Loading Music onto the Car

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthNick

One of the things I thought was pretty cool was that the car had a built-in hard drive. I loved the idea of loading up all my music onto the car.

Last night, I went to load some stuff on, and was incredibly disappointed to find that you can only copy one song onto the car at a time, and that it all gets shoved into the same folder. In the multimedia system manual, I can see that there are multiple lists (can’t remember what page) that gives the impression separate lists (or folders) can be created, but there’s no direction on how to do so.

You can create a separate ‘playlist’, but only a single playlist that holds 100 songs. I cannot fathom why I shouldn’t be able to sort my music into folders just like they’re sorted on my USB stick.

Keeping a USB around isn’t the end of the world, but the manual recommends not to have a USB plugged in when you turn on the car, so I’m expected to plug and unplug every time I use the vehicle?!?

Am I missing something? Any info on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Is this a new feature for 2016?! As far as I know my 2015 does not have an internal storage device.

At any rate, automakers should stop fumbling around with this and just let Apple and Google handle it. I can't wait for CarPlay and Android Auto to be ubiquitous.

mtndrew1 said:
Is this a new feature for 2016?! As far as I know my 2015 does not have an internal storage device.

At any rate, automakers should stop fumbling around with this and just let Apple and Google handle it. I can't wait for CarPlay and Android Auto to be ubiquitous.

Oh, I guess it might be then? I believe it's got something like 6 GB of internal storage, can't remember for the life of me where I saw that number. Will consult the manual later. I'm sure other 2016 owners can confirm?

DarthNick said:
mtndrew1 said:

Oh, I guess it might be then? I believe it's got something like 6 GB of internal storage, can't remember for the life of me where I saw that number. Will consult the manual later. I'm sure other 2016 owners can confirm?
My 2015 has the ability to copy songs off of my USB stick into the multimedia system ... one by one ... I haven't copied enough to try to see if I can arrange them or anything, but I'll have to take a look and see if I can figure it out.

My 2015 has 667MB available for music/images and 430MB available for downloaded apps.
I have none of either.
I play music using bluetooth audio.

I use 32 gig stick, it's barely visible, it's so small. And I keep it plugged in with no ill effects. I unplug it only if I want to add more folders.

My biggest gripe is that there are no controls to view and advance to next folder (like advancing to next track/song) without punching about 4 screen buttons. I find that extremely cumbersome and I wish Kia fixed it but good. In fact, I find changing to next folder the most dangerous maneuver while driving. It takes your eyes off the road for way too long, and the finger cannot hit the buttons on bumpy american highways.

Sometimes I just give up and advance tracks -- SLOWLY -- until I reach the last track and move on to the next folder. I tried changing tracks fast and seized up the stupid thing. Had to unplug the drive, turn radio off, plug it back in and so on.

I decided to try loading music onto the car. Yes, it seems you have to load one track at a time and everything goes into the root folder.
MyMusic works fine. But I had to spend a while working out how to get back to Bluetooth.
Fiddling with buttons helped me find two features I had not seen before.
My 2015 Soul has the illuminated Speaker lights that come with the 'fun' version in the U.S.
(There's a button behind the wheel to turn this on)
Pushing the volume button in twice displays the analog clock. (If chosen in settings).
To get back to Bluetooth I used the 'Mode' button on the steering wheel.

JejuSoul said:
Fiddling with buttons helped me find two features I had not seen before.
My 2015 Soul has the illuminated Speaker lights that come with the 'fun' version in the U.S.
(There's a button behind the wheel to turn this on)
Pushing the volume button in twice displays the analog clock. (If chosen in settings).
To get back to Bluetooth I used the 'Mode' button on the steering wheel.
Wow - didn't know I could get the clock to display! Either analog or digital ... I found I had to hold the radio volume button in for a few seconds (when turning the radio / media system off) to get it to display ... I like that!! I couldn't find anything to turn speaker lights on, but I have the Canadian version ... and it seems Kia is not a "fun" here as in the US :)

At least here in Washington, the only way to get the speaker lights was to buy the package that included the sun roof. It wasn't that important to me so I don't have them either in my + model.

Back