fanbanlo

2016 Soul EV @ 3rd day: "Check EV System" light on. What the

Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:21 pm

:x What the... It drives fine but... I wonder what went wrong.

from starting up to warning shows (41s): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRd-U6XCAdk

jcallan

Re: 2016 Soul EV @ 3rd day: "Check EV System" light on. What

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:14 am

The service manual lists possible sources of the fault as VCU, MCU, BMS, LDC, FATC, OBC. Which is basically saying something important and electronic is not working. It could easily be a very simple communications fault, maybe a connector wasn't snapped in properly.

VCU = Vehicle control unit (main computer for making driving decisions)
MCU = Motor control unit (controller for the main drive motor)
BMS = Battery management system (determines state of charge, etc)
LDC = Low-voltage DC-DC converter (charges the 12V battery, replaces the alternator in an ICE car)
FATC = something to do with climate control
OBC = Onboard charger (converts main electricity into DC for the battery).

So if your car is driving ok, one might suspect an LDC, FATC or OBC fault?

I _think_ the amount of power taken by the LDC is labeled 'Electronics' in the power display screen. Check that is more than zero. Check charging works from the mains. Check A/C works. But also I would take my car to a dealer!

Hope that helps...

fanbanlo

Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:35 am

Thanks. I will, just wish it's not Sunday today.

fanbanlo

Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:43 pm

Weird, it works fine now, no more warning.

fanbanlo

Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:41 pm

Warning came back, seems like it comes on right after I stopped charging @ 5.6kWh at a ChargePoint EVSE and started driving. :roll:

jcallan

Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:14 am

Hmmm - maybe the On Board Charger is reporting an error? Interesting that it goes away though, over heating? Or maybe the BMS is reporting that some cells are in a bad state.

In any case the dealer will be able to see what it is when they plug in to the diagnostic port. But do let us know! :geek:

fanbanlo

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:09 am

It's at the dealer right now. They are still working on it. Looks like the cooling fan for the battery malfunctions.

fanbanlo

Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:33 pm

EV stuck at dealership still (3rd day), and they still have no clue how to fix and awaits Kia Canada for answers. :shock:

Sigh, well, they got me a courtesy car yesterday, but I MISS MY SOUL EV!

tractioninc

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:08 am

Due to all of the brand new technology and systems in these cars and they tiny EV volume Kia sells, dealer technicians are really inexperienced in diagnosing and repairing these cars. Their only option is to refer to the handful of procedures that Kia Corp has provided to them. Any issues that don't fall within those procedures have to be documented at the dealership, communicated to Kia HQ, and resolution is then lead by the EV engineering team in Korea. Replacement driveline, battery and electronics parts aren't stored on site at dealerships, they have to be sent from Korea.

Fanbanlo - it's possible that resolution of your issue might be as easy as swapping the battery fan. But if this is the first this particular fault has surfaced, the issue will be thoroughly investigated and documented in tandem between your dealership and the EV team in Korea (many timezones away, so little overlap in their shifts for direct communication) which slows down the completion of such a repair.
Kia Soul EV+, Porsche 928

fanbanlo

Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:34 pm

Soul EV returned to my hands, but not fixed. They weren't able to reproduce it consistently and they rather have me test it for them and asked me to bring it back to them if the light comes on again. :shock:

Return to “Technical Discussions”