dherres057

Re: Battery Ageing Model

Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:41 pm

Merry Christmas to all you SOUL EV Owners!

Heres the breakdown. I purchased the car a couple weeks ago from a dealership in NC and brought it back to Dayton, OH.

It has 40,531 miles on it currently - I made sure all tires were property inflated a few days ago.

CONDITIONS -
38* F on a nice sunny day - (B-Mode and ECO turned on) Only used the heat for 25% of the journey
Did my best to never exceed 68mph

Traveled 49.9 miles and the car came back on 11% battery

If my math is right I have a 55 mile range ~

Do I have a bad battery? I was expecting at least an 80 mile range on this vehicle... :(

I can also post a screenshot from my JuiceBox Pro app with battery charging stats.

Kish

Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Happy Christmas! Yes, please do upload your juicebox stats. However, we do need more data. Specifically, CED and CEC from torque pro. Then, do your range test once more and perform the calculations. Be sure to take screenshots before test, after test, and after recharging to 100%.

kWh used while driving
= total kWh discharged (CED) - total kWh charged (regen) (CEC)
= (226 kWh - 198 kWh) - (210 kWh - 208 kWh)
= 28 kWh - 2 kWh
= 26 kWh

kWh used to charge
= CEC (after charging) - CEC (before charging).
= 237 kWh - 210 kWh
= 27 kwh

In this example, the car has a brand new battery 30kWh battery (27 kWh usable). It consumed 26kWh from the battery to go from 100%->1%. It pulled in 27kWh to recharge from 1%->100%. OBC/Juicebox is 92% efficient, so it should show around 29kWh from the wall consumed:

2015 Soul EV+ | 47k miles
2017 Bolt EV Premier | 52k miles

GizmoEV

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:05 pm

dherres057 wrote:Did my best to never exceed 68mph

That is a big part of your problem right there. When you drive a car with the aerodynamics of a brick, speed really affects range. Try 60mph. With our 2016 EV+ with nearly 54k miles the battery is at 98% SOH and in cold weather is getting only 75 miles range. Just today my wife drove to work an back, 65 mi, and arrived home with 8 miles range left. The temperature in the morning was in the low 30s F and low 40s F on the way home. This is with climate control set to auto at 74F.

If she had driven 68mph she would likely not have made the round trip.
David D. Nelson

Blue 2016 Soul EV+ & Cloud 2018 Soul EV+ :D :o

JejuSoul

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:01 pm

-
Some good news from California. Most California Clean Air Decal Holders Losing Special HOV Lane Privilege

There should be fewer Soul EVs being driven fast in the HOV lanes now. From many threads on this forum it seems the primary cause of battery degradation is long fast commutes. The Soul EV does really badly when driven fast. It was not designed for this purpose. But people were getting cheap 3 year leases to take benefit of the HOV access. And given the fact that the EV media hypes the fact that EVs can drive fast, most people probably don't know that fast driving is not sustainable .

Sales figures for the Soul EV in the entire US via insideEVs.
I'd like to see the ratio that is in California. I think the sales focus switched to the NW in 2016

2014 - 359
2015 - 1,015
2016 - 1,728
2017 - 2,157
2018 - 1,134
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Kish

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:50 am

JejuSoul wrote:the primary cause of battery degradation is long fast commutes.

If we're talking about the same CA here, then this isn't quite right. The average speed in HOV lane in CA during commute time is maybe 35mph, vs 15mph outside :D Weekends are another story.
2015 Soul EV+ | 47k miles
2017 Bolt EV Premier | 52k miles

JejuSoul

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:24 am

Kish wrote:...If we're talking about the same CA here, then this isn't quite right. The average speed in HOV lane in CA during commute time is maybe 35mph, vs 15mph outside :D Weekends are another story...
Thanks for pointing out my obvious mistake. If the HOV lanes were running smoothly, there would be no reason to limit the number of cars in them.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

JejuSoul

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:47 am

-
There's a car in Germany that is waiting for a battery replacement. - Soul 2015 lädt bis 94% nach BMS Update / Antrag Akkutausch
We have some Torque data from that car. He is one of the regulars on the German forum.

According to Google translate "" I have learned that not the whole "box" but only the battery packs are replaced,""

Elmil

Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:12 am

The screenshot on the previous post made me check some statistics from my old 2015 Soul. The interesting numbers are the Max and Min Deterioration Cell numbers. They show Max det #2 and Min det #8.

My car had a change in deterioration numbers at 148 occations. The Min det was #8 in 76%, the Max det was #2 in 28% and 22% had both as above.

Coincidence..? Probably, but...
Kia Soul EV 2015 / 115,543 km Sold
Kia Soul EV 2019

Oinq

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:46 am

This was indeed a great reading, I want to thank to all the participants.

So a quick sum up of my data

My car is a Soul EV from October 2016 and I bought it in the beginning of February 2019 with 16573 km on the screen.
In the day I went to dealer to look on the car, I saw in the driving history on the infotainment system that the car has been driven almost every day until May 2018, then in the following summer and for 9 months it stood still with less than 100 km during that time. also took a few screenshots of the actual data in the time.
For a future reference (this did I also with the Peugeot iOn I had before) my normal speed is 70 kph, 90 if i'm on the highway, cruising behind a truck; I ALWAYS use cruise control, everywhere. I drive on B mode, and I try to predict traffic, so no hard brakes, or full gas (except if i'm first in traffic light and the guy on the second lane thinks he has a fast car :) ;) ).
We have a week or two in the summer above 30°C, else it's 25°C for 2 months, the winter snows for maybe a week or two; so I assume we have a mild climate here in Belgium, near the sea, so always flat driving.
I might drive 50 to 100 km on the weekend. During weekdays I charge the car everyday at 2am, automatically stopping at 80%, auto heater is on set to 20°C during maybe 4 or 5 months per year, half hour before I leave for a 6 km commute. Car is parked outside, on summer it goes under the trees for shade. End of the day 6 km back home.
My (Open)EVSE is set to 6A on 230V, so about 1.4 Kw charger. (BTW, what is your opinion? Should I raise this power setting?, I do it slowly believing it warms up less the battery)

I have been reading about spreadsheets but can find none. Is there one I can have that already plots this info? I plan to take data 1 or 2 times per month and of course, share it with you guys. @JejuSoul will you share your spreadsheet? Than I'm sure I take the useful data and can set a Torque screen for that, and reserving the other screens for other occasions.

I made on the last year on my iOn about 4 000 km, so definitely, my battery will not die by EV km, but for other whatever reason; age probably; and this car might be an interesting car to follow because of this.

ohh boy, I wrote soo much :D

Nuno

Code: Select all

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GHPRH6iS98wNhViDA

Soul EV 2016

Return to “Technical Discussions”