wabob

Re: recommended obd2 adapter?

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:24 pm

But, the data on them says NO to electric cars. How are you using them on the Soul? Can I, the novice, expect any difficulty setting it up on the Soul after they specifically say not for electric vehicles?
waBob
2016 Soul + Clear White

SoulEV2016

Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:13 am

the problem is not the EV, because EV use Canbus like petrol car.
the problem is the protocol of the canbus (revision) and the speed of it.
Kia Soul EV 2016 Ultimate 27 kWh - Mountain hard driving (fast). Drain 1/3 of Battery after 32km. - Unlimited highway speed (153km/h at regulator).

wabob

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:04 am

So, ? the Canbus is written into the OBDII adapter?? One person says he blew his Canbus which confuses me. I cannot mess up this vehicle for I am not knowledgeable enough to do repairs. If I purchase the OBDLink LX or MX, (I only have one car, the Soul), plug it in and Bluetooth it to a Samsung tablet am I safe and is this all I need to achieve the readouts I desire or do I need to do other configurations, ie programming? If I need to do other things then I have just come to a halt for my skills are still in the Slide Rule era.

Thank each of you for your attempts to help me.
waBob
2016 Soul + Clear White

SoulEV2016

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:29 am

Yes, the chip that it decrypt the OBD2 protocol (ie. CanBus revision) must be as fast as the protocol of the car.

Bad OBD2 adapters crash when they try to decrypt (and the car like or not the result) ... but keep in mind that the OBD2 plug is on a protected plug.

At maximal risk, you blow a fuse (OBD2 chip is shortcut on the 12v line) or the car shutdown because it see a wrong process (a really wrong ...) on the OBD2 protocol.

So, usually, a wrong adapter is too slow to decode the OBD2 procotol (newer) of an EV car (it miss frames at minimal result or crash at maximal result).

The other problem is the (poor) quality of the bluetooth chip associate with the OBD2 chip decoder ... that's why Torque Pro author have so many complains with this (poors) adapters because members don't understand and trust the adapter (because it's a industrial product) and believe that the program is in fault.

In the reality, it's always the adapter ... and sometime, the bluetooth chip (with the OBD2 adapter) linked to the smartphone, too.
Kia Soul EV 2016 Ultimate 27 kWh - Mountain hard driving (fast). Drain 1/3 of Battery after 32km. - Unlimited highway speed (153km/h at regulator).

wabob

Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:36 am

Thank you Soulev2016, I will give it a try, too busy for the next month, but sometime in the next couple months. I will buy the OBDLink LX unless you think another is better. Again thanks for your help.
waBob
2016 Soul + Clear White

SmoothJ

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:24 pm

wabob wrote:Thank you Soulev2016, I will give it a try, too busy for the next month, but sometime in the next couple months. I will buy the OBDLink LX unless you think another is better. Again thanks for your help.

DIdn't we say NO to that one already? That is one reason why I picked up the MX vs LX (just remembered).

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=711#p6135

JejuSoul

Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:00 pm

I think the OBDLink LX is on the NOT recommended list was because of the report about it not working for the TPMS codes. You have confirmed that the OBDLink MX is working. I think it is likely that the OBDLink LX has now been fixed and will work. If someone has one, it would be great if we could confirm the OBDLink LX is working too.

The only major error caused to the car by using an OBD reader has been a reset of the default air conditioner temperature. This happened during the decoding of the CANbus when random codes were being tested to see what would happen. The most common worry is that leaving the OBD reader permanently on will drain the 12V battery. So far this has never happened.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

wabob

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:27 pm

Thanks again. I must pay attention. ;)
waBob
2016 Soul + Clear White

JejuSoul

Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:58 am

-
Update - May 2017.
Have seen recent reports from both Korea and France that newly bought KW902 adapters are working fine.

*** DO NOT PLUG A NEWLY BOUGHT KONNWEI KW-902 UNTIL YOU READ THIS. ***

Turbo3 wrote:I have recently been getting reports of strange things happening (I-Key error) when newly bought Konnwei KW-902 adapters are plugged into the L eaf.

I bought one this week and got it today from A mazon and had the same problem.

On opening it up I noticed they have changed the circuit board from the board in the old one I have been using.

The problem is that on at least some they have used the wrong resistor across the CAN bus. The spec is 120 ohms across pins 6 and 14.

They are using a 20 ohm resistor which is a near short of the CAN bus. If they are using automated equipment to build their boards then they most likely loaded the wrong reel of resistors. That means there are potentially many many of these out there.

Before plugging in a newly bought Konnwei KW-902 into your L eaf please have the resistance between pins 6 and 14 measured. If it is not 120 ohms return for a replacement until you get one with the correct resistor in it.

Shorting out the CAN bus is very serious. If you experience any strange behavior when using any OBDII adapter immediately stop using it and have the resistance checked. Never drive your L eaf under these conditions.

The CAN bus is used to control the vehicle it is not just a monitoring port. The communications on the CAN bus control the L eaf and shorting it out should never be allowed.

The thread discussing this is - Warning: Defective Konnwei KW-902 on the market
Turbo3 is the author of L eafSpy. The KW902 is the recommended adapter for both that project and for the Torque Pro codes we use on the Soul EV.

I think this explains the problems SmoothJ had with his adapter. - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=471&start=300#p6155

SmoothJ wrote:I am still working on this but when I plug in my new kw902 elm327 it does not turn on. So naturally I press the button and then my car goes nuts and starts saying stop vehicle and check power supply. Even if I dont press the button it does the same thing. As soon as I remove it I have no issues with the car....
Last edited by JejuSoul on Sun May 28, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

SoulEV2016

Wed May 10, 2017 9:44 am

Update (to be clear)

Image YES
Image NO
Image NO
Image NO
Image NO
Image YES (when update first).
Image YES
Image YES but with 120 Ohms check ( http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23776 )
Image YES (in ELM v1.5 only).
Image NO
Image YES
Last edited by SoulEV2016 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Technical Discussions”