Geinponem

Stop vehicle and check power supply

Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:40 am

I am de owner of a new Kia Soul ev. I got it five weeks ago. It is a great car. But I have two problems:

Sometimes while driving I get the message 'Stop vehicle and check power supply'.
When I stops the car en sets the power off and on again the message disappears.
It happens to me 5 times in total.

Sometimes stops the charging automaticly after 5 minutes. But usually it charges well.
If it happans I start the charging again by plugging out and in again. After that it always charges well without interruption.
It happens in serveral situations: with my schuko-cable (240V), with my own charging unit at home (it has its own cable) and with public charging points (with the other cable with Mennekes plug).
It never happens with charging with CHAdeMO.
It happens to me about 10 times in total.
I drived in total about 2500 km with the car.

Of course I went to my Kia dealer with the problems.
They read the errors for 2 times: 3 weeks ago and yesterday.
Now they concluded the problems are probably related to eatch other: Probably the car needs a new dc converter. It is in order now.

I was wondering if someone is familiar with this problems.
And if a new dc converter is the right solution for this problems indeed.

Thanks in advance for your comment,

Tom van Vliet
from The Netherlands
(sorry for my poor English)

wrickcook

Re: Stop vehicle and check power supply

Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:35 am

I am not sure about #1.

For #2, I would try this. Make sure you lock your car AFTER you plug in.
For a while, my wife would open the charge door, lock the car, then plug in and charging would stop after a few minutes.

I never had the issue, but I routinely locked after I plugged in. Once I asker her to follow my procedure she has not had the issue again.
2016 Kia Soul EV+ - Shadow Black/Inferno Red

Geinponem

Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:53 pm

Thanks for this tip.
I will try out this next days!

JejuSoul

Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:13 am

We have never had this before on this forum but there is a similar report on the German forum.

Google Translate "Park the car and check battery power"

This is discussed on the Charging Fault Error thread because it ultimately lead to an OBC replacement. see - Re: Charging Fault error.

And now this just arrived on the Quebec forum -- Message «Arrêtez et vérifier l'alimentation!»
Sunday, I unplug my Soul and a funny message appears ....

"Stop and check the power supply!"

I leave it there and the next morning I go back to see everything and nothing works, the 12 volt battery seems to be discharged.

I have towed to the dealer, as stated in the manual in reference with this message. No response after three days, I was even told that it is probably because I left the interior light on, while the message appeared before the total discharge of the 12 volts ...

After reading a topic on the forum, I contact the dealer to talk to him about the update SA203, but it seems that this one is already performed on my Soul ...

Ideas, suggestions ???
Last edited by JejuSoul on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

SoulEV2016

Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:26 am

OBC include the DC-DC converter, i think ... ;)
(like the ioniq)
Kia Soul EV 2016 Ultimate 27 kWh - Mountain hard driving (fast). Drain 1/3 of Battery after 32km. - Unlimited highway speed (153km/h at regulator).

JejuSoul

Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:08 am

SoulEV2016 wrote:OBC include the DC-DC converter, i think ... ;) (like the ioniq)

No, in the Soul EV the DC-DC converter is part of the EPCU. It is the unit below the OBC. In the Ioniq EV they have merged the OBC and the DC-DC converter into one box. Info from EmergencyResponseGuideSoulEV.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA1Dp5VBdVE

Interestingly the controller for all of this is run by the 12V battery

The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

SoulEV2016

Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:22 pm

Perfect answer.

Kia Soul EV 2016 Ultimate 27 kWh - Mountain hard driving (fast). Drain 1/3 of Battery after 32km. - Unlimited highway speed (153km/h at regulator).

JejuSoul

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:46 pm

From the Quebec Forum
After a week of research and testing, my dealer and Kia Canada deduced that the problem was with the EPCU (Electric Power Control Unit). As far as I understand, the LDC side of this gadget transforms the high voltage into 12 volts for the battery and accessories. The part is in stock and should arrive this week.

Geinponem

Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:26 am

Here the same:

Yesterday my Kia dealer called for an update.
In consultation with Kia Netherlands they concluded that my Soul ev needs a new EPCU.
The new EPCU is in order now.
It is expected in early December. Untill the replacement I can use my Soul ev.

According to de dealer the EPCU is an very expensive part: 11.000 Euro he said!
Luckily I have 7 years warranty.

SoulEV2016

Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:32 am

Return to “Technical Discussions”