Driving Efficiency

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edzee3

Supporting Member
I have been using the Eco setting for some months and am soft on the pedal. Most of the trips are short local-streets. Some are freeway speeds. Hardly use the A/C. The Eco level varies from 4 to 7 during my driving.
Every drive as listed in the Eco history shows efficiency as 4.1 mi./kWh.
I can't understand why it is constant for every trip I have taken.

It puzzled me for ages as well - you need to reset the mpk, it's not per-trip. Go to the mpk page on the instrument cluster and hold 'upside down triangle' on the steering wheel.

I have also found that a DC Quick Charge resets it, as does, and strangle so, just a partial charge. Full charges seem to keep the history going. I don't think they have the algorithms for it right ... I've noticed variances of as much as 20%-30% in my range, with no variance reported on the per-trip measures.

>> Correction ... I have noticed more recently that the reset only occurs if you "fully charge" to 84% with the DC quick charger ... lesser charging does not cause a reset.

I found this on how the range is calculated for the Soul EV:

How is Distance to Empty (DTE), or driving range, calculated?
DTE is based on past driving patterns by averaging the distance between the past 20 cycles and considering the operation of the HVAC system or the road conditions classified by navigation.

There is obviously a software bug as the three figures (Driving Range, Efficiency and Driving Efficiency History) do not agree.

I have reset my figures and, for the most part, achieve around 4.7 per trip. However, in my history (the other tab in the ludicrous 'Tree growing' page) I'm told every single trip is at 2.9!
If that were accurate then the range available should be a maximum of 75 miles at full charge, whereas I get a figure of around 115 at the moment (losing half a dozen to the Climate control) which is entirely expected for a 4.7 average.

Hopefully, Kia will have an update when I go for my first service in December.

There is obviously a software bug as the three figures (Driving Range, Efficiency and Driving Efficiency History) do not agree.
There is no such error in my 3 month old car.

I have noticed more recently that the reset only occurs if you "fully charge" to 84% with the DC quick charger
I just got this reset today for the first time. I have fully charged twice before without a reset.

Back