usually only need 60-68 miles so I only charged at 80% since it gave me 86-88 miles at that percentage and I never hit below the 20% mark when I get home. I use a 40a Leviton charger with the rare use of a DC charger for longer trips. December was when it started giving me funny numbers. I charged at the usual 80% overnight and found it only had 78 miles, which was about 10 miles off the usual. It wasn't concerning at first since I figured it was due to the colder climate. I live just past the Sacramento area closer to Lake Tahoe so it gets pretty chilly here. It's been pretty much downhill from there, my 80% went from 78 miles to 76 miles to 72 miles by February'16. So I have been forced to charge at 100% which only nets me 87 miles now and 80% only yields 67 miles. I though I was doing a pretty decent job at maintaining the battery so these numbers are very disappointing.

tractioninc

Fri May 06, 2016 8:24 am

Like2bcheap wrote:I though I was doing a pretty decent job at maintaining the battery so these numbers are very disappointing.

The range displayed on your dash is just a calculated estimate, often a fairly conservative one at that. A better point of comparison is your observed efficiency -- how much did that actually decrease as the weather got colder? If you remember (or took any notes) of the typical mi/kWh you averaged in warm weather, you could compare that to what you are averaging in the cold to get an actual measurement of your reduction in efficiency and real-world range.
Kia Soul EV+, Porsche 928

Like2bcheap

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:02 pm

Unfortunately I didn't keep track by writing figures down. I just went with whatever miles it had at 80% or 100% because it was pretty accurate until it's first drop in miles at the end of 2015. We haven't driven it as much since getting a Model X(15k miles so far) early last year. Currently it's at 26k miles and only gets 72 miles at 100% and 60 miles at 80%. So I can no longer get away with 80% for my commute and even at 100% I barely make it back home with approx 5-8% remaining driving 62-65 mph. I was hoping this past summer that it would come back to life and give me back some of those miles I've lost but it instead it got worse. I'm definitely not keeping it when the lease is up. The Tesla on the other hand is still true to its range after almost a year and no dip yet on its first winter.

Return to “Technical Discussions”